Traveling Shaving gear recomendations?

Every so often I find myself traveling and having to sort through my shaving kit when I pack. I'm a straight razor/brush/soap guy and can never get it all in my small overnight dopp kit, and cant bring the razor when I carry on my stuff on a plane.

Recently I tried my first shaving stick (a Palmolive) and love it, but it doesn't come in a case like a tube of lip stuff would. As for the razor, I'm thinking of getting a DE razor, but I've never used on and have no idea how easy finding blades is outside of the UK. As for my brush, I've got a travel Taylors and am pretty set.

Who travels with a DE and soap, and what do you recommend?

I bought a smallish leather shaving kit/case from a carboot sale which is the size of a small binocular case. In this I fit my travel shaving brush, a Boots or La Toja shaving stick (they come in nice plastic cases) and it came with a small chrome case in which I put a Gillette fat handled tech, a small piece of alum and a small squeezy tube into which I have decanted some ASB.

I also pack a couple of blades but this for UK use only as you would not be allowed to travel on a plane with the blades and, I have heard said, some officious officials will also confiscate DE razors even without blades!

I sent some blades ahead to our house in Spain along with a cheap DE Gillette plastic handled TTO razor but they did not arrive. I could not find any DE blades in the shops but did not look too hard. I used twin blade fixed disposables (which I believe you can take on a plane) and these were adequate.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Hi Mark, would you consider using cream instead of soap? That way you can use a small container to put some cream in. If you wanted to stick with the Palmolive soap, I've seen pics of it stored in a Pritt Stick container, fits snugly it seems.

Hi Mark,
I use a Merkur traveller & a puck of Colonel Conk, which comes in a wee cellophane type container. I 'm not sure how transporting blades goes though as I mostly have a suitcase. If I have hand luggage only I just get some disposables whilst I'm away, because it's not usually a long stay.
Bon Voyage & Happy Daze.
JohnnyO.

I suppose that the gear I'd like to use is a DE razor (for which I'd purchase blades at the location), my Taylor's travel brush, and a stick soap that wouldnt require a messy plastic bag. I simply don't want to use a disposable or cartridge razor. But the availability of DE blades concerns me.Does anyone else travel with a DE and then buy blades locally? And what of the Stick soaps? Do any come in plastic tubes? Or is it worth filling up an old lip junk tube with soap for the trip?

markinlondon said:
And what of the Stick soaps? Do any come in plastic tubes? Or is it worth filling up an old lip junk tube with soap for the trip?

Boots and La Toja are small and come in a plastic tube tho' La Toja is harder to come by in the UK.

Both do a good job but I think that La Toja is one of the best sticks I have tried.

If you know anybody heading off to Spain they are about £1.50, Boots is a little less than that and obviously available over here more readily.

I am currently on a 5 week hitch away from home. I left home with 2 DE razors, Semogue 830 & RVC 2 Band, 20 or so blades, La Toja stick & a tube of Musgo, alum & Speick ASL.

However, I had a couple of shopping spree's & i am now carting - 3 tubes of Omega & godrej, 3 Tabac sticks & 780 DE blades. :lol:

Hi again Mark,
Mama Bear's gr8 glycering soaps come in travel sized shave sticks, however I got mine direct from Momma Sue in America. The Dutch Shop & Traditional Shaving do the usual size MBs, I'm not so sure that they carry shave sticks though.
JohnnyO.

It's funny... I tie my own fishing flies, and found that sitting in the lounge and tying flies was like actually fishing, but without all the hassle of traveling. I suppose that's why I like configuring my dopp kit for trips. It's a way of leaving home for a little while without actually leaving. There's just something that attracts me to a finely packed bag, one that has all the creature comforts without all the heft. A perfect dopp kit would have everything I need for the amount of time I had, and I'd come home with one day of soap, one cheek's worth of aftershave, and the need to strop a razor. I suppose that I'm looking for the perfect travel setup, one that will fit in a small kit suitable for a weekend. It's not such a problem on a local trip on a train or in a car, where I can pack a straight razor, but on a longer one that's not really possible without checking luggage with the airline, and I'd hate to use a new-fangled disposable. Those nutty razors simply don't appeal to my sensibilities or nostalgic nature. DEs seem like the ticket. I only worry about finding blades. Shaving cream isn't really a big problem. A stick isn't that big, and I've run off with a tube of Musgo or a cake in a screw-top can. But the razor is the big crazy decision. I've never used a DE and don't know what to look when evaluating one. And with all the fetishistic talk about blade brands, it seems like I've got a lot of reading do. Which is all really ok with me. I like doing that stuff.

Still, how do you all travel with DEs? Do you try and pack the blades and simply toss and replace them if the airlines find them? Do you count on finding blades at the new location? How do you manage?

I don't have one but the feather portable is supposed to be a fine well built travel razor.

shave-march24-2.jpg

As you like the Palmolive stick there are ways to carry that about cleanly.

prittpalmolive.jpg

Pauldog, he is a member here.

Don't know if the prices in this thread are still accurate though.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=1344</a><!-- l -->

The Feather portables are a very well made piece of kit for the money. They are a little on the aggressive side but very good nevertheless.

Mark,

I used to fly quite a bit (long-haul) since 2006 but as I have taken up permanently DE shaving only beginning of 2010, I cannot comment yet on carrying onboard a DE razor.

However, as I am getting myself ready for a three plus week trip next month, I was also wondering on what to take with me. Creams, soaps, ASs, etc. are the easy stuff - samples or small bottles should be fine. The issue is with the razor. I have decided I will not take the razor with me onboard (in my toiletries pouch), instead I will put it in the check-in luggage along with a few blades.

A general caution on travelling (not that you are not aware of it), now that we are into the subject: nice and expensive checked-in bags always attract attention and are therefore pretty often targetted in specific airports (examples include connecting airports in Italy, Ukraine, Philippines, etc.) Mind your watch, as well, if security personnel (in selected airports) ask you to take it off before going through that metal detector. I have read of an instance when one person took his (expensive) watch off as requested, watch went into the plastic tray into which we all put our laptops, only not to find it later after going through the X-Ray scanner. Never trust anyone and never believe anyone.

I cannot give any comment on DE blades availability in other locations. I lived for 4 years in Asia (and coming and going to Europe and the U.S.) but was using my Merkur blades pretty infrequently so never looked for similar stuff. Now I will, though, but to be honest I don't really expect to find much where I'm heading to this time.

fozz77 said:
I am currently on a 5 week hitch away from home. I left home with 2 DE razors, Semogue 830 & RVC 2 Band, 20 or so blades, La Toja stick & a tube of Musgo, alum & Speick ASL.

However, I had a couple of shopping spree's & i am now carting - 3 tubes of Omega & godrej, 3 Tabac sticks & 780 DE blades. :lol:

You what fozz !!! Those blades better be good, that really is a lifetimes supply! 780, good grief, don't forget to ensure that those little buggers get put in the hold! Where in the world are you at the moment then ?

spandex.. :shock:

That is only 6.41 yrs at 3 shaves a blade. Thats nowt to what I have in m my stash :lol: 772 are very good Spandex, the other 6 are unknown. scary shit.

Back
Top Bottom