the joys of vintage razors...

hi gents, a little while ago i bought a 20's ball end open-comb gillette from the bay, in a worn-out old travel kit.

it was rather grotty when i got it, but it's cleaned up quite nicely & i've been hanging on from trying it until i've got a week off work (which is now) just in case i cut my face to ribbons.

using my fave blade (astra sp) and taking time to make a lush lather, i took the plunge yesterday.

i've got to say how pleasantly surprised i was - got a lovely smooth shave doing my normal 1 pass with & 2 against, even the moustache area wasnt a problem.

an absolute snip at less than a fiver delivered, in fact so impressed, the wifey is treating me to have it replated as part of my birthday treat :)

much as i like my ej89, i gotta say its gathered dust since i started trying some vintage beauties :)

rick.

For a long time I used a Merkur 38C and then a somewhat milder Jagger Chatsworth. I then started using an old Gillette Slim Twist - a PIF from someone a while back. After several weeks I have only just gone back to my Chatsworth. A few days later I'm thinking of going back to the old Gillette. I think I prefer its mildness. Vintage razors have a lot to offer and can be great value. Plenty around to try!

My favorite razors are the Gillette '04's 1918 and before. They're great shavers and if you watch are still very reasonable. The 'J' are my favorite. (non ball ends)

i prefer mild too peter, i'm a bit of a wimp!

thanks antdad, i wasnt totally sure as it wasnt advertised properly when i bought it, i've had to go by pics on the web to ID it. good news is, the handle is intact, i've read about them being prone to cracks in the handle.

thanks for your tip johnus, will keep my eye open for one :).

thanks guys :)

Today I put the head from my Tech onto the Edwin Jagger handle and had the best shave I've had. The Tech handle is a little too small and light for me so with the heavier handle and a really gentle head it was, for me, a winning combination.

Julese34 said:
I was recently introduced to a Gillette New head (attached to a BRW handle) and it is easily the best razor I have ever used.

YorkNeil said:
Today I put the head from my Tech onto the Edwin Jagger handle and had the best shave I've had. The Tech handle is a little too small and light for me so with the heavier handle and a really gentle head it was, for me, a winning combination.

do the modern razors & the vintage ones have a standard thread guys? i had never thought of mixing the head n handles before, even more experimentation to be done :) thank you.

singerman said:
do the modern razors & the vintage ones have a standard thread guys? i had never thought of mixing the head n handles before, even more experimentation to be done :) thank you.

I can move handles between my Merkur 33c, Gillette Tech, Gillette New OC, Gillette old type OC and Wardonia. I don't think the threads are identical, some metric v imperial but to be honest they're so coarse that they're close enough and fit with no issue and most importantlyy, no damage to handle or head.

tadpole said:
singerman said:

I can move handles between my Merkur 33c, Gillette Tech, Gillette New OC, Gillette old type OC and Wardonia. I don't think the threads are identical, some metric v imperial but to be honest they're so coarse that they're close enough and fit with no issue and most importantlyy, no damage to handle or head.

thank you, will give it a try :)

As well as giving a lovely shave, I like the ease of blade change and cleaning that comes with my old Gillette TTO's.
My EJ and Merkur are great razors but the thought of handling 3 pieces of razor some mornings often makes me pick up an old, more user friendly Gillette.
regards, beejay

singerman said:
Julese34 said:
I was recently introduced to a Gillette New head (attached to a BRW handle) and it is easily the best razor I have ever used.

YorkNeil said:

Get yourself a BRW handle. You won't look back.

I don't own a vintage razor so cannot make comparisons against my current (modern) razor. I don't understand how people think that shaves using a vintage razor may be better than ones using a modern razor. Surely, todays razors design are based on previous iterations of razor!!! Like...the basic components of a razor must be similar today as they were in say the 1950/60's. And are made to quality specs that I would think are similar to their vintage comrades. Is this vintage v new issue just all in the mind? Maybe down to modern BLADE technology.

(Francis awaits vintage razor brigade backlash, lol)

Frankieabbott said:
I don't own a vintage razor so cannot make comparisons against my current (modern) razor. I don't understand how people think that shaves using a vintage razor may be better than ones using a modern razor. Surely, todays razors design are based on previous iterations of razor!!! Like...the basic components of a razor must be similar today as they were in say the 1950/60's. And are made to quality specs that I would think are similar to their vintage comrades. Is this vintage v new issue just all in the mind? Maybe down to modern BLADE technology.

(Francis awaits vintage razor brigade backlash, lol)

dont think you'll get a backlash frankie, cos its always opinion based :icon_razz:

having started with the popular ej89, i have bought 5 vintage gillettes and i can honestly say that i prefer 4 of them over my ej :icon_razz:

i'm not convinced technology always improves with time - i've yet to come across an electric shaver that shaves as well as vintage or modern de razors :icon_razz:

give it a try mate, you wont be dissappointed! :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom