What factor contributed to my unusually bad shave?

I've been using brush/cream/soap for years........ way way way before I decided to give DE a serious try.

I can't remember the last time I used some canned goop.

You should get better shaves with good lather so the sooner you move off the oil only shave the better.
If you are uncertain about building lather make it easy for yourself. Use a "super lather" with soap and cream combined, rub face with soap stick and put a smidge of cream in the brush and work it into your'e chops, Palmolive stick & cream isn't luxurious but effective and cheap. See mantic.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/34/8N0C1cLELQo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/34/8N0C1cLELQo</a><!-- m -->

I've watched a few of those mantic vids, they're really helpful. I was trying to do the "change one thing at a time" thing that was recommended, bah, I see now the point you were making about oil and lather and cushioning and blades though -scratches my bristles- right, time for a shower and soapy shave...

Right just had a shave tonight and right from the off the Derby blade I was using felt like it was tugging my face. From the first stroke! That was before I even got onto the sensitive areas of my face.

My lather was fine, had a nice hot shower, kept a nice hot face had a 2 pass shave WTG then XTG, kept as light a pressure as I could and it still felt like they were tugging.

Maybe Derbys just arent for me, gonna try Personnas (red pack) next time.

antdad what blades do you get on with?

My shave was a lot better than the aforementioned troublesome one but the shaves im getting from derby are worse than when I shaved with Merkur so Im going to push through my sampler kit trying a different blade every fortnight or so.

My face is easy to shave, my neck is the problem area but on my face, just under my sideburns I pulled the skin taught and used a light touch and it just felt like the blades were snagging in my hair with the grain.

My shave was a lot better than the aforementioned troublesome one but the shaves im getting from derby are worse than when I shaved with Merkur so Im going to push through my sampler kit trying a different blade every fortnight or so.
I have the same problem with Derby's and merkur so your not alone, it takes time to find the right blade, happy hunting.

andyjreid said:
antdad what blades do you get on with?

You are doing it the right way by systematically going through the sampler pack. If you pull your burners do you pull and tighten your neck skin?
I try to avoid it myself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwGX415wkPw[/youtube]

andyjreid said:
Red personnas will be the next port of call. Antdad, I've checked that video before, haven't been over stretching ;)

Hi Andy
Tried Red Personna for the 1st time myself today. Pleasantly surprised. Very smooth blade. Sounds if it would be ideal for you at the moment. when I started DE's a year or so ago, I got a couple of bad shaves / sore coupons, think sometimes you can try too hard for perfection.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom