U.K. Artisan Makers

I think the closest DE must be the Hone razor, which was designed and manufactured by an Englishman, and which I think started out in the UK, although it seems that the operation runs out of the Netherlands nowadays. I've no idea where they're made, though.

Last edited:
That slant head is rather nice. Fairly mild, Tech level for me. I don't think they're machined, but quite reasonably well made.

They also list these in their eBay store:

I don't know whether they're machined or cast and then coated either, but the coating isn't very durable.
I had the open comb variant and I think it's the only razor I ever returned (other than one with a misadvertised Amazon listing). It was very aggressive, perhaps even more than the PAA Evolution DOC, and I find the Evolution more aggressive than the R41 and dscosmetics Z0. I'd rather use a shavette instead.

Perhaps the slant and the safety bar heads are more forgiving shavers, though.
They're cast aluminium, as are the Ikon "aly" heads. I have several of their handles, in both aluminium (machined), stainless and titanium. It was quite a relief to be able to buy these from a UK supplier, as I had previously gone through the arduous experience of commissioning a handle or two from UFO in Spain. The website for the latter is no more, so I presume that they are no longer in operation.

Red Horseman, who used to post here, was a true artisan who machined handles at work during his lunch break, personally ... not outsourcing the work like today's "artisans". We're not just talking lathing a few cuts and knurling onto some rod, he made these lovely stem handles:

AM-JKLWQhk4qg5mOA0Qthu5uiHi8cJLgCadiqmn_kL3AUEMawV8WoYbjUSkYrvDK5LK8atg-s5CMX9dwIsrvw4eStHQa_mrjgieb1P2NKBmleq3xWEYoo6uPGbJfzPhPBKgdKNpTonY8Kv4Optau9yfNn1lO6A=w800

Red Horseman, who used to post here, was a true artisan who machined handles at work during his lunch break, personally ... not outsourcing the work like today's "artisans". We're not just talking lathing a few cuts and knurling onto some rod, he made these lovely stem handles:

AM-JKLWQhk4qg5mOA0Qthu5uiHi8cJLgCadiqmn_kL3AUEMawV8WoYbjUSkYrvDK5LK8atg-s5CMX9dwIsrvw4eStHQa_mrjgieb1P2NKBmleq3xWEYoo6uPGbJfzPhPBKgdKNpTonY8Kv4Optau9yfNn1lO6A=w800
They're lovely things, and a lot of work and skill to make. I seem to recall that another forum member had a handle, possibly more than one, made for him by his machinist dad. I have one made by an amateur machinist in Norfolk, which at 128 grammes, is more like an offensive weapon, but guaranteed to give added "oomph" to any lightweight aluminium razor head.

Bespoke artisan handles were all the rage a few years ago, but, unless I'm looking in the wrong places, they don't seem to be as popular or numerous nowadays.

Mutiny Shaving anyone?

Not sure if they have been mentioned here before.

I've been following them on Instagram.

A small company hailing from Newport, Wales, offering the coolest, most ethical products.

For 2022, they will be releasing a 3D printed 316L Stainless steel razor, designed and made in the UK.

You can read more about them on

www.mutinyshaving.co.uk

View attachment 82433

Cheers
Les
Is £12.99 reasonable for a 3D printed handle? I do like the form factor, and the Ocean Waste option is a great idea. Could stick a decent head on it, and off we go.

Intrigued by the fully printed razor that they are going to be releasing.

Is £12.99 reasonable for a 3D printed handle? I do like the form factor, and the Ocean Waste option is a great idea. Could stick a decent head on it, and off we go.

Intrigued by the fully printed razor that they are going to be releasing.
It seems pretty reasonable to me. It's apparently 10cm long, which is a sensible length, and has, from the picture, a brass ferrule inset.

Since Rod Neep stopped making brushes and handles, non-metallic handles of decent quality at sensible prices, for SE and DE razors, don't appear to be widespread in the UK, but do correct me if I'm wrong on that score. There are quite a few for cartridge razors, but we (or I) won't go there.

Those are fabulous and yes, he was a true artisan. I still have and use mine:

156C784C-652A-4596-9DFE-439C66CCE248.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom