What made your day a good one

Hiya,

Well, after quite a while of being under the weather with various problems my days have gotten considerably better. Yeah, finally up and about with hopefully the worst behind me.

Just a quick list of things that were getting me down, starting last November:

Had a bunch of serious COPD related emergencies which landed me in the hospital every few weeks maybe 5 times total. Got acute bronchitis from cigarette smoking for almost 50 years. Stopped those over three years ago and heh, finally recently even stopped smoking dope daily which helped an amazing amount. Hadda quit altogether which is a sad thing but the alternative is worse. Sheesh, one hospital visit I busted two ribs from coughing so badly. Haven't been hospitalized for that breathing problem since December.

Then had a few operations in January. One was for cancer, and a kidney and ureter was removed but that was all with no other organs affected thank God. At the same time I had my prostate reduced in size which according to my Urologist was the size of a watermelon. The guy had a hell of a sense of humor but that operation left me with a 6 inch incision being stapled shut from my navel down to my schwanzenstiker. Worst part was when the staples were removed 10 days later. Turned out I hadn't healed up and my guts ended up spilling out into my underwear that same day on the way home from the doc's office. Emergency surgery followed but now that's all fixed up. Can now piss better than ever and got to keep my prostate as a bonus! Still, seeing my entrails outside my body was kinda unpleasant.....

Also busted my left food after landing wrong trying to jump up through a window. That's healed up by now.

Last couple weeks I have been feeling lots better and hopefully nothing else with be going south anytime soon. Got my appetite back and my attitude's lots better than it has been in months.

Sheesh, it's a bitch being an old geezer who abused himself in multiple ways most of his life. Makes me appreciate things more when things are right.

Martin

Last edited:
Hard to follow that Martin @dodgy, suffice to say Godspeed in your recovery.

Kinda reminds me of a famous George Best quote:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Good luck man...

Aww The Dodgster, you sound kinda like the ballad of Paddy the Irishman who met the bucket coming down ! Hang in there good buddy, here's shaving at ya.

JohnnyO. o/

Hard to follow that Martin @dodgy, suffice to say Godspeed in your recovery.

Kinda reminds me of a famous George Best quote:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Good luck man...
That's an amazing co-incidence - I met up with Marty yesterday and while we were having a beer after visiting a Flea Market - of which more later - that very quote came up in conversation even though the old bastard knows nothing about football. I think he was calling it kick-ball but my hearing's not too good.

Hiya,

Well, after quite a while of being under the weather with various problems my days have gotten considerably better. Yeah, finally up and about with hopefully the worst behind me.

Just a quick list of things that were getting me down, starting last November:

Had a bunch of serious COPD related emergencies which landed me in the hospital every few weeks maybe 5 times total. Got acute bronchitis from cigarette smoking for almost 50 years. Stopped those over three years ago and heh, finally recently even stopped smoking dope daily which helped an amazing amount. Hadda quit altogether which is a sad thing but the alternative is worse. Sheesh, one hospital visit I busted two ribs from coughing so badly. Haven't been hospitalized for that breathing problem since December.

Then had a few operations in January. One was for cancer, and a kidney and ureter was removed but that was all with no other organs affected thank God. At the same time I had my prostate reduced in size which according to my Urologist was the size of a watermelon. The guy had a hell of a sense of humor but that operation left me with a 6 inch incision being stapled shut from my navel down to my schwanzenstiker. Worst part was when the staples were removed 10 days later. Turned out I hadn't healed up and my guts ended up spilling out into my underwear that same day on the drive home from the doc's office. Emergency surgery followed but now that's all fixed up. Can now piss better than ever and got to keep my prostate as a bonus! Still, seeing my entrails outside my body was kinda unpleasant.....

Also busted my left food after landing wrong trying to jump up through a window. That's healed up by now.

Last couple weeks I have been feeling lots better and hopefully nothing else with be going south anytime soon. Got my appetite back and my attitude's lots better than it has been in months.

Sheesh, it's a bitch being an old geezer who abused himself in multiple ways most of his life. Makes me appreciate things more when things are right.

