the joys of vintage razors...

singerman said:
Frankieabbott said:
I don't own a vintage razor so cannot make comparisons against my current (modern) razor. I don't understand how people think that shaves using a vintage razor may be better than ones using a modern razor. Surely, todays razors design are based on previous iterations of razor!!! Like...the basic components of a razor must be similar today as they were in say the 1950/60's. And are made to quality specs that I would think are similar to their vintage comrades. Is this vintage v new issue just all in the mind? Maybe down to modern BLADE technology.

(Francis awaits vintage razor brigade backlash, lol)

dont think you'll get a backlash frankie, cos its always opinion based :icon_razz:

having started with the popular ej89, i have bought 5 vintage gillettes and i can honestly say that i prefer 4 of them over my ej :icon_razz:

i'm not convinced technology always improves with time - i've yet to come across an electric shaver that shaves as well as vintage or modern de razors :icon_razz:

give it a try mate, you wont be dissappointed! :icon_razz:
I have just made a low bid for an 'older' boxed razor on a web auction site. If I win it then fair enough but having second thoghts now!! The description says it comes with a leather strop so dunno what condition a leather strop from the forties will be in! And on the topic of stropping DE blades....how is it done? Do you strop with blade in hand or strop with blade in razor? And why strop a (relatively) cheap thing such as a DE blade anyway?

What is the name of the Vintage Razor, is it a double edge razor, just that if it comes with a strop it may be a Valet Razor or something like that...... if it is then it's gonna be a problem as they are more to look at than use as you cant buy blades...

Just get a nice Vintage Gillette, can't go wrong with it.......:icon_razz:

Frankieabbott said:
I have just made a low bid for an 'older' boxed razor on a web auction site. If I win it then fair enough but having second thoghts now!! The description says it comes with a leather strop so dunno what condition a leather strop from the forties will be in! And on the topic of stropping DE blades....how is it done? Do you strop with blade in hand or strop with blade in razor? And why strop a (relatively) cheap thing such as a DE blade anyway?

Certainly wont get any "backlash" from me Frankie and I believe you're safe in your views on any kinda shaving kit expressed on TSR.
I mostly use an Ever Ready single edge which is probably at least 50 yrs old; I also have a current Cobra SE. Got to admit that the "old" razor not only is a more comfortable shave (on my skin) but I have an intangible pleasure from still putting a well engineered piece of precision equipment to the use for which it was designed and made.
I kinda suspect that more than me have that wee thrill of pleasure from daily use of a piece of ongoing history, and I hope that my razors will give a new generation of shavers similar pleasure once I'm gone.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Frankie try for something like this : An open comb gillette New.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320857018314?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.
This one was in lovely condition and it gives a great comfortable shave, not bad for something thats around 70-80 years old.

Well at last I see where you vintage guys are coming from! A replated Tech head on the end of a Bobsrazorworks kingwood handle 110mm long, perfectly balanced with a core of brass - and I'm pleasantly amazed. It gave a very gentle and easy shave. Probably just my imagination, but my face seemed to rememeber the touch of a Tech and when running my hand over the finished job, I felt a closeness to my father - he felt like that to my boy's hands - smooth and cleanly shaved but with the merest hint of tomorrow's beard already there.

It's so mild it even went over yesterday's straight razor cut without noticing!

The balance of the razor goes all to pot with an EJ or Muhle head so I'll definitely be Tech shaving again. Come to think of it, missingskin is sending me a Gillette #25 set - birth year - so I might be \Teching even more.

Bechet45 said:
Well at last I see where you vintage guys are coming from! A replated Tech head on the end of a Bobsrazorworks kingwood handle 110mm long, perfectly balanced with a core of brass....

I'd love to see a picture of that Bechet45 - any chance of posting one?

Julese34 said:
Bechet45 said:
Well at last I see where you vintage guys are coming from! A replated Tech head on the end of a Bobsrazorworks kingwood handle 110mm long, perfectly balanced with a core of brass....

You can see it at http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-12621-post-173453.html#pid173453

Bechet45 said:
Well at last I see where you vintage guys are coming from! A replated Tech head on the end of a Bobsrazorworks kingwood handle 110mm long, perfectly balanced with a core of brass - and I'm pleasantly amazed. It gave a very gentle and easy shave. Probably just my imagination, but my face seemed to rememeber the touch of a Tech and when running my hand over the finished job, I felt a closeness to my father - he felt like that to my boy's hands - smooth and cleanly shaved but with the merest hint of tomorrow's beard already there.

It's so mild it even went over yesterday's straight razor cut without noticing!

The balance of the razor goes all to pot with an EJ or Muhle head so I'll definitely be Tech shaving again. Come to think of it, missingskin is sending me a Gillette #25 set - birth year - so I might be \Teching even more.

lovely stuff :icon_razz: i love the reference to your father..........& the brw handles are getting some rave reviews :icon_razz:

Bechet45 said:
Julese34 said:
Bechet45 said:

You can see it at http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-12621-post-173453.html#pid173453

Man that's awesome! Mine is still 'in build' can't wait for it to arrive....

Bechet45 said:
Julese34 said:
Bechet45 said:

that is one gorgeous razor! :icon_razz: what a lovely set too, looks like you have a nice collection on the stand behind too :)

Perusing * bay last night and a vintage Gillette DE razor (Superspeed I think) was selling for £60 with around £12 for postage (American seller)........44 BIDDERS. Crikey...are they that good?

Frankieabbott said:
Perusing * bay last night and a vintage Gillette DE razor (Superspeed I think) was selling for £60 with around £12 for postage (American seller)........44 BIDDERS. Crikey...are they that good?
Lord no! In the antique stores they can be had for $8-12 USD, over here. "Quality" of shave is very relative. Generally, it is rated as closest, least irritating, and aggressive enough to make the fewest passes.

The SS is a middle of the road, generally regarded as comfortable, not overly aggressive, unless you buy the Red tip (IIRC)- the blade has a touch more exposure.

My personal preference is for the SEs. The blades are thicker, generally more exposed, and are not brutal on my skin (some find various SEs to be overly irritating). Any of the Gems/Ever Readys/Star/etc, are excellent shavers. If you have a Wilkinson Sword Pall Mall or Empire, you may use a modern SE in most of those, with possibly a touch of bending, to bring the blade-stops closer together. It is hefty, but I love my Empire, as the blade exposure is adjustable. It can run from close enough to skin a badger, to leaving "stylish" stubble:icon_rolleyes:.

Heljstrand.jpg

This is the Espana version of my CV Heljstrand 7 day set, circa 1927. It also will accept a modern SE, but I enjoy a strop & shave as well, occassionally.:sleepy:

Back
Top Bottom