Things are starting to get a little crazy...

I had to visit a small Boots store for work yesterday, and an old boy went to the counter to ask if he could buy a thermometer and some hand sanitizer gel, and was told that they had delivery of both and they flew off the shelves by 9.30

My wife works at Sainsbury's, where small bottles of hand sanitizer are limited to 5 per customer (with signs up stating this at the stock location, and it the tills)
A lady customer went to the checkout with a whole case of the gel containing 12 bottles, along with her trolley of groceries. When told by the cashier that the gel was limited to 5 per customer and that's all she was allowed, she called the cashier a bItch !
The cashier told her that she would not be getting her shopping from Sainsbury's that day, and the Deputy Manager asked her to leave the store and consider herself banned in future

Another one Mrs L told me on Thursday . . .
A customer was at the checkout, and chit chatting with a cashier as you do
She explained that she'd been told by 111 that she needed to self isolate because she was displaying the symptoms of Corona virus, so she thought she'd better go straight to the supermarket to stock up on provisions.
The lady cashier lives with her frail 92 year old mother, who has lung disease, and was rightly concerned that this customer had been coughing and spluttering while at the checkout.

We all know that this nasty virus is potentially life threatening, but hand gel isn't the be all and end all of defence.
Good personal hygiene, and keeping personal space from others while out and about is all that is required imo

As for the toilet roll thing, . . . What's wrong with little squares of newspaper ?

That's all they had at my nan's when I was a kid !

Last edited:
My Mum in the UK is in her 70's and works in a local supermarket a few hours a week as she enjoys meeting the people, but she said it has been bad as people are being very rude and aggressive especially over restrictions etc. She also said that many of her regular customers are not able to get the supplies they need as selfish people are coming in and buying up in bulk.

She very reluctantly told me there had been an incident where a man in his 50's on being told politely by her she couldn't let him have 8 x 18 rolls of Andrex Toilet Paper ( The tills are actually programmed to allow 2). He became very aggressive and got up in her face, fortunately one of her regular customers and a guy she works where close by and the customer immediately knocked him back and away from her.

What sort of Idiot has a go at a very polite lady in her 70's who is only doing as her company has asked her, she is fortunately quite a tough character but it really shook her none the less.

I am trying to pursued her to take a few weeks away from it but the measure of her is she wants to be there for her regular customers. If you see someone behave that way towards staff and you are in a position to do so please intervene as that stuff member is someones family member.

Last edited:
Just returned from Aldi and a lot of the shelves are empty, no pasta, tins or toilets rolls. People are so selfish these days, many of the elderly who are the most vulnerable in our society don't have the money or the transport to stockpile goods, it makes my blood boil. A lot of this sod you I'm alright Jack stems from the Thatcher years in my opinion, rant over

If it is to be armeggedon I could understand it if people were stockpiling chocolate, beers, spirits, bacon, sausages and eggs, but pasta twists

Completely bonkers. I'm told that people who never have done so previously, and who probably never cook and eat it at home, are piling into the pasta craze. As for hand sanitisers, soap and the ingredients for making sanitisers (isopropanol and surgical spirit), the price-gouging going on is a disgrace. I use isopropyl in repairing melodeons, and paid usually about £4.99 for 500 ml. That stuff is selling on eBay for 10 times that, and I hate to think how much is watered down by the spivs, and thus well below the percentage strength to be effective.

Reminds me of "The Third Man" and Harry Lime's lethal adulterated antibiotics.

It's a pity that Bronco and Izal lavatory papers, in single sheets, aren't still around, as their highly-uncomfortable use would certainly reduce consumption. Notwithstanding, some of these selfish panic-buyers could do with a kick to the place where they apply paper.

