Treadmills for home exercising - help needed

Alright all.

As many of the long-standing members here will know I was ill a year ago with acute clinical depression (in fact, this time last year I was in and out of hospital). You gents were fantastic - PIF's through the letter box every day, I'm still working through the soaps and blades! Many, many thanks to all of you who were there for me at that time: I've never been so ill in my whole life and never want to be like that again.

Although I'm 90% better I still take strong anti-depressant medication (hmm - maybe I'm 90% better because I take strong anti-depressant medication!) but this makes me extra hungry which means I eat more, which means I'm heading towards 15st . . . .

So . . . I'm thinking of buying a treadmill to get some exercise. I'm looking at s/hand ones on the Bay within a 25 mile radius so I can collect them but the range is daunting. I guess I want a goodish one (motorised, digital etc) but I know nowt about this sort of stuff.

Any ideas? Recommendations?

Cheers

Ollie

Ollie,

Treadmills are painfully boring and most of them end up as expensive clothes horses. I see people running on them in the gym when I go swimming and all I can think of is lab rats.

Is there anything preventing you going out and putting some miles under your trainers on the pavement?

There's nothing like running a few miles at 0500 when most of the rest of the country is sleeping. You get your 'fitness' squared away before breakfast and it sets you up for the day.

...or a dog.

Kid's will love it and you will have to get out twice a day for a strong walk rain or shine.

There is nothing more depressing than home exercising equipment hence all the dead beat infommercials.

Well rather than buy a big bulky item for the home that will probably get used only a few times (OK I'm generalising here!) I would suggest a gym membership. No idea how much a treadmill costs but for the same price you'd surely get at least a year's use of the gym and all its facilities. I actually like the treadmill and (sort of) enjoyed training for a race recently. My plan is to go back and use the cross-trainers too as well as use weights to bulk up my puny body. :eek:

Now I don't think anyone has actually answered your question properly, so perhaps it's time for someone who knows about these things to genuinely help Ollie!! :D

I have to agree with the anti-treadmill chaps.

I've just hit 12st again, so have started to get out for a walk in the evening. I'm pretty lucky, as I'm only a 5 min stroll from countryside.

Also, I don't think that motorised treadmills are that efficient a removing lard. Think about it, when you walk or run in the real world, you're actually moving your own weight about, so you are doing more work. I reckon you'd need to spend twice as long on a treadmill to use the same energy.

The one advantage of a treadmill, is it's not subject to our lovely weather.

Ian

I confess that I'm not a home exercise fan, but much depends on your locality for walking and running. If it's feasible for you extraordinary results come from regular fast walking or jogging. Just a slow 5 minute jog for a few days can be slowly increased to any target. A 20 minute session 3 to 4 times a week really would shed the pounds. Once you start regular exercise you tend to watch what you eat more so you end up taking in less calories as well as burn more up.

But if the only thing that appeals to you is a home treadmill, go for it - any form of exercise is better than none.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.treadmill.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.treadmill.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=treadmill&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... ll&x=0&y=0</a><!-- m -->

Some ideas and options in these links.

To get fitter or keep a check on your weight you should do anything but join a gym or buy home exercising equipment and exercise on your own. It's a sure fire way of piling on more weight because it's so depressing.

I like to go to a local sports centre, play squash, badminton or table tennis, it's fun and I look forward to it. I see the drones on the exercise machines stinking up the place and I think why the hell are you punishing yourselves, you're not even doing anything useful like generating electricity.

Get a dog, bike and walking boots, technology is not the answer.

Actually, gardening seems to do me a lot of good. Even weeding is good exercise. I find myself crouching and bending about and stretching for quite a long time (we've always loads of weeds :( ) and I definitely feel the benefit. Cutting the hedge is good as I have to stretch about with a heavy hedge-cutter. The possibilities are endless. Not so good in the winter I suppose but isn't that the time to layer on the fat for those cold, cold nights?

I would agree with getting out and about in the open air, enjoy what our maker has provided! ;) Personally I find the most enjoyable way to experience the great out doors is cycling, but that's just my preference.

The only time I've been on a treadmill was a few weeks ago on my fitness test when I had to run a mile, it was as dull as ditch water.

There's is nothing wrong with purchasing home exercise equipment, so long as you have the discipline to actually use it. We have a cross trainer which when i use, i just crack on an episode of Xfiles, Prisoner, South Park whatever on the Mac and away i go.

We have a Gym where i work, so that works ok for me, that and we have mandatory fitness tests every 6 months - just to provide motivation :?

I suppose it just depends on your personality at the end of the day. if you are self-driven you can exercise when or wherever, if easily distracted - you need to get out and about and away from your surroundings. there's something for everyone, you just have to find what works for you :)

Just to add my 2p worth; I'd agree that a bicycle is the best exercise, gets you out and about, fresh air and all that! Personally, I've just slimmed down a bit after about 2 months on the exercise bike (I'm finding it harder to get motivated now the weather is warmer and I'm pretty much back in shape!). I stuck rigidly to 2 hours a day, either 3x40 mins or 2 1 hour stints, keeping a tempo of around 30kph, and keeping the calorie intake below 2000. Cycling and swimming are the best aerobic non-impact exercises, though I would favour cycling as I can't swim :shock: Yes, it's boring and tedious, but it comes down to motivation, I just put some music on and face the bike so I can look out of the window :lol:
These cross trainers look quite good, but I'm not sure if they offer a big calorie burn, they maybe better for toning rather than weight loss (like rowing machines), an exercise bike will work on the waist and thigh area better than anything else. Magnetic ones are best and not terribly expensive.
Best of luck whatever you decide!

Ollie,

I too am approaching 15st but from the other side. I have always battled with my weight and have always been slightly overweight.

I have also struggled with depression (doesn't seem as bad as what you went through) and still do find myself struggling to keep those demons at bay as it were.

As everyone else seems to have said, I wouldn't think a home exercise routine would be the best option as it is just so boring on your own. If you decided for a home system though I'd suggest a Cross trainer over a treadmill.

The best exercises I've found are Walking (I walk everywhere and it's helped me lose the best part of a stone in the last 9 months or so), swimming (although I hate showing off my flabby scottish-white belly) and best of all (I'll doff the cap to antdad here) Badminton. If you can find anyone to play badminton with then do it. I know some people say the impact factor can be there but I think badminton is an excellent form of exercise.

As I said though if you really want to do the home thing, get a cross trainer.

Back
Top Bottom