Martin
Woah! And your still alive to tell those tales! That is impressive Marty. Sounds like you are on the mend and have survived more than the majority. Quitting the dope I have heard is hard but all psychological so manageable. Good luck for the future. The image of your guys spilling out whilst driving.... Crazy!

Speaking to my wife and family while out here at sea. Makes for a great day any day.......................as long as I am not getting grief

Oh, and getting towards the end of a good book, 'The unexpected inheritance of Inspector Chopra'

Hiya,

Thanks to y'all for the positive comments. Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention was the enlarged prostate issue would sometimes keep me from peeing, no matter how badly I needed to. Ever have that happen? Well that isn't something I recommend and would end me up at the emergency room with a catheter being inserted. That musta happened half a dozen times, with me driving myself there usually in the very early mornings. Hah, learned many versions of the pee pee dance and got to be an expert on various medical people's technique with a catheter.

Far as quitting dope goes after 40+ years of daily use, I now need a replacement to keep my busy mind quiet and have tried a few tranqs with no success so far.

The guts spilling happened on the way home in a local grocery store and the 911 Emergency Medical guys needed to be called. Heh, once they saw what had happened to me and what was wrong, one of em said "Whoa!". Heh, takes a lot but I impressed him.

Yeah Rob, kickball was correct.

Last edited:
Wish you a speedy recovery Martin.

Hope that's the end of your health problems.

I probably shouldn't ask, but I can't help it - why did you jump out of a window?

Visions of the husband coming home early and the need for a quick exit come to mind..

I probably shouldn't ask, but I can't help it - why did you jump out of a window?

Visions of the husband coming home early and the need for a quick exit come to mind..

Nothing as exciting as dodging a pissed off husband. I had just got home from a doc's appointment and had been having trouble for a while with my house door lock and key. The damn key resisted turning and next thing I know it broke off in the keyhole. I tried getting in through the kitchen window by jumping up a bit and catching onto a narrow ledge but missed and fell back, landing awkwardly on my left leg and badly busting the 5th metatarsal bone. That thing hurt like a bastard for three weeks, even though I skipped going to the hospital. Yeah, I was tired of that place.

Oh Johnny, I remember reading you had some recent problems of your own. You mentioned some kinda painkillers you had received for something and I can highly recommend dilaudid next time something is needed. For a while there when being in the hospital hooked up to the IV, I was getting some strong doses every couple hours. Now that was entertaining.

Last edited:
Jeez, Martin! You've had one hell of a rough ride there buddy. I've heard of 'out of body' experiences but not 'insides of body out of body' experiences. Never heard such a tale of multiple woes in my life! You must be made of strong stuff to get through all of that. God speed your recovery, sir.

You should take up baking and put your ah, er, product in there. Nice cup of tea and a slice of cake really would be quite something then.

Take care, auld yin.

I've heard of 'out of body' experiences but not 'insides of body out of body' experiences.

Take care, auld yin.

Hey what's doin Big G,

You always did have a way with words and those made me smile. Thanks for the positive waves sent in my direction buddy.

Just wanted to say I'm very glad to see you sticking around this goofy forum for so long this time and I hope to see you posting here for quite a while longer.

Your friend,

Martin

Oh yeah, your tea comments were pretty amusing too in that other thread.

Watched my Nan suffer that for years, Sean ........ Wouldn't wish it on anyone ....... Hope that clears up soon, mate......
Thanks

Like a lot of blokes, I give the doctors a wide berth as possible, but in this instance after a couple of days I was down there like a shot. Thankfully the antibiotics have done their job well and if the current trajectory continues I should be bouncing around tomorrow

Here's hoping @dodgy has a full and lasting recovery too

Here's hoping @dodgy has a full and lasting recovery too

Hey thanks for the kind words Sean,

Hah, I forgot to mention having pleurisy too fairly recently. Thought I was having a damn heart attack with strong pain on my left side near my heart for a few days that got worse, so drove myself to the emergency room only to discover it was nothing life threatening. Treatment was painkillers and ibuprophen and the symptoms went away in a week. Jeez, that scared the hell outta me though.

Back
Top Bottom