The problem is - failure!

At last I've figured why I can't decide what to do - I have failed!

I cannot get on with Gem razors which leaves me with 98 Gem blades, two Gem Juniors and a Gem Micromatic. All in good nick for these ill-begot devices, Made in USA as they proudly proclaim.

They have to go - either to the back of a cupboard no-one ever goes to or to a new home where they will be loved, cherished and used.

If anyone has any interest, please PM me and I'll furnish photos.

To sweeten the deal, I'll chuck in 9 Rotbart Extra Dunn DE blades - much better than Merkur blades, somewhat better than Derbies and someone will think they are the cat's whiskers. I got a DFS from the missing tenth blade but compare the feel to the Gem blades above - which also gave a DFS but are a lot like the Rotbarts.

And yes - it's still raining! Which has nothing to do with the Gem razors but a lot to do with my mood.

Corrected: made in USA not UK. The sun has come out!

Bechet45 said:
At last I've figured why I can't decide what to do - I have failed!

I cannot get on with Gem razors which leaves me with 98 Gem blades, two Gem Juniors and a Gem Micromatic. All in good nick for these ill-begot devices, Made in USA as they proudly proclaim.

They have to go

Oh hell Carl, don't go beating yourself up,

Those are stupid razors anyway. No. you didn't fail at all. You just stopped pounding your head against the wall, trying to use an unpleasant shaving tool. For some of us who are more highly evolved in the shaving world, the SE is just not refined enough for our tastes. Oh, no offense to the many louts who like those silly things.

How was that? Too subtle maybe?

Dodgy

Another avatar to consider:

Attachments

• dopey.jpg
    dopey.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 11
First smile in the whole sorry affair, muchas gracias, dodgy senor!

The avatar is a good improvement - a little more rotund - 3 or 4 times - and you have me.

Helveticum said:
Johnus said:
You need to become one with the blade. Remember yesterday, look forward to tomorrow but live in the now. Be there now!

Holy shit Johnus, that's some proper Bushido :))

Hah, don't let him bullshit you. It's just that he's so damn old and remembers watching the TV show 'Kung Fu' 40 years ago. Around that time is when the 'one with your universe' kinda crap was popular.

Pretty amazing show for that time. You were always guaranteed at least one good fight scene per episode.

Martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_plYAXXoUs

It's a little before that: Ram Dass. Yes , there are still a few, very few, brain cells left from the 60's. Still have the 'Remember.....' Book somewhere:)-).
God, p-ssed away a lot of years.

Bechet, you have mastered all kind of razors that I had a hard time with, like the Tradere and the Feather AC and R41, so I really think you can master the GEM. See if you can find the Star Damaskeene. It has a little extra bevel on the top of the lid, looks like the GEM 1912. It's the easiest shave of the GEM types. Smooth sailing.

I put the Tradere aside 3 times after trying for several days at the time and finally got the knack. Of course, I traded it this week for a Dovo Bismarck Straight razor. Cut myself to shreds tonight, second ever straight shave. I might put that aside and come back to it.

Anyhow, I have faith in you. Keep the head flat to the face, no pressure and shave. I strop the GEM blade on old blue jeans first or the palm of my hand. Hopefully you didn't get the box cutter blades by GEM. They look just like the shaving ones.

Johnus said:
It's a little before that: Ram Dass. Yes , there are still a few, very few, brain cells left from the 60's. Still have the 'Remember.....' Book somewhere:)-).
God, p-ssed away a lot of years.

Ram Dass! He's not all that well now I understand. A great teacher though.

Try reading a little Eckhart Tolle.

I've got perfect faith in you to come to terms with an SE Bro Bechet, given time and application. Question is whether you really want to spend that much effort getting unsatisfactory shaving experiences with kit you're not enjoying. As The Dodgester says, I'd never think of this as failure. Just an open minded trial of something new which, mayhap, is not for you.Even if you decide to sell the stuff on I'd suggest that you keep one SE and a few blades. That way when the itch returns (& I suspect it will) you can give it a scratch. Who knows, perhaps the good old subconcious will have mused over muscle co ordination and pressures exerted and you may find it has all suddenly fallen into place. You have mastered the Cobra, any SE after that must surely be toothpaste.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Ah! Teachers! Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh - Osho - if you want a Guru but better yet - your own true self. Go inside and quietly search and surely you will find. Let The Universe guide you, she will put before you all you need to learn.

I cannot fathom the lesson she's sending me at the moment - on the one hand I'm being miserly with and miserable about water through my new meter and on the other the stuff falls endlessly from the sky and I'm miserable about that, too.

For the rest, there is TSR! Two types of Gem blades? I have the industrial kind. If there is a 'better' kind - designed for shaving - just maybe I could master SE shaving!

I can use a Gem Micromatic no problem, DFS at first attempt - the head tells you how to use it. But the blades! I tried an industrial strength Gem as a one off amongst testing all the 18 and above DE blades in the TSR Blade Review Spreadsheet. It did not score well!

BazC said:
You got your blades from Paul at Connaught didn't you? Those are the coated shaving ones.

These are the ones I bought - and I notice they are £14 per 100 and not £18 as in the FS post, which I will correct forthwith -
http://connaughtshaving.com/_wp_generated/wp3102dcec.png

There is an actual blade covering part of the carton which clearly states, " For Industrial Use Only" on the bottom of the printed picture of a blade and, "INDUSTRIAL BLADES" after the "100 SINGLE EDGE" at the bottom of the photo.

I'm not doubting for a second that these are the blades all you SE shavers use. I find them industrial on my face, is all.

I am most interested to learn from members resident in The Land Of The Free about another Gem blade.

Back
Top Bottom