Thinning the herd..

hunnymonster said:
There's a much more fundamental reason I wouldn't be taking anything of mine to PCWorld... and it's nothing to do with the contents of any directories (hidden or otherwise) that I might have on my PC.

Could it be that they have untrained and unhelpful "technicians" in the stores that are just commision mad and just want to sell you a new PC rather than fix the one you have.

I fixed a PC for a customer after she took it to pc world, it was freezing and shutting down for no reason she took it to pc world who rather than just charge a few quid for blasting the dust out as i would have done and giving it a once over, they charged her 85 quid for a full tune up (didn't blast the dust out) and also when fumbling inside the machine they removed the Molex power cable to the Hard drive and when it didn't boot into XP when she got it home, when she took it back they didn't look inside but just told her a new hard drive was needed and possibly a new Mainboard and it would be cheaper to get a new PC !!!!!

You got it in one Lipsy M8. My former pal The Sunster has every conceivable shot of desireable razors downloaded onto a memory stick whichj I truly believe he takes with him along with his lappytop around car booties just to approach guys who look like furtive razor collectors; (the blood stained pieces of tissue paper on the jowls are a giveaway), muttering phrases such as "Clean razors Mister ? Really new almost virginal never used for 7 day stubble".

By the way ........................ erm, yes, PM sent Steve.

JohnnyO. (Beware of Greeks bearing desireable razors). :D

sunburyboy93 said:
Could it be that they have untrained and unhelpful "technicians" in the stores that are just commision mad and just want to sell you a new PC rather than fix the one you have.

It's more that my mother knows more about PCs than the average checkout jockey in PCWorld. Moving on to the acne-ridden piss-reeking social inepts that they have on the shop floor (and yes I count the store management in that demographic) - I prefer not to be overwhelmed with halitosis, the reek of piss & BO when shopping.

I tend to only go into PC World if it's a life/death situation or it's really really pissing down and their door is the closest... consequently I've not been in since 2007 (or was it 2006?)

There is another reason though - if I can avoid it, I will not spend a penny at any of the Dixons Store Group (so not Currys, Dixons, Pixmania, PCWorld...) and haven't since Dixons was still called "Dixons Photographic Retail".

I must admit that I share much the same view, having bought my HDTV from them. They wanted to charge me £50 to install it and told me that I had to buy one of their overpriced brackets to wall mount the thing because the Comet installers were only trained to 'install' brackets sold in their stores. Seemed costly but semi-reasonable (and I was gagging to get the TV in my house).

I had no qualms about them delivering the thing (which, natch, was another charge), but - having told me the guys would only only 'install' the TV with one of 'their own' brackets - three blokes turned up to 'install' it.

'Installation', it transpired, was 'plugging the TV into the electric socket and letting the auto-tune do it's thing'… Wall-mounting, it further transpired, would have been another charge on top of that… requiring different 'engineers'. Basically, the guy in the store lied to us, knowing once the damn thing arrived we'd be stuck with the thing and pretty much have to pay another hundred and fifty quid to get it on the wall.

Needless to say, the three tits were sent packing without 'installing' the TV. The bracket followed soon after, with refunds sorted out after a couple of angry phone calls.

Funny - I bought my HDTV from John Lewis, in store, drove round to the "collect by car" loaded it in the back, drove home, trolleyed it in the house. Cost £0 :D

£120 cheaper than Currys online special price before the delivery and a 5 year warranty into the bargain for free. I could have saved myself a trip to JL by ordering it online with free delivery, but having seen it in store, I decided to buy it if they had one in stock to take away.

Son (now 8) has started to realise that if you want tech stuff to take away that JL is the place to go. He asked me to take him to JL one afternoon and off we went to the computer/consoles/iPod bit... he asked to see the Nintendo DSiXL, decided he liked it, but only if it wasn't in (his words) "poo brown", the chap scuttled off to locate a red one, son detrousered the wad and left a happy chap.

I was stunned - not least by the fact he had £140 in his trouser pocket :eek: :lol:

John Lewis is the best retailer in the UK. Especially since I fluttered my eyelashes and the 'charming' :oops: young lady in the Glasgow store handed me a few Aqua Di Parma samples. ;)

sunburyboy93 at a car boot sale is often standing, hunched with his hands jammed deep into the pockets of his grubby, soiled, dingy mac. Off to one side, looking furtive whilst looking furtively over the crowd, his sharp eyes scanning the heaving mass of seekers, sinners and pilgrims that only a car boot or Church jumble sale can attract. He's most usually keeping his eye open for the glazed blood-shot look in the eyes of certain punters - a look by which the predatory would be able to recognise the newly-addicted collector, hunting desperately that for which their soul cries out.

