TOBS Aftershaves

I'm trying to get an idea of how some of the Taylors ASs smell. I'm interested in the more traditional scents like Mr Taylors and Eton College. Can anyone give me a brief review of either. I have Mr Taylors shaving cream which is nice. I have never smelt Eton College and nothing comes back in a search. I'm at work just now so will try and check B&B reviews later.

Or anyone know who does samples of Taylors? I previously got a Bay Rum sample direct from them but they made a point of telling me they don't normally send out samples.

Hi M8, The Eton College is a very nice, mild, scent with what I can best describe as a kinda citrus "edge" to it (sorry if that's vague). I think of it as mild and cool. Although not strong it does last & you'll find yourself catching a hint of it through the working day. My pals wives & GFs all like it, perhaps the best clue as to how it comes across being that a few of them have asked after a while who in the group is wearing that hint of scent they keep noticing. Sorry I can't do the technical descriptions, however I'd probs sum it up as "English Gentleman" if I was pushed.

JohnnyO.

I have St. James AS and Mr. Taylors AS. These were the very first wet shaving products, along with their corresponding shaving cremes (tube) that I bought when I started wet shaving at the end of 2009.

Both cremes are very nice, scent is good.

After shaves are a different story, in my subjective opinion.
St. James AS is ok, nothing extraordinary, not a strong scent, would describe it as fairly mild, kind of vaguely similar to Floid Italian Blue.
Mr. Taylors AS was very disappointing for me. To be honest, it smells as if it has some elements of Musgo Real or to D.R. Harris Sandalwood AS. Certainly a traditional scent.

I have already given the Mr. T AS to my father, and have kept the St. J., but do not use it often. I honestly believe that for the prices they charge for these products, they are not good value at all. P&G OS, for example, from your local supermarket is a true classic and way much better in scent & efficacy at a much cheaper price.

I ordered CF Limes sc y'day and was really looking to get an AS in limes scent. I wanted to buy Victoria Limes No. 74 (ToBS) but after my experience with the two products above, I am not really willing to buy any more unless I sample first. Perhaps when I visit the U.K. While D.R. Harris Arlington AS has so far been a success for me, all the rest English ASs I have bought have failed to come to my liking.

Everyone is different, of course.

I'd agree the Eton College does have a citrus element to it. I ordered a sample from Paul when he was still running his sample service. I'll check later if I have any left and send it on to you if you want?

N_Architect said:
Both cremes are very nice, scent is good.

After shaves are a different story, in my subjective opinion.

To a point I agree with this. I love Mr Taylors cream but the AS/Cologne is just a soapy mess and doesn't smell like the cream.

My favourite of their Cologne/AS is Shaving Shop. It smells masculine and a little soapy but it is great. However the cream if it smells nothing like the Cologne/AS.

Well, I'm not English either Simmster, so maybe we both have a similar (possibly unrealistic) mind's eye image of a cool, laidback, always annoyingly competent sort of guy. After thinking about it most of the morning I'm guessing that the best EC initial impression is similar to the zest spray you get when you first break the peel of a lemon. Just nicer !

JohnnyO. ;)

N_Architect said:
Mr. Taylors AS was very disappointing for me...

... While D.R. Harris Arlington AS has so far been a success for me, all the rest English ASs I have bought have failed to come to my liking.

Ditto.

Love the scent of Mr Taylors cream, but the AS was nothing like it IMO -- too old mannish. It got PIFd and was subsequently PIFd on again.

Haven't tried the Arlington cream, but bought a 30ml sample of the AS from DR Harris last year. While nothing amazing, it's very fresh and sufisticayted in a lemony sort of way. Good for the summer.

I am a bit surprised by the apparent lack of enthusiasm for TOBS here. I am in the US (Arizona), where the TOBS scents are generally held in high regard. I own TOBS's Sandalwood and Shaving Shop aftershaves and enjoy them very much. This subject is getting less praise here than I have seen in forums across the pond.

And, greetings, all! This is my first message here.

Nice to say hello Dwaine. Guess it's just a personal thing about the TOBS ASs. I really like the Eton College myself, but then I'm a lot older than a lot of the guys on this forum, so perhaps some of the members prefer a "younger generation" of fragrances. I think that you'll find that TOBS creams and soaps are quite well appreciated.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Back
Top Bottom