Trouble with Mama Bears

Now i know that it is possible to get a superb lather from this stuff i can play about with it and see what gives. First off to see if the proraso affects the lather. I do like my proraso pre shave. :D

I used MB Dublin Tweed yesterday for the first time in ages having watched Tiestes excellent video of him face lathering a cream whose name I can't remember. I spent longer lathering it than i have previously and as you've said the lather was much better. I think I've been rushing the face lathering which is why there isn't enough for the 3rd pass!

I'm with Slash on the face lathering H/Blobster. Living on the west coast of Scotland we've got very soft water, however I've never had any probs with any of the glycerine soaps (Scent from Heaven, Colonel C & MB) whilst face lathering. Just out of interest I've now tried lathering the MB in a bowl & what a disaster !

JohnnyO. :cool:

I get good results when I bowl lather, but I´ve got very soft water. I put a little water on top of the soap right before I lather and pour it out before loading.

I had similar problems at the start of my DE shaving but I wasn't spending enough time lathering on the soap itself. Once I worried less about using too much and lathered on it for a good minute the lather was soooooo much better!

Welcome back Johnny O long time no hear!

Thankies The Simmster, bit of an enforced absence there. However my obtuse, opinionated and (according to one blogmeister) apparently nasty wee self has now returned.

JohnnyO. :D /

simmo3801 said:
I had similar problems at the start of my DE shaving but I wasn't spending enough time lathering on the soap itself. Once I worried less about using too much and lathered on it for a good minute the lather was soooooo much better!

Welcome back Johnny O long time no hear!

+1 same here, didnt spend enough time loading brush or working it on face..Once i sorted that never had a problem. ;)

Ive never had a problem with lathering a MB soap.
I always use Prorasso pre-shave
I use a Boar brush (Omega 10005)
Always bowl lather.
Soak brush in hot water while showering, hot water on top of soap in bowl for about 3-4 minutes, squeeze brush quite hard, empty water from top of soap bowl and squish the brush into soap, I find pushing down on the brush until the bristles go to the outer edge of the bowl and then spin the brush in my fingers so it goes round and round with the occasional pump up and down, this gets all the soap right into the centre of the brush, maybe do this for 25 seconds, any longer and there is just too much mess! Scoop all excess lather out of soap bowl and then transfer to my shaving mug, adding a few drips of water from my finger tips as needed, never needed too much water and never takes more than 3 minutes to create whipping cream like lather. :D
Usually enough to do my 3 passes with enough left over to do a couple more if needed.
I live on the coast near Minehead, I suppose this is soft water?

Used the bay rum last night and did the hot water on soap soak thing. Normal prep including Proraso. Face lathered and had oodles of lush lather.
:D Next is to try the bowl latering.

Back
Top Bottom