Vintage or Modern Adjustable?

Just to let everyone know - I received Wellboy's generously loaned black slim adjustable today. It's a lovely razor but the feel is completely different to my DE89. Although the slim is perhaps a little heavier, the weight is more evenly distributed - whereas the EJ is very head-heavy.

Looking forwards to the morning!

I've had most vintage and modern adjustables, The Futur, a Progress, Slims in all flavors, Fatboys, Toggle, Gibbs Adjustable, Etc... I think the only ones I've not had are the executive and the 195..(and the chrome Toggle)

My verdict..

In the modern camp, Progress, because the Future and I never got along, and boy did I try with that one. The Progress I have is pretty banged up. (cracked handle & all), but stil an ok razor when I find it again.... (it's in a box somewhere I think...)

In the vintage camp, it's a bit harder, I'm no fan of the Fatboy myself, it just doesn't cut the mustard, and I've tried about 10 different ones to make sure..
The Gibbs is lovely, but just not practical as you need to mess with the blades to make them fit, but it's a lovely shaver.
Looks wise & technically, I love the Toggle, but it's just not that brilliant, not worth the money, unless you're really into collecting ;)
Then there are the slims, I love the short handle superslim, it just feels right, that and the standard slim are my fav.

Here is a pic of some of the adjustables Gillette made:
Rasierertypen-11.jpg

Max

Thanks Max - that's a very comprehensive reply! Number 11 is the type I've been loaned and am looking forwards to trying. Number 9 would be my birth razor, so I'll have to keep an eye out for one in the future :)

FrenchBlade said:
The Gibbs is lovely, but just not practical as you need to mess with the blades to make them fit, but it's a lovely shaver.

Max

In that case you need to find a personna adjustable to add to your collection as is the same as the Gibbs but no modding of blades required

Back
Top Bottom