The importance of a handle

I'm interested to hear others views on the importance of a handle.

I've amassed a reasonably sizeable collection of DE razors. Some shave well. Some butcher me. Some don't get all the whiskers. Usually a period of practice with just one razor improves things.

For the last few days, I've been trying the ATT Atlas handle on a variety of razor heads. It seems to me that all my shaves have been good when using the Atlas handle, which is interesting.

I wondered if others have found a favoured handle improves the shave, or whether people find it just cosmetic.

To elaborate more, I have a Gillette RFB New open comb, which never seemed to shave particularly well for me. It was fine, but I was obviously missing bits. I popped the Atlas on it, and got a really thorough shave.

I'm also wrestling with a Wolfman open comb. For several months, I've been doing lots of damage to myself with this razor. Today I put the Atlas on it, and got a fantastic shave with no nicks.

So perhaps something about the length or weight of the Atlas is helping mitigate my dodgy technique. Two shaves is not enough to be sure.

I prefer the Kronos to the Atlas with almost all the ATT plates I own. Although the Atlas is lovely to look at and grip, it is a tad too light, but as a result provides a very mild shave.

I have a selection of "custom" handles - they do alter the shaving characteristics of a head - sometimes for the better, sometimes not.
Even the "lowly" tech head can be made into a good shaving machine with some weight behind it - here is mine with a UFO Godzilla strapped on to it - its a fab daily go to.
9480036894_2798106cda_n.jpg

I'm interested to hear others views on the importance of a handle.

I wondered if others have found a favoured handle improves the shave, or whether people find it just cosmetic.

Hi there,

Seems to me the ability to custom dial in the razor's feel and performance is a great option. In my case, my favorite Frankenrazor is one using a Stahly head and needs a much different handle than standard.

Also, when I get out old Gillettes the heads won't usually be on the stock handles but instead put on a longer or heavier or grippier or something I like more kinda handle. Most of those vintage original handles are on shorter side and also won't weigh much, like with Old Type Or NEW heads and a nicer handle perks things up during the shave.

Handle selection......what a great invention. Years ago there was very few custom handles being made so this point in time is lots better.

Martin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom