Too many steps

Showering isn't exclusively shave-prep. I'm doing it anyway. However, I would rarely have a shave without showering first. It gets the beard well-hydrated. Without that starting point everything else is less effective. Of course, as with almost everything else in life, do whatever works for you. My shave time now is about 10 mins; when I first started using a DE a few years ago it was closer to 40! Don't ask me what I was doing because I couldn't tell you.

The only thing I would add is if you shave without showering first and you have a tough beard I would include the hot towel treatment.

I'd agree with Antdad on the hot towel though I shave then have a bath, yes a bit old fashioned I know, plus no shower so it's got to be that way. So my ablutions are as such;

run bath
wash face [Wrights trad. soap]
lather [leave lather bowl in nearly hot sink]
hot face towel [not quite hot steamed towel but still does the trick and I can have ajust wetness/heat]
lather face
shave
hot rinse
bath
cold rinse
w/hazel
splash or balm

Just give yourself a thorough face lathering and get stuck in.
I have come to the conclusion that skin that is wet and puffy through too much prep becomes "doughy" and does not encourage blade-glide, and that waterlogged bristles are flattened by the safety bar and are that much harder for the blade to get at.
How's that for heresy?

:twisted: (Diabolical laughter) :twisted:

Wash or shower
Lather up
Tidy bath/shower area, choose razor (usually Merkur Vision), changing blade if needed
Rinse off first lather with hot facecloth
Lather up again
Shave (3 passes + touch-up) hot water rinse & re-lather between each pass
Cold water rinse
Alum block
Cold water rinse
Dab face with towel to get rid of most of the water, air dry to finish
Balm/after shave/cologne according to mood
Total time for shave 20 mins to 1/2 hr of enjoyable 'me' time

OTOH if I'm in a hurry

Wash or shower
Lather up
3 passes with Merkur HD
Cold water rinse
Alum block
Cold water rinse
Dry off
Apply smelly product of choice
Total time for shave <10 mins This is my answer to any multi-blade users who say a real shave takes too long

Typing the steps up in a list like this makes shaving seem like an awfully long chore, but as some of the steps take only seconds in real time, it really isn't that bad at all

Most of my shaves would be the longer kind because I enjoy the luxury of it all :D

PaulH said:
Typing the steps up in a list like this makes shaving seem like an awfully long chore, but as some of the steps take only seconds in real time, it really isn't that bad at all

Yup, making a cup of tea takes quite a few steps, especially if you do it 'properly', but no one would consider it difficult or complicated.

Edit: Or you could be Hugh Fearnley-Whittinsall...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/may/15/foodanddrink.features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... k.features</a><!-- m -->

:lol:

Due to a nasty cold , confusion and a minor incident last night.. I lost track of myself when shaving..

Prepped , Lathered , 3 pass , Incident.

No wash off, no cold splash, no balm , no WH, no AS ..
Didn't realize till 2 1/2 hours later when the wife noticed i still had some leftover shaving cream on me.
However - Face? Absolutely fine.. No irritation , no rash.. no signs of having no finished properly at all.
I slapped some balm on as a 'better late than never', but honestly.. my face felt just dandy.
Still the same this morning.

I put it down the the fact that i had done a very good prep.. Its not something i intend to repeat.. But goes to show.

jhclare said:
I'm a minimalist - I firmly believe if your prep, lather, blade and technique are sound, then you only need:

- shower/hot water rinse
- lather, shave
- warm then cold water rinse
- A/S splash/balm/moisturiser

Agree, this is what I follow as well (with the latest addition of using alum).

Involving too many steps can, in my opinion, make things more complicated and reduce the enjoyment and effectiveness of a really good shave.

Back
Top Bottom