Valet autostrop VC2 blades

Hi all,

I acquired a Valet VC2 razor (was part of a lot, didn't actually go for it) which is in a nice condition after the cleaning. I checked online and these razor accept only feather FHS-10 blades due to the small pins that are in the blade base. My understanding is that the feather pattern holes in the blade match the original valet blades pattern holes, so the blade can actually be placed correctly.

Has anyone used a VC2 with feather blades to share his experience? I don't have the blades and i have to admit i am not so keen to buy them unless someone reports that the shaving experience is exceptional that is 100% worth trying :)

You're right ... it's the Feather blades that are compatible with the Valet razors. As an aside, there are some very rare Valet models branded as Feather in the Japanese market. I'm hazy on the how and the why, but they exist.

Personally, I don't like the Feather blades ...

I had a comprehensive collection of Valets some years ago and enjoyed collecting them, but ultimately sold the lot off as I just did not enjoy shaving with them. I bought the VC range again recently (I just wanted a VC1 but got a VC2 and VC3 thrown in ... and then picked up a VC4) and out of curiosity bought a couple of packs of Feather blades. One shave reminded me why I moved them on last time.

As with all things, you might well absolutely love the Feather blade and this format so I would wholeheartedly encourage you to at least try.

If you like the actual razors, look for a VC1 or a VB1 (or the rarer 7 O'Clock - see: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/autostrop-7-oclock.25467/) which you can use a GEM blade with the spine removed. Just a pinch at each end of the spine with a Leatherman and it pops straight off.

@gthe I believe I still have a FHS-10 lurking at the bottom of the drawer somewhere from my OneBlade days which I am happy to post to you so you can try before you go ahead and purchase a pack. As @pjgh I personally did not get on with them much. Not so much the quality of the shave but their longevity. YMMV

@gthe I believe I still have a FHS-10 lurking at the bottom of the drawer somewhere from my OneBlade days which I am happy to post to you so you can try before you go ahead and purchase a pack. As @pjgh I personally did not get on with them much. Not so much the quality of the shave but their longevity. YMMV
That would be a very kind and generous gesture @ATG , thank you for this. I appreciate it. I would be glad to get the blade if you don't need it to test my valet. Of course i am willing to cover the postage fees.

Blade just arrived here! Ultra fast shipping to Belfast. Thanks again Dan. I need to leave my stubble couple of days to grow before trying the valet ... seems not a daily razor :)
The razors are great, the SE Feather is not. A shave or two and replace, or suffer the consequences. The VC1 is my Valet of choice, it will accept a slightly modified GEM blade.

You're right ... it's the Feather blades that are compatible with the Valet razors. As an aside, there are some very rare Valet models branded as Feather in the Japanese market. I'm hazy on the how and the why, but they exist.

Personally, I don't like the Feather blades ...

I had a comprehensive collection of Valets some years ago and enjoyed collecting them, but ultimately sold the lot off as I just did not enjoy shaving with them. I bought the VC range again recently (I just wanted a VC1 but got a VC2 and VC3 thrown in ... and then picked up a VC4) and out of curiosity bought a couple of packs of Feather blades. One shave reminded me why I moved them on last time.

As with all things, you might well absolutely love the Feather blade and this format so I would wholeheartedly encourage you to at least try.

If you like the actual razors, look for a VC1 or a VB1 (or the rarer 7 O'Clock - see: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/autostrop-7-oclock.25467/) which you can use a GEM blade with the spine removed. Just a pinch at each end of the spine with a Leatherman and it pops straight off.
Yep, VC1, VB1, or earlier,... the AutoStrop (pre Valet) razors will accept a modified GEM blade.

Blade just arrived here! Ultra fast shipping to Belfast. Thanks again Dan. I need to leave my stubble couple of days to grow before trying the valet ... seems not a daily razor :)
I use the Feather blades in my VB3, I can get about 4 shaves from one blade (my stubble is medium-fine). As for the razor itself, although it looks fearsome with the correct angle, gives a really mild, efficient shave.
T

Last edited:
This was my first deep dive into SE razors. I found the VC2 and feather blades gave me a great shave. I just didn't like the cost of the blades per shave. I'm using a Yaqi AC razor and Feather Pro blade and I get a great shave and so far I've gotten 16 shaves on it. Not as good as the cost on a DE though.

Finally found a quite evening and tried the valet with the feather blade for the first time. I wanted to like it a lot... But unfortunately it was a bad shave. This blade was extremely rough in my face and not sharp enough to cut my 24h stubble. I was feeling tugging and the razor like a rake in any different angle that I tried. Absolutely no comparison with my ER1912 and the feeling of the gem blades.

IMG_20211022_211959_resize_70.jpg

Back
Top Bottom