Once the target is identified, he cuts through the throng like a gifted sheepdog. With an economy of action, he masterfully not only catches up to the dazed addict but has led him out of the way of any and all curious passers-by. From the depths of his overcoat, he produces a picture viewer with a memory stick already jutting from the USB port like a swollen tumescent obscenity. He thrusts the screen up into the face of his befuddled audience and with a knowing sneer tugging at the corner of his mouth he mutters:

"Hey, pal. Look at this, eh. Isn't that a beauty? How'd you like to get your trembling hands all over that in a steamy bathroom someday? Hey! I can make that happen for you, pal. Whaddaya say, huh? Wanna take some of that between your fingers and plough it through a faceful of lather? ... again, and again, ... and again? Sure you do buddy; sure you do. I can tell by the look in your eye, and the drool on your chin. ... and I'll tell you this too my friend, that's nothing less than a '59 Fatboy ..." by now he's grinning, almost as manic as his 'potential customer'.

sunburyboy93 knows from cold, hard, satin-finished chrome-plated experience that the next thing he says will clinch the deal - this pathetic, shambling zombie standing before him, staring into the flat-screen like a supplicant staring into the misty den of the Oracle at Delphi, will spend everything he has, to own what he's being shown. He chuckles as he leans in close to the prey's ear, and whispers but one single word. One tiny word that will lead to this poor wretch's utter destruction and despair. "Mmmmmint."

Urban Hermit said:
sunburyboy93 at a car boot sale is often standing, hunched with his hands jammed deep into the pockets of his grubby, soiled, dingy mac. Off to one side, looking furtive whilst looking furtively over the crowd, his sharp eyes scanning the heaving mass of seekers, sinners and pilgrims that only a car boot or Church jumble sale can attract. He's most usually keeping his eye open for the glazed blood-shot look in the eyes of certain punters - a look by which the predatory would be able to recognise the newly-addicted collector, hunting desperately that for which their soul cries out.

Once the target is identified, he cuts through the throng like a gifted sheepdog. With an economy of action, he masterfully not only catches up to the dazed addict but has led him out of the way of any and all curious passers-by. From the depths of his overcoat, he produces a picture viewer with a memory stick already jutting from the USB port like a swollen tumescent obscenity. He thrusts the screen up into the face of his befuddled audience and with a knowing sneer tugging at the corner of his mouth he mutters:

"Hey, pal. Look at this, eh. Isn't that a beauty? How'd you like to get your trembling hands all over that in a steamy bathroom someday? Hey! I can make that happen for you, pal. Whaddaya say, huh? Wanna take some of that between your fingers and plough it through a faceful of lather? ... again, and again, ... and again? Sure you do buddy; sure you do. I can tell by the look in your eye, and the drool on your chin. ... and I'll tell you this too my friend, that's nothing less than a '59 Fatboy ..." by now he's grinning, almost as manic as his 'potential customer'.

sunburyboy93 knows from cold, hard, satin-finished chrome-plated experience that the next thing he says will clinch the deal - this pathetic, shambling zombie standing before him, staring into the flat-screen like a supplicant staring into the misty den of the Oracle at Delphi, will spend everything he has, to own what he's being shown. He chuckles as he leans in close to the prey's ear, and whispers but one single word. One tiny word that will lead to this poor wretch's utter destruction and despair. "Mmmmmint."

Anybody else find that exceptionally difficult to read without the usual UH formatting?

Urban Hermit said:

"Hurmy" i do truly believe that you are not of this world :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
that is superb fella !!!!! :D :D :D ;)

sunburyboy93 said:
"Hurmy" i do truly believe that you are not of this world :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
that is superb fella !!!!! :D :D :D ;)

... of course I'm from this world!
    • What other world would ... wait!
      • Which world is this again?
            • Urf??[/list:u] [/list:u]
              • That's the greenie-blue smeary one, right?
                  • Hmmm[/list:u][/list:u]
                    • *coughs*
                      • ... I can neither confirm nor deny that information, citizen.
                        >.>
                        <.<[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Yellow Jim said:
                        Anybody else find that exceptionally difficult to read without the usual UH formatting?

I did!

• Anyway, thanks chaps. [/list:u]

I had just happened to have had a few spare moments (between Life's little brown, mushy nuggets of stench, that so often seem to litter my existence), that coincided with a rare brief, malnourished spark of creative onanism.
                          • Ta, all...[/list:u]

Perhaps we could collect all the aphorisms, descriptors, musings & comments of U/Hermit into a small collection to be published as "The Wit & Wisdom" of a cold water shaver ? Quite sure I'm not the only strange person who would desire a copy.

Incidentally, that really was a spookily accurate description of how I can imaging a Tony Soprano lookalike Sunster moving in for the kill @ a carboot.

JohnnyO. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom