What factor contributed to my unusually bad shave?

Well today my shave was strangely very bad.

I only changed a few things from my usual shave routine.

Today I used,

Trumpers Rose Cream
Merkur HD w/ Derby on day 2

I usually use TOBS Mr Taylor and being kinda new to DE shaving this was only the second time I've used a blade more than once (been trying out different makes). My technique was exactly the same i.e. light hold of razor, 2 pass WTG and XTG which has never resulted in bleeding like I had today.

Trumpers has performed poorly for me in the past with an M3 but I fancied something different today however my 2nd shave with a Merkur blade was ten times better than a 2nd shave with my Derbys.

So is it the Trumpers not working for me, or the derbys, or both?

My neck is fine now after a stingy session with alum and a healthy dose of TOBS balm.

Help :(

Hello AndyJ & welcome aboard :mrgreen:

Blades are a personal thing. Literally, what works for you may not for others & vica versa..... How was the first shave with the Derby?

Trumpers creams are recognized as a quality product. How are you lathering it and what is the consistency of the lather?

First shave was almost nick free, bearing in mind im still improving my technique. When I was using merkurs my 2nd and 3rd shaves were better than today.

The lather was of merangue consistency however I find that trumpers can go from too dyr to too wet in a micro second.

I believe it could also be caused by the fact im trying to shave more often therefore my skin may still be very sensitive.

Hello Andy - welcome to the forum.
I'm really not keen on Derbys, and I wouldn't want to use one more than once, as the edge seems to me to deteriorate badly and suddenly. That'd be my prime suspect. The Merkurs don't enjoy a very good reputation, but that's one complaint I haven't heard about them. Increasing the frequency of shaving could also be a factor: it'd do no harm to give it a rest for a day or two.

Echo what Arrowhead said..... And assuming the Merkur blades are doing it for you, i would head back in that direction.

Alternatively continue with the Derby but go back to TOBS. The rule of thumb is to change one thing at a time when you are experimenting.

The lather issue sounds like you are not using enough product.

Good luck.

I know it's difficult not to chop and change frequently whilst searching for that ever improving shave but try to shave with the same combination for at least a week if not two, you will honestly make faster progress in the long term whilst your technique is improving.

Also bear in mind that blades from the same pack can vary in quality so a poor experience with a blade may not be representative and prep, prep and more prep with hot water especially if shaving without a shower beforehand.

I'd never dream of shaving without having a shower or bath first. Because Im relatively new to DE shaving I've been using a simple North to South pass however I think Im going to have to change that. North to south works well on my cheeks, upper lip, chin and middle of the neck however upon closer inspection of the grain of my hair I think im going to have to start shaving the sides of my neck from the centre out (WTG) for a first pass.

Hey, it's an on going learning process aint it? :D

wait a minute how did you sneak in from the shire without me noticing!!! (I used to have a season ticket at Fir Park)

I lurked for a while............ then after a terrible shave yesterday........ started posting. ;)

P.S. I like the phrase "used to".......... as my mrs would say..... Mon The 'Well

aye mon :D I moved down south which was the reason for me giving it up.
As for the Derby (or any other blade) I would stick with it like antdad said,I just had a 7th shave with a derby just to see how far I could push it.Six was its limit lol my neck was in bits this morning.

andyjreid said:
Hey, it's an on going learning process aint it? :D

It certainly is, I can only shave one side of my neck from East to West WTG, mapping the direction of beard growth really helps particularly on the sensitive neck area.

Andy / Boab
Lanarkshire boy myself, Holytown actually, went to 'school' in Bellshill, although the therapy has helped.
Oh! and your both claimed ;)

Regards

Back
Top Bottom