trivia

got these from a Sunday Magazine

the best selling aftershave in the world...Brut :shock:

originally launched in '64, Brut 33 was introduced in '73 as an everyday cologne for sophisticates :? with a budget price and plastic bottle, it was called 33 as the range had only 33% the strength of the original.
even then if you walked past someone who'd splashed it on all over you knew it :lol:

famous names to to endorse the Brut have been our 'enry and mighty mouse ( Cooper & Keegan ) albeit in a bit of a gay ad.
Barry Sheene, Franz Beckenbauer and Gazza all gave it the thumbs up as well, not for free of course and Gazza probably drunk the stuff :roll:

Hollywood legend Cary Grant was elected a member of Faberge's board of directors in '68. he received a salary of $15,000, a rent free New York apartment, unlimited travel expenses and use of the company's private helicopters and planes.
Brut was his favourite of the company's fragrances, although Creed made Green Irish Tweed for him and was probably his all time favourite.

Roger Moore was another film star to become a Faberge board member in '70.
in the 1974 film The Man with the Golden Gun during a fight scene he sprays a villian in the face with a aerosol can of Brut 33 ;)

Elvis wore several aftershaves including Old Spice but always maintained that Brut was his favourite. He used to slather it on his jumpsuits to cover the smell of sweat as they couldn't be washed due to the jewelled fabric.
as a side note i used to use Hai Karate on my fitba\rugby boots :lol:

I never used Brut because its heyday was a little before I started electric shaving bum fluff off my chin, but I seem to remember it being very "in your face" and cloying.

Hai Karate though... Valerie Leon, wow, those were adverts to torment a teenage boy's dreams, along with Arlene Philip's Hot Gossip on the Kenny Everett show...

I digress.

Brut also had a smaller following amongst the fairer sex.....AKA those who cannot test their own shaving soap :lol: I actually had a bottle of this stuff in the early '80s, and felt rather risqué wearing aftershave. If I can find my Luca Turin book I'll post the expert opinion here.

There are many, many people walking around today who would've been conceived with the smell of Brut in the air.

It is an old classic.

Brute, Kuros, Aramis and one other who's name I cannot remember - came in a brown glass bottle and smelled of oranges. (My mother said "you smell like a wog")
Their TV poster-boy was Peter Wyngarde in Jason King mode, until he was arrested for inappropriate behaviour in a gent's lavatory - presumably for drawing on the walls.
After that it's popularity dimmed somewhat.
Can anyone remember what it was?
The A/S I mean - not Wyngarde's offence.

My great grandmother (101 in two weeks) still says "darkie"

I love that, and at over a hundred years old I think she's probably allowed to.

When my dad came back from Norway on his Lambretta in 1969 and said he'd met a girl he wanted to marry (my mum) the first question my gran asked asked was "Norway? Are they black there?"

Err . . . . :?

OK after talking about Brut, It fired what little imagination i have left at my age :eek: So i tramp off to T.J. Hughes and Buy a bottle of the said EDT ( £ 4.00 ) , Well SWIMBO likes it , And the offspring like it, in fact he said the smell was orsome, so it seems that the Brut is still doing its thing like it did when i was a lad, My case rests your honour ;) .

Back
Top Bottom