What modern razors will you recommend me?

Based on my limited experience, a Feather Popular is super-mild. Only £12, but it does have a plastic handle and is a TTO if that bothers you.

Next would be the Merkur 34C, then the Muhle R89 (which I find milder than the EJ DE89, possibly due to it being lighter weight). The 34C is nice, but a two-piece, whereas the R89/DE89 are 3-piece and you can fit a different head at a later date for a different experience.

The Futur is great, but I doubt you'd ever advance past the lowest setting if you want a really mild shave.

Last edited:
My first DE safety razor was a Merkur 42c ("Merkur 1904"), I then moved on to a 34c because I wanted to try a 2 piece. I carried on using the 42c as a travel razor until I passed it on to work collegue who wanted to get back into DE shaving. So I would suggest the 42c, as well as my current travel razor which is a 15c.

Most Merkur's are top drawer IMHO. I have owned most of them at one time or another 33C, 34C, 1904,11C and lot's more numbers..Merkur blades on the other hand...shank.
If you want to save a bit of money get a Lord. L5 has a Tech head and is about 5 squid and the L6 has a Merkur style head and is a couple of pounds more. I tried both and they were great. A bit light though as I think they are made of Aluminium.

Back
Top Bottom