What did you use before?

Before you became interested in real wetshaving that is?

I was bearded for about 1½ years before taking up DE shaving.

Prior to that I used a Wilkinson Sword Protector 3D, and then when the blades became just too expensive I used Gillette & Bic disposable razors.

I was never happy with either in terms of shave quality or price.

Mach 3 and nivia sensitive.

Funnily enough both terms were correct, I used to shave at 2304mph and always felt bloody sensitive afterwards... :x

One pass, Fusion. Used a combination of goo or the Wilkinson Blue Bowl with the Wilkinson synthetic brush! :? Also used the Braun clean and charge electric thing - which to be honest, as electrics go, wasn't too bad. It wasn't as close as a wetshave, (nor as enjoyable as a DE wetshave) but it did the job when i was away, having to share sinks, pressed for time etc. (I will still use it i guess from time to time when i am away on Exercise etc etc)

Mrs AJP bought me the Mühle/Jagger Sandalwood soap and bowl for Christmas and it has since progressed......quite alot :lol:

Gillette/Ann Summers 5 Blader. To be honest it didn't do that bad a job, but the cartridges are the equivalent of a fiver each here. Nacets etc. are 3p each and now I can afford a real Girlfriend :D .

(Would that get you banned on Bombs & Bullets ?)

Mach 3 & the appropriate Gillette system gel... about once every time the stubble got just too bloody irritating. Had razor-related skin irritation from being about 15 - lots of trips to the GP for totally ineffectual advice. Switched to DE, saw him socially about 3 months after switching and he was stunned at the difference, demanding details of what I'd changed.

Mach 3
Canned Gel/Body Shop Shaving Cream
Nivea ASB

(I was young and so followed the crowd!)

then: Remington electric shaver with Origins Pre Shave Oil

I'm very happy I discovered traditional wet shaving now in my younger years. I've got many more great shaves to come!

Having said this people who don't use traditional products still have a large number of good products to choose from. However, I think it's the harsh cartridge blades which let them down.

WS Quatro Titanium, Tesco foam which I found to be much more slippy than any other brand.

Not a bad shave, I would try to get a really close shave but got razor rash and ingrowing hairs if I tried. When I ran out of blades I would search out something new, and not as obscenely expensive but didn't think the WS classic would be any good seeing as it was so very cheap. Alas that was the only DE razor I had ever seen before I found B & B after someone on another forum mentioned it.

Any cheap 2 or 3 blade disposable razor with some cheap canned goo, I bought my first DE when I was 16, I think it was a G1000, then went into carts, that lasted till I got a wilkinson sword DE about 2 years ago then the boots one but as I didn't know anything about technique I was getting weepers etc, so back to the above, thanks to shaving forums I'm back on the straight (no pun) and narrow.

Braun electric shaver until it gave out (in 1985 or so), then Gillette Sensor, then Philishave 'wet', from ca 1998 to 2002, then Mach 3, until ca begin 2009. From then on Merkur Futur.

With the Sensor I mainly used De Vergulde Hand soap and a cheapie boar brush (didn't even know about badger brushes then). Mach 3 with self-foaming creams and gels from aerosol cans. The Futur was a result of returning to using brushes (home-made badger brush), and soaps (also homemade). Usually (I think) people make the transition from multiblade to DE first, then switch from can to soap. In my case the move from can to soap and brush preceded the move from multiblade to DE.

They sent me a free mach 3 when I was 18. So I used that and whatever canned stuff was on special.

after about 8 years of that I picked up 2 40's style superspeeds on B&B and shaving has become increasingly expensive since. I still use the mach 3, quattro and KoS Azur from time to time but swmbo often uses up the shiny new cartirdges before I have the urge to reach for one.

I started with an Old Spice shaving stick and a tatty-looking brush and a Gillette Trac II razor. Then I moved on to whatever was the latest greatest razor, gel, oil.

The one "set-up" I stuck with for the longest was Gillette Sensor and Noxzema foam (in the light blue tin).

Back
Top Bottom