Vintage or Modern Adjustable?

I can let you have a black handled adjustable in shaver grade for you to try over a few weeks. (To let you try other blades with it.) if you are interested.

wellboy said:
I can let you have a black handled adjustable in shaver grade for you to try over a few weeks. (To let you try other blades with it.) if you are interested.

That's a very kind offer! If you're serious I would gratefully accept - have a think on it and let me know. I'll PM you my address and if you've got a PayPal account I can gift you the postage.

I would suggest one vintage and one modern. Vintage I'd go back to the start of DE and get a 1918 or before Gillette open comb '04 style razor (not the ball end ones). Or going up 40yrs I select the 1941 Gillette Ranger. It was the start of the whole Superspeed thing.
Modern I'd go with the Merkur adjustable Futur or Progress.
The best of the old-middle-new.

PM me your address and I'll get it off to you this weekend.

ChopperHarris said:
wellboy said:

That's a very kind offer! If you're serious I would gratefully accept - have a think on it and let me know. I'll PM you my address and if you've got a PayPal account I can gift you the postage.

antdad said:
Just because it's adjustable doesn't mean you need to adjust it during a shave once you've found a setting that works for you. The Progress is certainly weightier than the slim but it isn't that light (69g??) however the adjustment mechanism on the Progress is pants whereas the Slim/FB are works of engineering art and I still own mine. ;)

Ah but, The Progress is a simple twist of the bottom dial. The Slim has to be loosened, adjusted, tightened. Or at least mine did.

For a solidly made, well built razor with a wide range of adjustment which performs with the usual teutonic efficiency of German engineering the Progress would get my vote.

I have a Slim which I thoroughly enjoy for sentimental reasons & it is a nice razor which still performs excellently for a razor probably approaching its half century. Of the 2 though, on a desert island if it had to be an adjustable it'd be the Progress.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz::icon_razz:

chrisbell said:
Sounds as though I'm going to have to treat myself to a Progress!

Those who have Progresses do seem to be very attached to them. It's interesting how it seems to get a much better reception than the more expensive Futur. However, I've taken up Wellboy's kind offer of a vintage loan so I'm looking forwards to getting a bit more personal experience!

Wow..........I got a Progress for a birthday present off the missus a couple of weeks ago and gave it its first outing on Friday teatime,here I am now at one p.m. on Saturday and the beard is just starting to come through now,that was my closest shave yet,set at 3 with a Israeli Red blade and La Toja stick.
I also have a birth year Slim adjustable but I cant compare the two as I havent tried it yet,cant imagine it being better than the Progress though
Regards
Derrick

ChopperHarris said:
Hi all,

The truth is that I have no need of any more razors. There is definitely no need to buy anything else.

But... I am an avid reader of the BST messages and find myself really liking the idea of an adjustable razor. There have been a couple of vintage Gillettes sold recently (one still for sale) and a couple of modern Merkur's too. Any / all would be a nice way to waste my money!

So, before I decide to take the plunge I thought I'd ask the question on here. Which is 'best' - modern or vintage?

Stu

Hi Stu,

You're right about wanting to waste some cash on an adjustable or two. Personally, I can't think of anything better than to dial in the exact amount of bite I need and no more than that. Makes the shave better for me, especially since there's so few razors that are preset to my low number.

The Slim and Super have similar heads, so trying either one would be ok. The Slim does get more love though. The Fatboy will shave somewhat differently than those two because of it's more rounded head design (among other reasons). You need to try em yourself as you probably already know.

Now the Progress sounds interesting because of how many people flat out love em. Heh, lots of people also hate these things for one reason or another. It's one of the very few adjustables I'd like to sample sometime, mainly because of the positive comments regarding weight, performance, and build quality.

I hope you enjoy the adjustable freefall experience,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom