The Weather

This has certainly been the longest snowfall and coldest snap I've experienced in my life time.

Its currently -10 ish and im freezing my ass off even with heating. The windows even freeze on the inside (damn single glazing). Whats worse is its an early start at work tomorrow. Have to drag my carcass out the scratcher at 5.30am.

Damn it's cold.

How is everyone else bearing up?

I currently feel that "treating" myself in October and buying a £150 winter coat was the best money I've spent all year.

Ouch

5.30, that's a sore one.

I got me and the wee one all dressed up to face the weather this morning only to get to the corner of the street and see everyone being sent back from school. We were forced to head straight back home, turn up the heating, watch Spongebob and eat rubbish instead of school and work. Yay.

School was cancelled for my little lad this morning. Except BBC Suffolk and the schools web page said otherwise. Luckily the school is just down the road so we had a nice snowy walk there and back, then it was Monsters Inc for us! It is refreshing seeing the posts from those above the border (no I don't mean Norfolk!). We think it's bad here with a couple of inches. You have much more snow and much lower temperatures to contend with.

Like a lot of people, I'm "stranded" at home by the 6 foot stretch of ice at the bottom of my drive. I live at the mouth of a cul-de-sac so thru-traffic is negligible. The temperature hasn't raised above -2C all day, nothing's melted, there's no grit in the grit bin across the road, and the supermarkets have all run out of salt. My driveway is on an incline, and I reverse out onto a bend that is also on a hill. It's almost impossible to get out because of that.

I did get out and go for a run in the car this evening to warm it up, but then it took me half an hour of shovel-shovel-dregs of salt-shovel-shovel-cuss to get my wife's car up the drive and into the garage, then my own car onto the drive. It's probably slid off while I've been writing this. And the temp is down to -8C here.

I have some Indian guys working for me at the moment. They were wearing jumpers and big coats in October, they're nearly crying these days.

Good thought, Damian. Has to be worth 10 mins of anyone's time to knock on a door and see if everything's okay.

Though my single-mum next door neighbour has two teenage daughters, swmbo might not like me checking up on them.

andyjreid said:
This has certainly been the longest snowfall and coldest snap I've experienced in my life time.

Its currently -10 ish and im freezing my ass off even with heating. The windows even freeze on the inside (damn single glazing). Whats worse is its an early start at work tomorrow. Have to drag my carcass out the scratcher at 5.30am.

Damn it's cold.

How is everyone else bearing up?

I currently feel that "treating" myself in October and buying a £150 winter coat was the best money I've spent all year.

Hi Andy

You should be ready to go by now - get that coat on and have a great day.

I haven't left my New Forest village for nearly a week now - the cold is keeping everything iced up so cars are best in the garage right now.
One of the lesser understood things is how all this affects the self employed. Many people who work for large organisations don't lose pay when they cannot get to work. Self employed lads and lasses just don't get their money at all.

Hows this for relief from the winter gloom! From my niece in the USA.

Laurie.jpg

One of the lesser understood things is how all this affects the self employed. Many people who work for large organisations don't lose pay when they cannot get to work.

I agree with your initial point Fido but not the second. This weather is an extended public holiday for the public sector...teaching and NHS staff will not be submitting a blizzard of holiday forms or taking unpaid leave I'll wager.

'Health & safety' covers a multitude of excuses and when the money comes from a infinite pot of public money the candour and decency of accountability goes missing quicker than Macavity in a crisis...damn it, I'm getting political; must get back to Guido's site.

The cold is getting to me!
:cry:

Back
Top Bottom