Thinking about a shavette

Hi Guys,

Been bitten by the shaving bug and have been DE shaving for about 7 months with generally good results (BBS some of the time).

I have started looking at shavettes and doing a little research but I have some questions.

If I can get a reasonable shave and experience using a DE is there any point spending more money? Is it a different/better experience that makes it worthwhile?

The feather shavettes seem to be a lot more money than the other makes such as Parker and looking at pictures some of the cheaper ones look nicer, are the Feathers worth it? I like the wooden handle Feather but it seems sold out everywhere.

I would consider the straight razors but can't be doing with strops and honing ect.

I'm concerned about chopping into my face and doing myself a mischief, is this a serious problem or do most people get over this stage? I notice Feather do a pro-guard blade.

Cheers,
BR

No probs it looks great in all honesty and loading a blade is easy perhaps I used the wrong blade, having read the forum the British wilkinson swords aren't the best of blades. Secondly having no weight it's hard to shave without applying pressure and getting cut, first shave I cut myself around 14 times and I was careful

Nishy said:
No probs it looks great in all honesty and loading a blade is easy perhaps I used the wrong blade, having read the forum the British wilkinson swords aren't the best of blades. Secondly having no weight it's hard to shave without applying pressure and getting cut, first shave I cut myself around 14 times and I was careful

Ah, that doesn't bode well. Maybe I should just stick where I am with my DE

BR

Gravy said:
what about one of those italian shavettes that take a whole DE blade and have a safety bar, before trying a normal one?

Don't really know about those will have to look them up

Cheers,
BR

There are quite a few threads about shavettes and where to get them/prices etc. Try searching via the Straight Edge or Straight Razor sections - I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. There's also a current thread with Kamisori in the title with details of an affordable razor that takes the Feather Pro Guard blades you referred to.

I've never used one or a shavette, but they might be good to get the technique?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daune-Italian-Professional-Safety-Cut-Throat-Double-Edge-Razor-Wet-Shave-/121093233540

someone on here has probably tried one at some point, so will know if its worth a try

Gravy said:
I've never used one or a shavette, but they might be good to get the technique?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daune-Italian-Professional-Safety-Cut-Throat-Double-Edge-Razor-Wet-Shave-/121093233540

someone on here has probably tried one at some point, so will know if its worth a try

That's what Italian barbers use. Does the job.

Shavettes arent the easiest to use IMO, yes they are cheap to buy and to use but they are very lightweight and lack any feel. Straights give great feel, can be had pretty cheap but there is obviously the maintenence of them, some people love that side of it too though and they are great when you learn the technique. Feather AC (or similair) in my opinion is the best compromise, I have been using one the last few weeks and love it! The feather is expensive but there are others out there that are cheaper, you will find a thread in here somewhere about them and the name escapes me but from what I have read they are well worth a try.

I have been using a straight on and off for quite a few years now, DE shaving for almost a year, and the feather for two weeks, I have also used the cheap shavette a lot. My favourite at the moment is the Feather AC without a doubt, yes it might seem expensive for what it is but I am really enjoying it and it gives me a cracking shave.

I've been solely DE shaving for 3 years now. i purchased a Feather AC SS which arrived today. Had my first go and am imediately hooked. No irritation or cuts and almost BBS, just a couple of areas that need to be mastered. I can see this becomming my regular shave.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. It seems like most things opinions are split.

I will continue my research and see where I end up, not completely convinced yet.

Cheers,
BR

My input may be a little different than the rest. It may be that my face is less sensitive , I know that it's not because I know more about shaving than the rest, after the 1st few shaves I really haven't had many problems with a Shavette. I do recommend the Parker clone at DX.com. Loads like a Parker, uses 1/2 blades and is all stainless. It's under 5$us delievered. I use the Derby Half Blades. >10$us a 100. No honing, Stropping , no mess. Chg the blade each shave.
The Feather with the ProGuard blade is fantastic. I can do things with that blade that I'd never think of doing with a Shavette or a straight razor. A blade gives me ~10 shaves. I take it out and wash it with alcohol after each shave.

What really makes a difference is the soap that you use. MWF, TOBS St. James, Ingram, a soap that stays wet with slide and a cushion .

Go for the DX.com. If you don't like it your out > 20$us.

I have a shaving shack shavette I bought with the points they give you so it didn't really cost me anything.

the shavette itself is well made so I've no complaints about that but loading the blade can be be annoying, rather than tricky, and there's been times when I think I've got it only for it to move as you try putting the shavette back together.

I've tried the shavette shave about 4 times now with varying degrees of success.

The 2nd time with a Shark half blade was torture. I should have stoped but was anooyed with myself and had to finish. It took about 4 days before my face felt good enough to shave again. The subsequent shaves were simply WTG but I really struggle when it gets to my chin.

First there's the angles and getting it right, ok it takes a few efforts but even placing the blade and thinking you aren't applying pressure has cut me - those blades aer very sharp when there's no guard there to help you. also the stubble on my chin is very dense compared to my cheeks (due to acne scaring) and I have to say there simply isn't enough weight. You do end up trying to apply too much pressure and then making a mess of it.

Get this right and I'm sure you would get a good shave. Certainly on the latter attempts to use it my cheeks and neck have been very smooth and close but on both those occasions I've tried to do my chin but ended up going for the DE to tidy it up.

I've had a mixed bag with these. I don't regret getting it as I wanted to try it but I have to say I've not wanted to return to it very often - the R41 shaves just as well and is safer, imo - that extra weight frm the DE really helps.

However, I still have that itch to scratch and I still keep looking at the Feathers, just put off with the price at the moment but I can see me getting one at some time.

If you want the Feather without the price look at the Korean copy that the guys on here are currently buying. It is in the eastern fixed handle style but apparently can be easily converted to a folding.

Back
Top Bottom