Traveling Shaving gear recomendations?

Have'nt seen you in the welcome part of our forum yet mark, but welcome to you anyway! I am sure that you will have been provided with a surfeit of advice from the other members, and that the info' is still rolling in for you. See you around. 'Bye,

spandex.. :)

fozz77 said:
That is only 6.41 yrs at 3 shaves a blade. Thats nowt to what I have in m my stash :lol: 772 are very good Spandex, the other 6 are unknown. scary shit.

Oh, right! I only shave three times a week fozz, so they would take me a lot longer to get through. You didn't say where in the world you are at this moment, so I take it you cannot impart this info' at the moment for some reason or other! Never mind, you take care, 'Bye for now,

spandexcodpiece said:
fozz77 said:
That is only 6.41 yrs at 3 shaves a blade. Thats nowt to what I have in m my stash :lol: 772 are very good Spandex, the other 6 are unknown. scary shit.

Oh, right! I only shave three times a week fozz, so they would take me a lot longer to get through. You didn't say where in the world you are at this moment, so I take it you cannot impart this info' at the moment for some reason or other! Never mind, you take care, 'Bye for now,

The land of 11,000 islands.

fozz77 said:
spandexcodpiece said:
fozz77 said:

The land of 11,000 islands.

Ha! right, goddit! .. That makes it Indonesia or Malaysia doesn't it. I'll go for Indonesia, and you are probably temporarily based in Jakarta!! :?: :D

fozz77 said:
You will either figure it out, or you won't. Mr codpiece

OK, so I am being a nosy b*****d now ! Ha,Ha - fair enough. :lol: I have a genuine interest in travel however, and Geography in general, so your globe trotting ways set me off, as it were ! As you are away on business though, you probably don't get much chance to see much of the terrain, apart from travelling from one place to another. I dunno, maybe your situation is different fozz, and you are able to mix business and pleasure! Anyhow, feel free to PM me if you like. ...But I reckon you are, or were, situated in Jakarta, or perhaps Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia ! God speed, and take care,

spandex.. :D

I have a flick-comb (as opposed to a flick-knife, less flick more just manually open it) and it gets a giggle when the security officer detects it, fishes it out of my bag only to discover its harmless plastic teeth. Bit worried about bringing my DE thru though even without the blades.

markinlondon said:
Every so often I find myself traveling and having to sort through my shaving kit when I pack. I'm a straight razor/brush/soap guy and can never get it all in my small overnight dopp kit, and cant bring the razor when I carry on my stuff on a plane.

Recently I tried my first shaving stick (a Palmolive) and love it, but it doesn't come in a case like a tube of lip stuff would. As for the razor, I'm thinking of getting a DE razor, but I've never used on and have no idea how easy finding blades is outside of the UK. As for my brush, I've got a travel Taylors and am pretty set.

Who travels with a DE and soap, and what do you recommend?

At one point I was doing 25-30 trips a year for work, this is my take on it but I am jaded and very grumpy so bear this in mind.

Overnights and stays of less than two days

Take a Sensor/M3 and a shave solid soap stick and travel brush, travel size 10 ml atomisers are available cheaply on the bay or if you save a few samplers take them with you. No DE blades will be allowed on the cabin and the DE itself can attract unwarranted attention. Sure you may get away with it now and again but it is just not worth it. I rough it for the two days and enjoy the DE even more when I get back.

Over two days,

Anything over this time I am probably taking more clothes and possibly a change for going out in the evening so I am probably going to overshoot the carry on allowance and check a bag. In this case I go for it, I take a full kit, DE, Blades, soap stick/cream, brush, Alum, AS (maybe two small bottles like the 10ml size samplers + Balm, I have travel insurance and if it gets lost I will claim it for the value. I refuse to compromise on my own summer holiday I am there to enjoy my holiday in luxury not scrape my face off with a piece of plastic that has a blade glued in it.

Drop kits need not be huge or heavy, the main issue is the DE blade and carrying it on. If you have enough advance notice you could post a pack to your hotel or pick up some on the way to the hotel from a local pharmacy/shop. Otherwise use a Sensor or M3, I think the Sensor is miles ahead of the M3 but that is just my opinion.

markinlondon said:
Still, how do you all travel with DEs? Do you try and pack the blades and simply toss and replace them if the airlines find them? Do you count on finding blades at the new location? How do you manage?

My fairly uneducated guess is that you'd have virtually no chance of sneaking them through security. For what it's worth I'll just reiterate that, judged purely on performance, cartridge razors can do a fine job. Before I tried traditional shaving I got terrible results with them, but I think that was more the fault of poor technique and not fit-for-purpose canned foam than the razors. Sensor is probably a good choice - well made and simpler than later models. I know that doesn't wholly address your concerns, but if you're not sure of being able to find blades where you're going and can only take carry-on luggage I think you're going to have to compromise. You can get some handsome and traditional-looking handles that take cartridge blades, maybe that would ease the pain a smidge?

Also I know nothing about soaps, but Tabac is widely loved and the stick seems to come in a twisty plastic tube - availabe here for a good price http://connaughtshaving.com/tabacstick.html

I have just decided on my kit for my holiday.

Gillette Tech - Breaks down easily into 3 pieces and can sit sweetly in the pocket of a wash bag.
Feather Blades - in the washbag (checking into the hold)
Vulfix 404 Mix - Good quality brush that doesn't break the bank i.e. no biggie if it's becomes "lost"
Speick Stick - My favoured choice of stick, could be any stick but a stick is good for travel.
Witch Hazel - In a 10ml sample bottle
Old Spice Lime AS - Plastic bottle very light and narrow for a bottle, great scent and works just as well

Now just counting down the days till holiday starts 6th July here we come.

Cyprus. Doing a "family holiday" thing.

My mum is fortunate to have an endowment mortgage which is going to mature well and she paid for a villa if we copped for the flights.

All good :)

Im actually on the look out for a bottle of Chanel Egoiste EDT. For some reason they don't market it in the UK so was hoping to bag a bottle at Paphos Duty Free.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for blades and such. I have no idea what I may encounter.... If anyone can give me some pointers I'll be sure to look out for anything you guys want.

Just getting in before you ya big sponge :D don't get nothing for sleeping in here.

Andy enjoy Cyprus, I can't think of anything specific I seen the last time i was there but because there is a large expat population you may find the odd Wilkie stick / blade maybe even some AV or Williams, I picked up some Williams ASB in Barcelona for a couple of euros and it was quite pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom