What did you use before?

henkverhaar said:
Usually (I think) people make the transition from multiblade to DE first, then switch from can to soap. In my case the move from can to soap and brush preceded the move from multiblade to DE.

I did the same as you Henk. Using soap and brush with cartridge before converting to DE. Don't fret...you are not alone... :lol:

A Panasonic electric, with a couple of wet shaves per week with either a Mach 3, or a Quattro and KOS gel.

The electric worked pretty well, but it used to miss bits and if I tried to get them I would end up with some irritation.
The KOS gel was very hit and miss, but the I can use a Mach 3 now with no issues. I think the prep, and the brush are the key.

Ian

Gillette Sensor
Wilkinson Sword black bowl
Grandads old boar brush (Gillette i think)

for as long as i remember i've used soap and a brush, the conversion to DE has only come about in the last few years
in the distant past i used some kind of canned foam\gel
i also remember my first razor was an electric but that went in the bin the day after my birthday and i did actually have a DE years ago
i think it was a WS job, all silver, metal handle, plastic head that opened length ways on a pivot with a button
never managed to find a picture of one

Sensor then Mach 3 with canned foam or gel.
Moving over to a brush and soap made the biggest impact. What was a chore became something far more enjoyable.

I started looking for a DE razor a few years ago but it wasn't till I found a thread on an internet forum that I was able to find one. And much more. :lol:

EVERYTHING!

Never used the same product twice.

Started off with twin bladed carts, then moved onwards and upwards as the multi bladed versions came out. 'Lubrastrips', and little wires that went over the blades. 'Lubrastrips' with stripes and aloe vera in. And vibrating handles.
I used a Phillips coolskin electric for a while. You had to buy little sachets of watery nivea cream to put in that.

Noxema canned foam (menthol) was the best of a bad bunch. All the canned gels were much the same, as are all of the King of Shaves shaving gels. Only colour and scent changes. It might say "Ultimate Kinetic Silicone Vitamin Enriched Turbo Charged Formula!" on the pack. But "Cold and Slippy" is what it is.

I had ok shaves with most of the stuff, apart from the electric which was downright painful, and used to rip the face off of me on a daily basis.

I still rarely buy the same product twice in a row. But for different reasons now. Before, I was looking for better. Now (largely thanks to these darned forums) I'm like a kid in a sweet shop. Lots of good stuff to try, but only one face to shave.

Sensor Excel and canned goo for years. 1-2 passes straight down with no attention paid to beard mapping.

I still have my razor. A limited edition World Cup one. Plan to give it to SWMBO / perhaps use it on travels. It is a good razor and in my opinion, the last great razor gillette ever made.

bazwalk said:
Gillette/Ann Summers 5 Blader. To be honest it didn't do that bad a job, but the cartridges are the equivalent of a fiver each here.
I have to agree, I think I can get just a good shave with a M3 or fusion, but the cost of the cartridges are just so high. That and a few other thing led me to discover the joys of DE shaving.

I started with an electric (with a brief unsuccessful encounter with a wilkinson sword 3 blade behind bars razor for a while) and switched to wet shaving when I left my electric at a job I was on. I've since got it back. I then started with the multiblade and foam then blue gel. A blocked sink possibly caused by the gel, led me to look at traditional lathers. Hand soap applied by hand was immediately better than the canned stuff. Within a week I'd got the wilkinson blue bowl and brush, then some weeks later the wilkinson DE razor (not great). Then visit into London to trumpers, exits with futur, coconut cream and brush and a happy bunny.

Started with a plastic Gillette Blue II and then my father gave me an electric which I used for about a week. Then is was Sensor, I stopped after Sensor and went to DE, I have a Mach 3 becuse the Sensor cartridges are hard to come by if you need to use a cartridge but so far I have avoided the Fusion range and intend to do everything in my power to keep it that way,

Mainly used a Mach 3 but for as long as I can remember I always used a Brush and Cream too. I used a brush and cream way before I started DE shaving. Prior to that I mainly used KoS Gels.

first started on single blade Bics, then 2 blade disposable Gillettes, electric for a while, Sensor, Sensor Excel, then WS Quatro all with whatever goo was on 3 for 2. The wife then bought me the L'occitane soap in aluminium bowl and a WS 'Bristle?' Brush. DE was just a natural progression. Don't think i will go any further though - love the RAD too much.

Any twin blade disposable with Men-u Barbiere brush and soap. Decided I'd like to try 'proper' wet shaving DE style so, following some research on B&B, I bought a Merkur HD from Paul at C*******t, and that, as they say, is history :)

Smell The Glove said:
I had ok shaves with most of the stuff, apart from the electric which was downright painful, and used to rip the face off of me on a daily basis.

My experience with a Philips Coolshave was exactly the same. It tore me to bits. I wonder if the gel/moisturiser thing was just faff to take attention away from the fact that they probably used sub par blades in the rotary mechanisms. Either way, Im pretty sure like all "fads" they probably don't make the sachets of goop anymore making a Philishave Coolshave, just a bog standard, yet expensive, rotary shaver.

Whatever the latest Gillette or Wilkinson multi-blade was promoted in the advertising; they were the latest and greatest and therefore the best thing since the last one, why wouldn't I want one? They wouldn't lie to me would they?

I tried all the different types of canned goo trying to find a good one, never managed it and now never will, they are all shocking.

I used a wilkinson sword FX diamond. I very happily binned it.
I've always used a brush. Originally a Wilkinson brush and boots soap. Things have improved since then.
I also bought a Remington foil shaver. I was ok provided you shaved every day. Any more growth than that forget it.

Back
Top Bottom