What New Beer to Try

I'm not a big drinker.
Generally drink more wine than any other alcoholic drinks.
I quite like dark fruit ciders rather than apple (or rather haven't found a proper fresh apple cider I like).

When it comes to beer, I am a larger person, not ale. I don't like strong beers.

For the shame of it, I drink Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg sometimes... whatever is on offer at the time. Never have had Stellar.

I have had other beers (budwiser, peroni) - to be honest, they all taste pretty much the same to me.

I feel I should break away from Fosters.
Are there any others that I can readily get in the supermarket that I should try?
Saw some guy with Moretti?

Cheers!

I'm not a big drinker.
Generally drink more wine than any other alcoholic drinks.
I quite like dark fruit ciders rather than apple (or rather haven't found a proper fresh apple cider I like).

When it comes to beer, I am a larger person, not ale. I don't like strong beers.

For the shame of it, I drink Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg sometimes... whatever is on offer at the time. Never have had Stellar.

I have had other beers (budwiser, peroni) - to be honest, they all taste pretty much the same to me.

I feel I should break away from Fosters.
Are there any others that I can readily get in the supermarket that I should try?
Saw some guy with Moretti?

Cheers!

No reason to shift from your preferred choice if it still does the job for you.

If there is a Lidl/Aldi near you, I'd recommend checking out their main bottled lager (I've forgotten the name, but it should be easy enough to find) and the German wheat beers they have.

Both the lagers and wheat beers taste crisp and clean, not too strong.

I agree with the Moretti. I really like it when I'm in a cold lager mood (I do also like ales, stouts etc). It's a decent strength without being too strong (I'm not really a fan of very strong lager for taste reasons alone). It's got a nice full bodied taste you don't get with most of these 4% beers and none of that nasty chemical taste I associate with UK tinnies. However you need to make sure it is actually the imported one, not the one brewed in UK (they seem to have tried the same 'bait and switch' trick that most continental lager brewers try, and lost a lot of sales, so seem to have reverted to importing it).

Last edited:
OP says he doesn't like ales, although these 'new' IPAs might be quite different to the sort of thing you might associate with hand pumps in the pub. I agree, worth a try. A lot more flavour than the usual Fosters, XXXX etc but still refreshing rather than 'warm flat beer'.

Ha! I've literally just drunk a chilled bottle of Oakham Citra! It's a fine IPA. Although I find "Mr Hoppy" on the label slightly disquieting. Gives me slightly sinister undertones for some reason, although not enough to put me off drinking it obviously.

16525687036424110873997103090212.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer lagers made with maize, so the Latin American Sol, Brahma and Corona are my favourites. I also enjoy Benelux White beers with flavourings such as Hoegaarden and the discontinued Wieckse Witte

Thanks for some views on this.

I'll admit I'm more of a sweeter taste person. Have tried some of these IPA drinks, specifically from Brewdog but they were just really strong and I didn't enjoy it at all so have been put off that whole sector.

Will take a look at Aldi beers and the others mentioned to see what they're like.

Thanks for some views on this.

I'll admit I'm more of a sweeter taste person. Have tried some of these IPA drinks, specifically from Brewdog but they were just really strong and I didn't enjoy it at all so have been put off that whole sector.

Will take a look at Aldi beers and the others mentioned to see what they're like.

If you are going to aldi, try williams brothers beers, heather ale, (fraoch) is a great beer that I think you wil like.
Or any off them as I have not tried one I did not like. (y)

OP says he doesn't like ales, although these 'new' IPAs might be quite different to the sort of thing you might associate with hand pumps in the pub. I agree, worth a try. A lot more flavour than the usual Fosters, XXXX etc but still refreshing rather than 'warm flat beer'.
I thought the op said he didn’t like Ale because he didn’t like strong beer although most good Ale’s are not strong but very flavoursome as you know

Back
Top Bottom