What modern razors will you recommend me?

I am still confused about the aggressiveness of the razor.

My first DE was MTO. I had difficulties using it. It was brutal. I couldn't get a good shave.
The combination with Dorco blade was a horrible experience. Tugs, nicks and cuts.

Told this story to a friend and he was kind enough to PIF me a 1920s OC vintage Gillette. It shaves beautifully. It just glides easily, cutting every whisker on its path. I have the smoothest shave ever with the first try.

So the term aggressive is confusing to me. For me, MTO is aggressive. It brutally maimed my face.

While OC Gillette was very gentle and kind, shave everything without any efforts. That's why I think OC Gillette is mild.

I really love how "mild" OC Gillette is and hated the "aggressiveness" of MTO.

With that back story, what kind of modern razors should I get and try? And what about its aggressiveness?
I have a Blackbird on my mind but what else do you recommend?

Horses for courses but my direction will be with the Merkur Progress or the Gillette Super adjustable (which imho was the best DE they made). Of course the Progress is an ancient design so there is nothing modern about it just that is still in production, the Gillette is a newer design but not in production anymore. Once you hit these razors with the right blade you can experience a wide range of mild to aggressive settings.

Horses for courses but my direction will be with the Merkur Progress or the Gillette Super adjustable (which imho was the best DE they made). Of course the Progress is an ancient design so there is nothing modern about it just that is still in production, the Gillette is a newer design but not in production anymore. Once you hit these razors with the right blade you can experience a wide range of mild to aggressive settings.
I am still trying to get a hold of a Progress or a Gillette Super Adjustable.

Gillette SA aka Black Beauty was my second DE razor and would recommend it without hesitation. Should be able to find a decent one for less than £30

Alternatively if you want new and modern, the Standard is a good call. Gets the job done efficiently without any drama

Merkur 33c or Feather Popular.

Or a 1940ies British Fat Handle Tech, you can get them on ebay for £10-£25. I used one last night with a Gillette Silver Blue blade and it was a great shave; really smooth with no cuts or razor burn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom