Those on Tiscali & Talktalk may be interested/alarmed...

It's less TalkTalk, more StalkStalk: the UK's second largest ISP has quietly begun following its customers around the web and scanning what they look at for a new anti-malware system it is developing.

Without telling customers, the firm has switched on the compulsory first part of the system, which is harvesting lists of the URLs every one of them visits. It often then follows them to the sites to scan for threats.

Basically everywhere you've been, TalkTalk are following you - nice eh? - more here on the official TalkTalk forums

I knew that it was bad news for Tiscali the moment Talk Talk bought them over.

All these "communications" giants are c***s. Especially bloody Caudwell.

Tiscali weren't really a giant when I signed up to them. I stayed with them due to the great service. I'd move but not sure to whom at the moment.

andyjreid said:
Tiscali weren't really a giant when I signed up to them. I stayed with them due to the great service. I'd move but not sure to whom at the moment.

Well for my money, I'd go here, take a look at the ones towards the left of the graph... I most certainly wouldn't be signing/agreeing to any contract longer than 3 months (preferably 1) just in case they turn shit and you need to leave...

My ISP is so small that it doesn't appear in the list :eek: but it does mean that on the two occasions I've called (because BT made transparent upgrades that killed all non-BT DSL bubbed through Edinburgh) I've spoken to a guy who is polite, knowledgeable and actually able to diagnose the problem (well - agreed with my diagnosis and then kick BT's arse) - I pay for it through the nose though (but it's worth it not to have to cock on driving into the office :D )

andyjreid said:

Make sure you check your statements if you move from tiscali i had a nightmare...Been on AOL for nearly 7 years now unlimited 2meg for 9.99 a month never had a problem with them,i dont use there crappy software only the connection and firefox..

AOL UK was folded into TalkTalk a long time back... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/11/carphone_buys_aol/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/11 ... _buys_aol/</a><!-- m -->

:D Never had a problem with aol/talktalk or whoever owns them now...the aol software is shit but like i say just use the connection 2mb and unlimited for 9.99 is great in my eyes...The problem is people just say ok when they send the letters out saying its going up..think i should be paying 15.99 or 19.99 just always ring ask for mac code and hey presto... ;)

My wife got collared by a Talk Talk bandit that was hanging around a supermarket. She signed up for a phone line on the promise of cheap international calls. When she got home and realised that the cheap international calls were through a 0800 number that anyone can use, and we were already, she cancelled her intention to switch over from BT.

Talk Talk carried on regardless, and we received a letter from BT saying "sorry that you are leaving...blah blah". After lots of calls to Talk Talk and BT, she ended up just opening up a new BT account and starting afresh. Talk Talk eventually went away.

In all of the confusion BT cancelled our broadband account also (we had only been a broadband customer for a few months previously).
The service never stopped, and I only became aware on reading the phone bill and noticing that we were not being charged. I called up to try to pay my bill and the customer service guy informed me that I was not a broadband customer and that my account was cancelled. I could not get through to him that I WAS a customer and that I NEVER cancelled the account and that I WAS using their broadband and that I only wanted to pay for it!

I eventually got through to the head man in Mumbai, who accepted that my account was cancelled in error. And sometimes when an account is cancelled, the message to cancel the service sometimes does not go through. His advice was to carry on using the service until it is switched off, and then open a new account. I was worried that sometime down the line, that I would get a huge bill for the broadband that I have used. Apparently not, as I am "not a customer". I have since confirmed that I am not a Talk Talk customer either (even though my wife never signed up for broadband in the first place).

That was in November last year. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom