What are the top 5 soaps that you use the most?

I always see threds about what are your top soaps performance wise?

But what I’m curious about is. What are your top 5 soap/cream that you reach for and use the most frequently?

For me in no particular order.

Vito’s green from a kilo. As you will see, I like to use Italian soaps a lot.

Proraso Green in the late spring through the summer and the red more for the rest of the year.

Turkish shave sticks. Arko, Jikoryen get lot’s of use. Especially on work days.

Razorock what the puck. The blue barbershop as it’s one of my favorite scents. Green is a nice one too.

CBL seems to be the American artisan that I reach for the most. Usually on the weekends or days off.

So that is my top 5 most used. Look forward to seeing what your list will look like?

Last edited:
I had a look at the stats from my Shaving Buddy app and was bit surprised by some of the results, mainly because I remember using some of the lower down numbers more recently and spread out throughout the year so it seems like they've had more use.
This is based on shaving every one to two days since I started recording the stats on 2nd January 2023.

Number of uses in brackets.

1. Hampshire Wool Fat no. 1 (19)
2. Nanny's Cream of the Croap Moroccan Sands (17) - this was a free sample and I still have enough for five or more shaves!
3. Kent (Mitchell's Wool Fat), tallow version (16)
4. 3p Mandorla (15)
5. RazoRock Zi Peppino (12)

It also surprised me because I've used the above 79 times combined, meaning I've used a lot more soaps than that to have maintained so many shaved throughout the year (257 to date).

Used the most is an interesting take on just how much you do actually rate the soaps you say you do ...

Interesting! Here goes (likewise, from 2023 and excluding canned foam):

Savonniere du Moulin (19)
Haslinger Schaffmilch (17)
Mitchell's Wool Fat (14)
Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood (12)
Imperial Leather (Vintage) (9)

What it does highlight is that with so many soaps, it's actually quite hard to use your favourites.

Aye an interesting take indeed, perusing my exceedingly sad excel spreadsheet, I get the following:

Ariana & Evans - Tobacco Road 49
Mitchells - Wool Fat 27
Ariana & Evans - The Novelist 16
Seaforth - Black Watch 12
Ariana & Evans - Lavendar Noir 11

This has been weighted heavily by Fat February (Mitchells) and Austere August (Tobacco Road).

If those month events didn't happen, Tobacco Road would still have topped the list, everything would move up one and Stirling Oro Valley would have made the cut.

Interesting as I would actually consider Shire 2, Tobacco Road, Novelist, Oro Valley and B&M Lavender as my current list toppers.

Have to agree with you @pjgh , the rotation does make it difficult...self inflicted 'problems'.

I agree with all the soaps we have that it’s interesting to realize what your 5 most used actually are.

I don’t keep as close of tracking my shaves as you guys do. So it took me a little more time to figure it out.

I kind of found it interesting as well

IMG_4081.jpeg
Not a huge surprise, this is my top ten since I started wet shaving. The only exception being the A&E Monte Carlo which I now rarely use but was a go to in my first year before my ever going soap acquisition took over! Again no surprise the A&E and HC&C bases have come out on top of the bases. I’d love to try more Seaforth but they are more awkward to source.

Most used in 2023 for me

MDC -used it for 3 months solid
MWF Tallow- I’m down to my last half puck and a 1/4 puck made into a shave stick
D.R Harris Arlington bowl
Valobra Tallow shave stick
Tabac Tallow puck- I’m down to about 10 shaves left on my last puck but I’ve got a lightly used shave stick of it left.

Since rejoining this forum I’m discovering all these new to me soap makers so I can see 2024 being a bit different.

Most used in 2023 for me, in no particular order.

1. Tabac (orginial formula) - got into Tabac last year, had tried previously but did not like the scent - this time around, wonderful soap.
2. Arko (stick) - when I had to travel more frequently to look after my father, Arko became a go to: easy to pack, great lather and performance - now a regular in the den.
3. The Gentleman's Groom Room - Essence of Scotland Mountain Yew Traditional Shaving Soap - excellent skin properties, love the lather, scent, and post shave skin feel.
4. Signature Soaps - Valentia - another stunning artisan soap - excellent skin properties, love the lather, scent, and post shave skin feel.
5. Martin de Candre Original - I am always amazed how little water is needed to produce a lovely, thick lather.

As ever I appreciate that YMMV.

All the best,

Chris

I’ve no idea so asked Matron. She said I use that ‘green stick thingy’ a lot so I’m guessing that’s Palmolive. Britannia by Signature Soaps pops up a lot, the fat Fat, Wilkie stick too but I’ve been using Ingram and Trumper’s Spanish Leather a bit too. Ye’ll nae get analytical stats from me as just getting the dang shave done is an achievement.

Next shave? Aye, the green stick thingy probably.

I had a look at the stats from my Shaving Buddy app and was bit surprised by some of the results, mainly because I remember using some of the lower down numbers more recently and spread out throughout the year so it seems like they've had more use.
This is based on shaving every one to two days since I started recording the stats on 2nd January 2023.

Number of uses in brackets.

1. Hampshire Wool Fat no. 1 (19)
2. Nanny's Cream of the Croap Moroccan Sands (17) - this was a free sample and I still have enough for five or more shaves!
3. Kent (Mitchell's Wool Fat), tallow version (16)
4. 3p Mandorla (15)
5. RazoRock Zi Peppino (12)

It also surprised me because I've used the above 79 times combined, meaning I've used a lot more soaps than that to have maintained so many shaved throughout the year (257 to date).
I can't find the app anywhere on the Playstore, is it still updated?

I can't find the app anywhere on the Playstore, is it still updated?
I was using that for a time but it was abandoned a long time ago, then I think it was removed in line with the newest Android update. I switched to a spreadsheet beginning of last year because of how buggy it had become.

Saying that, if you find the apk you'll probably still be able to install it.

It transferred over to my new phone through my Google account but yes it seems like it's gone.
It has a few features which have broken recently and the date was always in US format which bugs me.
A spreadsheet would be good except I use them all day at work

Back
Top Bottom