Triple milled soaps

I've just about given up on triple milled soaps. I've tried a lot, but much prefer the likes of Tabac, Palmolive and Arko as well as those made by our resident soap makers - much easier to lather, good old fashioned scents and better value. I'm pleased I tried TMS, but could have saved myself a lot of money.

Fido said:
...much easier to lather, good old fashioned scents and better value.

All three claims are very subjective, but that's what makes the World go round, I guess.

As far as I know my only experience of triple-milled soap is TOBS Sandalwood. I didn't get on at all with it and it ended up in the shower. On that basis I have to agree with you Peter but I don't think I've tried any others.

Isn´t MdC triple milled? What about Dr Harris and Penhaligon´s?

If the three above is TMS I don´t agree :eek: :shock: :D

Mikael said:
Isn´t MdC triple milled? What about Dr Harris and Penhaligon´s?

If the three above is TMS I don´t agree :eek: :shock: :D

I was going to ask if M de C was but I'm sure it can't be because it's Peter's favourite soap, isn't it?

No clue on MdC, but DRH certainly is. While I'm trying to figure out why Peter wrote this (as briefly mentioned in his post he surely has his reasons), I also tend to disagree.

While (for me) triple milled soaps lather more easily, I have recently discovered that other types can lather equally good and reward you with an excellent shave provided you do get the water/soap mix right and make the right effort in loading the brush.

I don't like hard soaps at all, soft ones work great for me. All this triple milled gibberish works well as far as bath soaps are concerned, it gives enough material yet lasts longer. But when I'm shaving I don't want to have muscle fever form circling half of my day on a soap only to get enough material... :roll:

I just mentioned it because it's my experience and it's the sort of stuff we discuss from time to time. M de C is a soft soap and I associate TMS with the very hard soaps. I may have a problem because I live in a hard water area, Part of the fun here is going on our own individual journeys then sharing our conclusions.

I just use soaps.

I don't think I could tell you which of my soaps are triple milled and which are not, but they all seem to work well enough to get a good lather and a decent shave.

Ian

Back to M de C

"The soap, after pressing (no triple or french milled, only pressing with a simple press machine to give the soap the shape and the logo of Martin de Candre), after that, the soap is dried in wooden containers at least 8 months. The wood absorbs moisture and provides a regular and constant drying to finish the soap. The soap dried is more durable."

From here:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7982&p=109195">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7982&p=109195</a><!-- l -->

Fido said:
I just mentioned it because it's my experience and it's the sort of stuff we discuss from time to time. M de C is a soft soap and I associate TMS with the very hard soaps. I may have a problem because I live in a hard water area, Part of the fun here is going on our own individual journeys then sharing our conclusions.

No worries Peter, I was more concerned I had missed something. I know nada compared to you (you´re my brush/soap hero :D) and was a bit unsure what my soaps where. I live in extrem soft water country though and most soaps should work fine here. But it´s like you wrote, what works for one, doesn´t allways work for the next.

IanM said:
I just use soaps.

I don't think I could tell you which of my soaps are triple milled and which are not, but they all seem to work well enough to get a good lather and a decent shave.

Ian

I'm with you on that Ian, in fact I seem to find it difficult to find a soap, hard or soft or otherwise that I can't get a decent lather from. Probably the water here helps.
regards, beejay

T+H luxury hard soap is triple milled and it's a beauty. Granted, you need to load up for longer but we're only talking 30 seconds. It's my weekend soap for when I'm not feeling so lazy.

Canuck said:
T+H luxury hard soap is triple milled and it's a beauty. Granted, you need to load up for longer but we're only talking 30 seconds. It's my weekend soap for when I'm not feeling so lazy.

Yes I thought T&H was triple-milled and I've seen great reviews of it. As I've said before my only experience of 3M soaps is that nasty TOBS soap but I'm sure there must be exceptions to the rule!

Pig Cat said:
As far as I know my only experience of triple-milled soap is TOBS Sandalwood. I didn't get on at all with it and it ended up in the shower. On that basis I have to agree with you Peter but I don't think I've tried any others.

Yet in our area, where you buy water by the slice, ToBS Sandalwood lathers easy as anything - hmm....maybe I really am that grand :ugeek:

Back
Top Bottom