Valentine's

antdad said:
I'm sure you already know this as an accomplished artiste...

but using a blender is fairly full proof, not classic but a little added whipped egg white lightens and stabilises the mix even when bringing back to the stove.

It happens I made a mess of some Aioli the other day.
A blender??? Are you an animal, Sir? A true artiste would never stoop so low. Actually, it wasn't an emulsifying problem, it was a "leave the bowl with egg yolk in it over the simmering water for too long and it cooks" problem (I was trying to do too many things at once, my bad).

soapalchemist said:
I feel your pain Dave; I have the same problem with Hollendaise. As for mayonnaise, I've lost track of the eggs that have been sacrificed in that cause, never resulting in anything remotely edible.
Mayonnaise (and Aioli for that matter) I can do pretty much 100% of the time these days (sans blender). It was that whole getting-the-heat-right problem. But thanks for all the top advice :D

Strong work cheesey!

I butterflied a leg of lamb for my sheila. Marinated it in a mixture I pounded out in the pestle & motor ( actually its lave rock ) made up of olive oilo, garlic-about 20 cloves, fresh rosemary, black pepper corns.

I then grilled it over hot coals while we shared two bottles of Oyster Bay Sav Blanc. Ate it with new potatoes & broccolini. Yeah not bad for a pommy barstard - Van diemans for I luv ya.

Oh, i forgot to mention that I put quite a hiding on a case of Coors light while fiddleing around with the fire..as you do. :)

Wife was a bit poorly so we missed the main course and had the Moules au curry starters and calvados babas with apple compote and custard sauce for pudding.

Quite pleased we did as there was no way I could have eaten rack of lamb as well.

Pressies and cards exchanged, nice jumper for her, Pecksniff's Oriental shavig cream and AS balm for me (after subtle hints!).

antdad said:
KRF1963 said:
Pecksniff's Oriental shavig cream

I'd like to know how you get on with that...my experience with Peck's wasn't the best.

I am a bit of a beginner so am not 100% up on lathering but I had a go yesterday using the 404 badger/boar mix and mixed up the lather in a bowl.

It seemed a really thin lather compared to Erasmic, Palmolive and Boots sticks I am used to but I am fairly new to bowl lathering. Will try it again but face lather instead which I am leaning towards at the minute.

Smell was fairly subtle to the point of not really being there at all and the lather seemed to almost dissapear off my face in places before I had completed each pass.

Jury is very much out at the moment on the soap, but the AS balm seems OK thus far.

I am glad that she bought them from TK Maxx as I would not think they are worth full retail price. The Moules au curry were definitely more satisfying!

Will let you know if it gets any better.

KRF, I had a similar experience with Pecksniff's Spanish Leather 'cream'. It was as hard as a soap, and getting an even half-decent lather (which, like yours, was on the thin side) took some effort. Nice scent, though.

Back
Top Bottom