Stockpiling is driving me nuts. Never mind rations of 5 items per person, why not make it 2, then everyone can get that pack of toilet rolls they need. Also what is with the pasta thing? If I end up stuck in the house for a few weeks the last thing I want is to have pasta for every meal. I got a 24 pack of Andrex yesterday because Tesco were out of all of the smaller size packs and all the cheaper brands too. Aisle was three quarters empty. Its not unusual for me to buy a large pack anyway as it works out better value and means I don't have to buying another 4/9 pack constantly. I would have felt ridiculous walking out with several of them though, and would probably have been beat up in the car park over it! Overheard someone asking for hand gel and staff told her they hadn't had any for 2 weeks.

Went in Home Bargains afterwards and every single person I saw had a pack of 9 loos rolls. The cashier said she was sick of the sight of them. I then went to look at the bog roll aisle and it was empty but I saw a staff member trying to get them off his cage, so I can only presume that they were going straight from the cage into people's trolleys. I find it absurd that there are people out there feeling smug about having a spare room half full of bog roll, hand gel and liquid soap, whilst people who really need them can't find them anywhere.

Stockpiling is driving me nuts. Never mind rations of 5 items per person, why not make it 2, then everyone can get that pack of toilet rolls they need. Also what is with the pasta thing? If I end up stuck in the house for a few weeks the last thing I want is to have pasta for every meal. I got a 24 pack of Andrex yesterday because Tesco were out of all of the smaller size packs and all the cheaper brands too. Aisle was three quarters empty. Its not unusual for me to buy a large pack anyway as it works out better value and means I don't have to buying another 4/9 pack constantly. I would have felt ridiculous walking out with several of them though, and would probably have been beat up in the car park over it! Overheard someone asking for hand gel and staff told her they hadn't had any for 2 weeks.

Went in Home Bargains afterwards and every single person I saw had a pack of 9 loos rolls. The cashier said she was sick of the sight of them. I then went to look at the bog roll aisle and it was empty but I saw a staff member trying to get them off his cage, so I can only presume that they were going straight from the cage into people's trolleys. I find it absurd that there are people out there feeling smug about having a spare room half full of bog roll, hand gel and liquid soap, whilst people who really need them can't find them anywhere.

There is an article on The Sun's website about a mother "showing off" her hoarding supply.

Taken from The Sun :

I currently have at least 60 long-life milk cartons, over 4,000 wipes, 800 nappies, 12 bags of family size pasta, dozens of jars of pasta sauces, super-size bags of crisps, monster munches and dried fruit snacks.
We have a dozen tins of baked beans, tinned fruit, eight bottles of tomato sauce and at least 40 cartons of long life juice.
I have stockpiled 12 toilet cleaners, 500 washing machine tablets, ten bottles of washing up liquid, 12 bottles of disinfectant spray, 12 bottles of shampoo, toilet roll, kitchen towel and soap.
We even have a stockpile of 40 toothbrushes.

Thats not something to be proud about. Not something to gloat over. Its irrational and the newspaper is enabling that irrationality which only then encourages other people to do the same.

Now am I missing something or are we preparing for the end of the world? Before you know it, people will start building fallout shelters

I only have a few odds and Sod's left In my cupboards and a couple of loo rolls left, I've been busy helping my house mate move out on time and going to the vets with Taz I haven't had the inclination to get on a bus a do a shop.
Boy, I'm going to be pissed off if when I do eventually get to the supermarket only to find the shelves have been emptied by a load of selfish idiots! P.

My local Tesco's stock was decimated on Thursday. I know they're a bit more expensive and limited but our local co-op had everything in when I was there today including loo roll and paracetamol (had to have a look out of curiosity!). Could be worth dodging the large stores and heading for somewhere a little smaller?

My local Tesco's stock was decimated on Thursday. I know they're a bit more expensive and limited but our local co-op had everything in when I was there today including loo roll and paracetamol (had to have a look out of curiosity!). Could be worth dodging the large stores and heading for somewhere a little smaller?
Yes I may well do that until some people have come to their senses, thanks for the tip. :) P.

Back
Top Bottom