Taylor of Old Bond Street Soaps/Creams

Just tried Sandalwood my English mother-in-law gave me for my birthay.
Scent is great, but I don't know if I loaded the brush too much but it was quite sticky and too thick.
I could not get it to accept more water...
Is it best to lather it in bowl rather than on the face directly?

Scent is great, but I don't know if I loaded the brush too much but it was quite sticky and too thick.
Lather on the face or in a bowl it’s a choice thing,
We all prefer different things.
An Almond amount of cream is enough.
Keep dipping the tips of the brush in to water until you have the right consistency.
I seem to lather up for ages,
not because i need to but i enjoy getting it to the right consistency for me.
Take your time you’ll get there

As long as the cream hasn't dried slightly to a croap, I used to just dip my brush in the tub, to lightly coat the tips of the brush. Wring out the brush first. I'd probably get 4/5 months from a tub with daily use.

You hardly need any product with TOBS cream to produce enough for a three pass shave. Sounds like you definitely overloaded!

TOBS Jermyn Street, is my favourite scent of a soap/cream I have used in the last 10 years of DE shaving. Sadly, I struggle using it though as it seems to dry out too soon. Not used it for a few years - should probably buy some & give it another good go!

TOBS Jermyn Street, is my favourite scent of a soap/cream I have used in the last 10 years of DE shaving. Sadly, I struggle using it though as it seems to dry out too soon. Not used it for a few years - should probably buy some & give it another good go!
What would be your time scale on it drying out ?
iv had the Eton College cream for over 2 years & it’s fine.
i guess different ingredients react differently

Apologies, and to clarify - I found that it dried out on my chops whilst shaving. I recall varying the amounts of water used without success.
hahahaha no worries that’s a for clarifying.
I find it to be superb although not as good as Trufefitt & Trumpers but good nonetheless.
Just as well we’re all different lol.
I do find this dryness with a lot of soap/creams but not with Taylor’s yet

As long as the cream hasn't dried slightly to a croap, I used to just dip my brush in the tub, to lightly coat the tips of the brush. Wring out the brush first. I'd probably get 4/5 months from a tub with daily use.
I do the same. With Simpsons I barely use any yet get a great lather. A friend tried my cream but stuck the brush well in, then complained that it was drying on his face. TOBS the same. Use very little. I never have soap/cream dry on my face.

Having revisited TOBS over the last couple of months, I'm really impressed with the quality of the lather and the scents. Worked my way through a stash of sample of pots. So far, Jermyn Street has my favourite scent - followed by Almond & Eton College. Performance across the creams seems to be the same. Had no issues with these creams, despite struggling a number of years ago.

Just ordered another batch of samples from Connaughts. Particularly looking forward to trying Peppermint & Grapefruit.

Last edited:
Having revisited TOBS over the last couple of months, I'm really impressed with the quality of the lather and the scents. Worked my way through a stash of sample of pots. So far, Jermyn Street has my favourite scent - followed by Almond & Eton College. Performance across the creams seems to be the same. Had no issues with thus cream, despite struggling a number of years ago.

Just ordered another batch of samples from Connaughts. Particularly looking forward to trying Peppermint & Grapefruit.
I have the peppermint and really enjoy it in the summer, very refreshing.
I'm tending to reach for my tub of St James at the moment, love the scent.

Have tried a lot of the TOBs creams, and for me the standouts are the oud, the tobacco, and the grapefruit. All really lovely scents in different ways, and performance is always second to none. Really like the scent of the sandalwood hard soap, more than the cream version or the shaving stick, but really struggle to get a decent lather out of it.

Intrigued by both the oud and shaving shop, but not seen any reviews of either yet. Do wish TOBS wouldn’t keep putting their prices up though, must have doubled in the last two or three years
Agree about the price rises. I used to pick up TOBs creams for about £6 a tub four or five years ago and now some of them are about £19. I know costs are more expensive these days, but it feels like price gouging to me. That said, you really ought to try the oud, you won’t be disappointed! It really has a lovely scent.

I got a couple of tubs of tobs back in January, as a result of birthday hints

Jermyn Street, which was one of the first shave soaps i ever bought, and brings back many happy memories.

Sandlewoood also, which is an impressive performer for scent, lather and glide.

I think tobs are very good indeed.

Back
Top Bottom