Thinking about a shavette

Mine took 9 days from West coast with no customs.
Skills aren't in it, I have non when it comes to straights. Its all about watching the videos, listening to people that know and then try to replicate it and feel your way. Don't rush. You can actually feel how the angle changes the cut.
Its a lot less scary once you start. I was surprised how much control you get and how well it cuts stubble. In a strange way it actually feels more controlled than a DE. I think its because it gives more feed back.

[attachment=7243]
Its here! Only ordered it yesterday.

Time to have a go. Paramedics on standby, I'm going in.

BR

Attachments

• IMG_0342 (1).jpg
    IMG_0342 (1).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 34
Well its been nearly 4 hours since you said you were going to try your new toy out.
I hope it went well and you haven't spent the afternoon in casualty.
Tell us how it went.

heroblob said:
Well its been nearly 4 hours since you said you were going to try your new toy out.
Tell us how it went.

Lol, no I'm fine just been busy.

OK, the shave. Well there were good points and bad points.
I followed the hand and arm positions recommended in the videos and it isn't possible to see your face!! Well at least by the sideburns. Of course the other thing you cant see is the blade angle. So left hand over the top of my head stretching my right cheek and the shaver in my right hand.

In the end I just used feel for this bit and it was fine down to my jaw line, same with the left side and my left hand (not as good as the right though). Next I went to under my nose and it went ok but got a slight weeper under my nose. I went to try for my neck but it didn't feel quite right so I stopped there.

The problems I set up for myself.
1 Had already had a shower today and didn't really want another, so missed out on some of the prep.
2 Yesterday had a really good BBS with a new Feather blade in my DE razor, so my stubble was less than normal.
3 Didn't practise, just went straight for it.

Ok, so may sound negative but really not. My cheeks really were BBS as was under my nose, the rest not good to bad but this clearly is technique and patience. I was happy with what I achieved in one go and didn't cut myself (dont count the very slight weepers).

It took me a few weeks of constant use to get used to DE, so not using this every day will take a little longer.

BTW does anyone make a nice stand for cutthroats? I have looked by cant find any.

Cheers,
BR

jaycey said:
I am in total awe, one of you absolute DIAMOND people got me this...

This doesn't look like any 'off the shelf' stand, thought and skill have been put into this and if my Secret Santa machined this themselves...you are talented.
I really am very, very happy. My razors will now be on display instead of stuck in a cupboard.

Thanks you Santa & thank you Prof. Merry Christmas!

Something like that would be good, but with a space for a brush instead of the other three razors would be nice?

blackrat said:
heroblob said:
Tell us how it went.

Lol, no I'm fine just been busy.

OK, the shave. Well there were good points and bad points.
I followed the hand and arm positions recommended in the videos and it isn't possible to see your face!! Well at least by the sideburns. Of course the other thing you cant see is the blade angle. So left hand over the top of my head stretching my right cheek and the shaver in my right hand.

In the end I just used feel for this bit and it was fine down to my jaw line, same with the left side and my left hand (not as good as the right though). Next I went to under my nose and it went ok but got a slight weeper under my nose. I went to try for my neck but it didn't feel quite right so I stopped there.

The problems I set up for myself.
1 Had already had a shower today and didn't really want another, so missed out on some of the prep.
2 Yesterday had a really good BBS with a new Feather blade in my DE razor, so my stubble was less than normal.
3 Didn't practise, just went straight for it.

Ok, so may sound negative but really not. My cheeks really were BBS as was under my nose, the rest not good to bad but this clearly is technique and patience. I was happy with what I achieved in one go and didn't cut myself (dont count the very slight weepers).

It took me a few weeks of constant use to get used to DE, so not using this every day will take a little longer.

BTW does anyone make a nice stand for cutthroats? I have looked by cant find any.

Cheers,
BR

you need to step back from the mirror and turncslightly to see when you are doing aide burns.

after a while you wont need mirror except to see where you missed

Heroblob,

Tried your suggestion and for me it works but only just, using extreme peripheral vision standing back a little and side onto the mirror.

Jaycey,

That stand is great, if only you could buy them. You know, it reminds me a little of and old pipe stand! Maybe Ive been looking in the wrong place

Cheers,
BR

2 single edge shaves and still alive

Blackrat, glad you took the leap.
I started like you with a DE. I bought a Parker shavette and whilst I didn't have any trouble with it from a cuts point of view, it was a bit to close for comfort, so I gave up.
In a fit of madness/lust/piqué (call it what you will) at the start of the year I bought a Dovo Straight - that is definitely easier and more forgiving. But the sloth I me came out and the blade prep was getting tiresome (and I only straight at the weekend or on hol in UK) so this weekend I tried the shavette again. It was great.
I did however manage to cut my chin, but this was the lack of weight I think. I caught myself.
For the price of a Parker (or similar) i'd say to anyone give it a go. But as others have said, prep, foam and technique are key to getting the most out of it.

At the risk of high jacking your thread, how similar is a Parker to a Feather shavette - can anyone say? Is it nearer to a straight? The lack of blade prep is like sirens call to me and I haven't spent enough on shaving recently ;)

Al

Hi Alistair,

Thanks, I'm also glad I took the leap. I have watched Mikael's videos now and have taken onboard the information. I like to learn new things and I don't like it when its too easy, so this is perfect for me.

I have tried a few pretend shaves without a blade which seems to help (for a beginner). Getting your arms sorted, lines of sight to the mirror and angle of the blade are much easier now.

I have just ordered a nice leather pouch from Executive shaving for it for when I travel. Its very addictive this shaving lark

BR

Travel...
DE is a no brainier now, the Shavette will join the wash bag for slower days. I have a feeling I will try a Feather before the year is out. Maybe for my birthday.

But to my shame I had to buy a disposable for the convenience of carry on luggage... We'll see what the morning brings.

For Interest, my alum attracted interest at security. I had that and a crystal deodorant and they were telling me that they should be in my liquids bag. I pointed out that it was a crystal and therefore not liquid. She then quizzed my shaving brush. It was all vey nice, I think in the end she thought I was odd but not a threat.

Alistair72 said:
Travel...
DE is a no brainier now, the Shavette will join the wash bag for slower days. I have a feeling I will try a Feather before the year is out. Maybe for my birthday.

But to my shame I had to buy a disposable for the convenience of carry on luggage... We'll see what the morning brings.

For Interest, my alum attracted interest at security. I had that and a crystal deodorant and they were telling me that they should be in my liquids bag. I pointed out that it was a crystal and therefore not liquid. She then quizzed my shaving brush. It was all vey nice, I think in the end she thought I was odd but not a threat.

Ah, thats made me think....going on a ship soon I wonder if the Artist SS will be a problem? I will take my DE of course, I will have to get a lot better with the SS before I can use it on a ship in rough weather...MEDIC! lol

BR

If anyone is interested I'm starting a Shavette PIF in the Lending pool, It's nothing special just a Bluebeards revenge one .

So if anyone fancies a try, go to the Lending Pool thread and I'll start a list.

Peter

Today I have a day off, so after a shower and proper preparation and with plenty of time I had another shave with my Artist SS.

The difference was huge, I finished with a shave that was very respectable and BBS in places. Everything came together and no weapers, no cuts and a happy shaver.

So what's different? Well apart from the prep and taking my time I have watched all the good videos again with my limited first few shaves experience in mind. I have increased the practise by dry shaving without a blade to work out the physical aspects of using a straight and it seems to have paid off. The other main difference is that I think I was more deliberate and confident with each stroke which made the shaving action more smooth. I'm using the Pro Guard blades and that helps with the confidence. I'm very happy with my new razor and glad I bought it.

I love the look of straight razors with their fancy scales and etched blades but wouldn't want the hassle of honing and stropping, so for me the Feather is perfect. Just wished I could have got the one with the wooden scales.

Cheers
BR

Back
Top Bottom