What are you listening to?

How could we ever mention DMC without the track which brought them to the attention of half the world. Looking back the video is a bit cheesy, but hey I guess it is a great carrier for one absolute classic song. So more from those 'inability to tie shoe lace Boys Run DMC' and 'It's like that'

Utterly charming - from an age before cynicism became the norm - pioneers of multi-culturalism - the backdrop for the video reminds me of the end scene in 'Get Carter.' Get the guy's ghetto blaster - they hadn't invented IPods at that point. From a similar epoch - I'll see you - and raise you - granted - maybe not top hole on the misogyny front - pun intended - but fun - none the less. If you haven't heard their instrumental album - 'The In Sound from Way Out,' check it out - I love playing it to people, and then asking, what is this? People that might ordinarily have rejected the Beastie Boys out of hand. 'Hello Nasty,' on the other hand - is one of the worst albums ever recorded. Anyway - let's party! - I.

To be honest I can't say rap, hip-hop and similar genres are a style of music I have ever truly explored, but hopefully with retirement on the horizon I can find more time to go down a few more avenues as I certainly do like their appeal. In the main I have really just found the more commercial/popular side of the music. I need to expand my library and get past the commercial aspect.

Out of those I have come across though I must admit I am impressed by a number of bands. A big fan of the Wu-Tang Clan and the South African Die Antwoord even if they are as much in to the video side as they are their music. So I raise you with the following

To be honest I can't say rap, hip-hop and similar genres are a style of music
Me too - I'm just too white, if not, pale blue - I'm Scottish- it does not resonate mostly - when it is good - it is playful - all that scratching is making me itch - I can't be bothered with the nastiness and violence implicit in a lot of it. You mentioned Pink - I think? Her cover of 'White Rabbit' is astonishing - my partner put me onto this - she - my partner, that is - freely admits to having a major girl crush on her - beforehand - the idea that anybody could do this track further justice - might have seemed alien to me. I'm a major Jefferson Airplane fan - did I waste all those hours twisted out my head on hallucinogenics? No - this is very good - filmed - I think in Barcelona. Not sure. Her band rocks - @NatJag - I'll bet that you aren't as miffy as the bass player. :cool: - I.

Me too - I'm just too white, if not, pale blue - I'm Scottish- it does not resonate mostly - when it is good - it is playful - all that scratching is making me itch - I can't be bothered with the nastiness and violence implicit in a lot of it. You mentioned Pink - I think? Her cover of 'White Rabbit' is astonishing - my partner put me onto this - she - my partner, that is - freely admits to having a major girl crush on her - beforehand - the idea that anybody could do this track further justice - might have seemed alien to me. I'm a major Jefferson Airplane fan - did I waste all those hours twisted out my head on hallucinogenics? No - this is very good - filmed - I think in Barcelona. Not sure. Her band rocks - @NatJag - I'll bet that you aren't as miffy as the bass player. :cool: - I.

I kind of got in to Pink via a rather strange route but rather glad I did. At first I thought 'Oh my, not another warbling screaming female singer'. Which of course she is anything but.

Having a tub thumping pro-drummer of a son sees me dragged to obscure drum clinics and odd little venues to see some drummer or other.

'Mark bloody Schulman who?'
'The drummer for Pink you ignorant old sod of a dad'.
'Oh, I thought that was Nick Mason'.
'You dick'

So off I went to see yet another bloody tub thumper.

My oh my. This bloke is effing good. A bit 'aren't I a God' at first but this soon disappeared. respect given. The guy was a human metronome. Anyone who can play a 15 second beat right down to the precise second is amazingly brilliant. Add to that he simply knew how to bash drums and an absolutely entertaining evening. Plus he was very approachable and very happy to chat away merrily. He did mention a few words about Pink herself, about her band and in particular the guitarist and I thought it was about time to try a new avenue. So I did, and I have never looked back since.

She is very unique, very much human, very much for her fans and an absolute pro from one end to the other. What a great artist as you have found out

I kind of got in to Pink via a rather strange route but rather glad I did. At first I thought 'Oh my, not another warbling screaming female singer'. Which of course she is anything but.

Having a tub thumping pro-drummer of a son sees me dragged to obscure drum clinics and odd little venues to see some drummer or other.

'Mark bloody Schulman who?'
'The drummer for Pink you ignorant old sod of a dad'.
'Oh, I thought that was Nick Mason'.
'You dick'

So off I went to see yet another bloody tub thumper.

My oh my. This bloke is effing good. A bit 'aren't I a God' at first but this soon disappeared. respect given. The guy was a human metronome. Anyone who can play a 15 second beat right down to the precise second is amazingly brilliant. Add to that he simply knew how to bash drums and an absolutely entertaining evening. Plus he was very approachable and very happy to chat away merrily. He did mention a few words about Pink herself, about her band and in particular the guitarist and I thought it was about time to try a new avenue. So I did, and I have never looked back since.

She is very unique, very much human, very much for her fans and an absolute pro from one end to the other. What a great artist as you have found out

Get a load of this -

Manu Chao - potentially the best gig I have ever seen - they played Glasgow - no shit - we were standing in line - as you do - to get in - my partner noticed the band huddled outdoors smoking - and offered them a Fortuna - she smokes Spanish cigarettes - man - we got upgraded - and she was lavishly kissed. Front row - no shit - we were there with another couple - both close friends - he and I ate an Anzac biscuit - ordinarily a fairly normal type of thing - but - the biscuit maker - who is from Brisbane - had heavily laced them with hashish - totally awesome pollen - if you would care to admit to knowing about these things. Fuck - an hour in - I have never danced like that - before or since - awesome - potentially - the Grateful Dead were better - but other than a ticket stub - I have no clear memory of that gig. Well you know? - you go see the Dead - you need to be in the room - and indeed out of it - so - this clip of Manu Chao - is from the same tour we saw them on - same band - totally awesome - I don't dance well - people on fire move better than me - but - see previous reference to the Anzac biscuits. Incidentally if your Spanish isn't that good - clandestino - is slang for refugee. Enjoy - I.

Edit - if you are ever in Madrid - his dad runs an entirely brilliant bar in the Lavapies barrio - not for the faint-hearted. It's pretty hard core. Some knowledge of Spanish - might be useful. Otherwise - you are not going to get served.

Last edited:
Get a load of this -

Manu Chao - potentially the best gig I have ever seen - they played Glasgow - no shit - we were standing in line - as you do - to get in - my partner noticed the band huddled outdoors smoking - and offered them a Fortuna - she smokes Spanish cigarettes - man - we got upgraded - and she was lavishly kissed. Front row - no shit - we were there with another couple - both close friends - he and I ate an Anzac biscuit - ordinarily a fairly normal type of thing - but - the biscuit maker - who is from Brisbane - had heavily laced them with hashish - totally awesome pollen - if you would care to admit to knowing about these things. Fuck - an hour in - I have never danced like that - before or since - awesome - potentially - the Grateful Dead were better - but other than a ticket stub - I have no clear memory of that gig. Well you know? - you go see the Dead - you need to be in the room - and indeed out of it - so - this clip of Manu Chao - is from the same tour we saw them on - same band - totally awesome - I don't dance well - people on fire move better than me - but - see previous reference to the Anzac biscuits. Incidentally if your Spanish isn't that good - clandestino - is slang for refugee. Enjoy - I.

Edit - if you are ever in Madrid - his dad runs an entirely brilliant bar in the Lavapies barrio - not for the faint-hearted. It's pretty hard core. Some knowledge of Spanish - might be useful. Otherwise - you are not going to get served.

I wouldn't know where to start with best gig. Probably the Buzzcocks in the 80's at the Royal Court here in Liverpool. It was just one of those 'had everything gigs'. Between that and the Ramones at the University. Two and half hours? They never had a library of songs to last that long. Then realised they were playing the same material over again. Spent all night squashed in to one of the PA speakers and walked out deaf. Then the list goes on. Most bizarre was 'The War Lords' (two ex Hawkwind members) and 'Genghis Grime' at the St.Helens Citadel. Totally in the blind as to what to expect, but whatever it was it was utterly entertaining and whacky. Oh and standing pissed in the middle of a field in Bootle two years ago at the Bootle Music festival watching The Farm and Space. Probably the best music festival I have ever been. Lacked the pretentious feel of the likes of Glastonbury and very much 'local' and 'real'

On the subject of Spanish bands, I am sure you have heard of them, but I met Margo De Oz while stuck (blissfully) in a hotel for 10 days in Mexico City during the great Icelandic volcano saga. What a fantastic bunch of blokes. Still in touch with the guitar tech who also played guitar for 'Hate Breed'. Had a great night out downtown with them and some of the guys from Muse, of which one turned out to be a right cock, but apologised the next day so forgiven. Plus two Norwegian ladies, but that is another story. Just a case of being stuck in the right place at the right time. My best friend (A Spaniard who lives in Copenhagen) describes Margo De Oz as being the Spanish equivalent to the Pogues.

Last edited:
Satanfriendly said:
Thanks Tony. What great days they were. If only people realised how influencial the Pistols were to be on the back of their notoriety they might never have given them the press they gained.
You're so pretty - oh - so pretty - oh so pretty va-vay-cnut. A very peculiar pronunciation in English.

I'm old enough to remember the originals - I re-engaged with them - with this - if you have Spotify - Live in Finsbury Park.

And we don't care - ahhhhhhhh - John Lydon - in the early 90's - I was sitting in a cafe in Tirana - the capital of Albania - working as a photographer - not actually working at that point - trying to pull my interpreter, mostly - it worked - I am pleased to remember - a strange and weird place to be in - you had to bunk up with the locals - the only hotel that would have foreigners - my visa was numbered no.0049 - after Enver Hoxa died - the toilet paper we used - only his propaganda books - nice and thin. Strange - none of the plumbing worked -
- cost 50 dollars a night - that was our budget for a week - we ended up dossing in the dorm halls of the university there - met some nice people - who translated - and kept us out of jail - for 10 dollars a day - the filth were really avaricious - don't try and travel before lunch - because they were hungry. I got pulled and fined - at midday, for the taxi - not having its rear-view mirror light on. There is not much you can do with that.

'Rise,' by PIL came over - the frankly terribly bad speakers - 50 years of Communism - no shit - nice - I shall never forget the day - but - the Pistols - seemed a long time ago - I had forgotten about them for years - how good were they? Defined a genre.

So - if you are not familiar with his genius - shame about the Utterly Butterly thing - and I am a Celebrity - but none the the less - I am prepared to forgive him anything -

Yours - I.

@Tony'schin @Scotshave @Satanfriendly

Last edited:
'Could be wrong
I could be right
I could be wrong

I could be wrong
I could be right
I could be black
I could be white
I could be right
I could be wrong
I could be white
I could be black

Your time has come
Your second skin
The cost so high
The gain so low
Walk through the valley
The written word is a lie.'

Ooft - there you go - I.

@Tony'schin - fat - forty - and back - ha ha - from 'Filthy Lucre' - the Pistols - I'm not just being offensive - :) - annoying my neighbours currently with the album - it kicks ass - no danger - as John Lydon said - we'll take some on board - he said many things - mostly - fuck you - with a nasty sneer - ha ha - yours - From our younger days - certain things remain cool - and this is one of them - @Satanfriendly - you too - John Lydon wants me to call you a cnut -- he was dyslexic to to some degree - not really - fhuk yuo - yuo -mcnuts. I lVoe yue lla - yours - .ha ha - cnut. Don't force me- I am half way through a thesis - written by someone wildly dyslexic - 100,000 words - to be proofed - I have to correct it - with out changing her voice. - Fuck - it is about collaborative theatre - fuck. I'll make my money - fuck - @Satanfriendly - paid by the hour - thnk fck - Iai. x

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom