What made your day a crap one??

It’s a small tank (ours is 2 gal) that is installed on the water intake line, which prevents pressure surges in the system. If you are on a municipal water system the water pressure in the system can fluctuate usually higher at night.
Looked it up, I've never seen one, I've seen bladder tanks on water pumps for well water, but those are to maintain pressure when the pump is not running. No idea how they could keep pressure down on a public water system. But if it works it works, hope you didn't get any damage from the leak.

"The Eastman 2-gallon thermal expansion tank is designed to prevent dangerous build-ups of pressure in your water heater tank. The thermal expansion tank stops hot water from backflowing into the cold water line while preventing hot water from escaping through the pressure relief valve and onto the floor. This constant fluctuations in water pressure can be dangerous and they can damage your water heater tank permanently, properly installing a thermal expansion tank can solve all these issues. Recommended for homes with a closed-loop water supply system This product comes with a 6-year limited warranty and is factory pre-charged at 40 psi. Complies with NSF-61 and Lead Free law. UPC approved."

09476997.jpg

COVID has arrived at our house. Wife and eldest are a few days in with it. My chest is tightening and the youngest seems to be going the same way.
I've only just read your post, Chris

It's a worrying time for sure.
The only advice I can offer is to ensure that you all eat as much as you can manage, as when I had Covid I couldn't face food , and didn't eat for 5 days or so and it no doubt made my recovery period longer.

Speedy recovery for the Boyce family

P

The only advice I can offer is to ensure that you all eat as much as you can manage, as when I had Covid I couldn't face food , and didn't eat for 5 days or so and it no doubt made my recovery period longer.

P
@Boycie83 - what he said mate - yours - I.

P

@Boycie83 - what he said mate - yours - I.
Thank you chaps

Well, I admit I am fretting over my lil' furry friend from Devon. How 'bout a sitrep, Boycie? :unsure:

Yeah, hope you're on the mend Chris. My mate's got it too, well, nearly the whole family. Mildish but still an undesirable state of affairs. GWS

Wishing you & family a speedy recovery Chris.
Thank you chaps. Not feeling great but my wife is on the mend and the kids don't seem to be any worse than any other virus they've had.

I've installed a boatload of pressure relief valves between the water meter and a house, never seen a tank. You can adjust the max PSI with the valve. Are tanks a Canadian thing?
Don’t think so. I have a leak defence system on my water system, which automatically shuts the water supply down when abnormal running what is detected. The shred is manufactured in the USA and requires and expansion tank be installed on the water supply to avoid false alarms. My system is not sold in Canada and was imported from the USA (California).

Looked it up, I've never seen one, I've seen bladder tanks on water pumps for well water, but those are to maintain pressure when the pump is not running. No idea how they could keep pressure down on a public water system. But if it works it works, hope you didn't get any damage from the leak.

"The Eastman 2-gallon thermal expansion tank is designed to prevent dangerous build-ups of pressure in your water heater tank. The thermal expansion tank stops hot water from backflowing into the cold water line while preventing hot water from escaping through the pressure relief valve and onto the floor. This constant fluctuations in water pressure can be dangerous and they can damage your water heater tank permanently, properly installing a thermal expansion tank can solve all these issues. Recommended for homes with a closed-loop water supply system This product comes with a 6-year limited warranty and is factory pre-charged at 40 psi. Complies with NSF-61 and Lead Free law. UPC approved."

09476997.jpg
That’s what mine looks like. A crappy photo:

65CF7838-124B-412B-9AE0-DABEB4D9196B.jpeg

No sooner did we fix the problem with our hot water heater and expansion tank than our microwave stopped woraking this morning. It’s a Wolf (bloody expensive) and not two years old yet so it’s under warranty. It’s not the electrical breaker and all the other electrical equipment, switches and plugs in the kitchen are working just fine. I’m hoping Wolf will be able to get a technician out early next week. I get really aggravated when high end appliances, such as Wolf, go on the blink. The microwave it replaced was inexpensive, but it gave us 22 years of trouble-free service and was only replaced because we renovated the kitchen

No sooner did we fix the problem with our hot water heater and expansion tank than our microwave stopped woraking this morning. It’s a Wolf (bloody expensive) and not two years old yet so it’s under warranty. It’s not the electrical breaker and all the other electrical equipment, switches and plugs in the kitchen are working just fine. I’m hoping Wolf will be able to get a technician out early next week. I get really aggravated when high end appliances, such as Wolf, go on the blink. The microwave it replaced was inexpensive, but it gave us 22 years of trouble-free service and was only replaced because we renovated the kitchen
They have internal fuses, but you will void your warranty if you open it up. The spade connectors will cook and stop working also, I've cleaned and soldered a few to get them back into service. But if you're not comfortable working on microwaves don't go there, just let the warranty take care of it.

Yeah you don't want to mess about with microwave energy. In another life long ago I worked at a defence company and I remember some trials involving a Ford Transit with a radome on top and a marine (hi output) magnetron, connected by a tangle of well used old waveguide. Some of the joints weren't the best, and as it was experimental, there were no safety interlocks. One of the young techs went inside the van for some reason or other, not realising the source was on and pretty much cooked his plums.
There is often beryllium oxide in microwave ovens, stable enough if left alone but anything that looks like white ceramic should not be disturbed. Breathe that in and its proper bad news.

Yeah you don't want to mess about with microwave energy. In another life long ago I worked at a defence company and I remember some trials involving a Ford Transit with a radome on top and a marine (hi output) magnetron, connected by a tangle of well used old waveguide. Some of the joints weren't the best, and as it was experimental, there were no safety interlocks. One of the young techs went inside the van for some reason or other, not realising the source was on and pretty much cooked his plums.
There is often beryllium oxide in microwave ovens, stable enough if left alone but anything that looks like white ceramic should not be disturbed. Breathe that in and its proper bad news.
Stay out of the magnetron and don't blow anything out with compressed air. As long as you're just checking voltage with a meter you are OK.

They have internal fuses, but you will void your warranty if you open it up. The spade connectors will cook and stop working also, I've cleaned and soldered a few to get them back into service. But if you're not comfortable working on microwaves don't go there, just let the warranty take care of it.
Thanks TobyC, but this clearly is a job for the professionals. My knowledge and skill level in anything like this stops at changing a lightbulb and only then if it just requires screwing one out and in.:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom