Tatara Muramasa Adjustable Razor Review Thread

I've noticed that due to its unique design for gap/exposure adjustability, the lather dispersal holes are located towards the razor's edges. Does this has an impact on how it deals with the lather? Do you have to rinse it out often? More often than a regular razor? Please tell me you do! Tell me that is an absolute nightmare dealing with all the lather caught up in the razor.

Please appreciate my efforts in trying to find something at fault with this razor. :)
I'm a frequent rinser so it's not a problem I've ever experienced. I'm sure it has the potential to be world ending though!

20221222_084333.jpg

Razor: Tatara Muramasa
Blade: NOS Gillette Super Silver (1)
Brush: Simpson CH3 SiLVERTiP
Soap: B&M LGC

2.5 days of growth to take down. Started with setting #5 for the first pass and then moved back to #4 for the second. Absolutely wonderful shave. All the gear worked together perfectly. I'm not going to bother restraining my hyperbole any further. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Murumasa now. It's what I hoped the Rex Konsul was going to be. Sorry chaps but this isn't going near the BST. I'm really looking forward to the next shave. As far as I'm concerned, this is the adjustable for me.

View attachment 97807

Blade: NOS Gillette Super Silver (1)
Brush: Simpson CH3 SiLVERTiP
Soap: B&M LGC

2.5 days of growth to take down. Started with setting #5 for the first pass and then moved back to #4 for the second. Absolutely wonderful shave. All the gear worked together perfectly. I'm not going to bother restraining my hyperbole any further. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Murumasa now. It's what I hoped the Rex Konsul was going to be. Sorry chaps but this isn't going near the BST. I'm really looking forward to the next shave. As far as I'm concerned, this is the adjustable for me.
I'm glad the verdict is in, and its favourable.

Your experience is pretty close to mine with the Murumasa, and it's become one of those razors that cause me to abandon my usual, if haphazard, razor rotation sequences, just so that I can use it again (and again, and again). The only point on which I think we may diverge is the Konsul, where I have to weigh up whether that or the Murumasa is my current "bestie". That said, the three days from Christmas Eve will be Murumasa Time, Mistletoe and Wine.

Felicitations and greetings of the season to one and all.

20221224_085629.jpg

Blade: NOS Gillette Super Silver (2)
Brush: Simpson CH3 Manchurian
Soap: B&M Cool

Another great shave. Decided to throw an ATG pass in to the mix that was also very comfortable with the razor dialled in. I'm clearly enjoying the Muramasa as I've not glanced at my other razors.

I'm glad the verdict is in, and its favourable.

Your experience is pretty close to mine with the Murumasa, and it's become one of those razors that cause me to abandon my usual, if haphazard, razor rotation sequences, just so that I can use it again (and again, and again). The only point on which I think we may diverge is the Konsul, where I have to weigh up whether that or the Murumasa is my current "bestie". That said, the three days from Christmas Eve will be Murumasa Time, Mistletoe and Wine.

Felicitations and greetings of the season to one and all.
Let us know your thoughts on the Muramasa and if it helps you make a call between the Konsul and Muramasa.

Although the two are
Let us know your thoughts on the Muramasa and if it helps you make a call between the Konsul and Muramasa.
Although the two are very different, in looks and in the major aspects of design (adjustment, slant etc.), I find that I can achieve an excellent end-result with either, and that's with a strikingly-similar smoothness and efficiency. Length, weight, balance, and grippiness are different, but equally satisfactory in the use of the razors.

I mentioned some of the minor foibles of the Muramasa earlier in the thread, but the "contrary" adjustment and stiffness thereof still catches me out. I've tried it on all settings, but I get best results on anything from just under 4 and upwards. I don't think it would do me very well with any of the less-sharp blades, and I've been using Gillette Platinums, Perma-Sharp, Personna Platinum and Lab Preps in it. As I normally do with other adjustables, I tend to use adjustment to match the blade(s) in use to the razor, rather than altering for each pass. This shaves in two passes anyway, so changing the setting midstream doesn't seem worth it, except when I'm trying out a different blade for the first time, and not getting the best.

With the Konsul, I find that something around 3-4 or 4.5 suits me best. Although I normally shave daily, I've tried comparing the two, as closely matched as possible with blade etc., for removing a day or two's growth. For that operation, I think that the Konsul is slightly better, as it never tugs and cuts well on the first pass. In daily use, it seems to me that both performance and result are almost identical, and there's nothing in the "feel" to mark either out. I suppose I could use a razor "per side" if I wanted to make a truly empirical test, but that's not really called for.

Since the hot summer and the now-rocketing cost of producing hot water, I've been cold-water shaving with every razor (reversion to student days), and although it varies with different soaps, it's not quite so quick or easy to rinse out any soap blockages. The Konsul slots are larger than the Murumasa's, clog slightly less, and clear more easily, but nowadays I'm not shaving to a morning deadline, so it's not a bother.

I'm happy to enjoy alternating between these two, along with the other non-vintage adjustables (various Merkur - esses, Pearl and Ambassador), although the Ambassador has, by virtue of comparison with Konsul, dropped a notch or two in my estimation.

Although the two are

Although the two are very different, in looks and in the major aspects of design (adjustment, slant etc.), I find that I can achieve an excellent end-result with either, and that's with a strikingly-similar smoothness and efficiency. Length, weight, balance, and grippiness are different, but equally satisfactory in the use of the razors.

I mentioned some of the minor foibles of the Muramasa earlier in the thread, but the "contrary" adjustment and stiffness thereof still catches me out. I've tried it on all settings, but I get best results on anything from just under 4 and upwards. I don't think it would do me very well with any of the less-sharp blades, and I've been using Gillette Platinums, Perma-Sharp, Personna Platinum and Lab Preps in it. As I normally do with other adjustables, I tend to use adjustment to match the blade(s) in use to the razor, rather than altering for each pass. This shaves in two passes anyway, so changing the setting midstream doesn't seem worth it, except when I'm trying out a different blade for the first time, and not getting the best.

With the Konsul, I find that something around 3-4 or 4.5 suits me best. Although I normally shave daily, I've tried comparing the two, as closely matched as possible with blade etc., for removing a day or two's growth. For that operation, I think that the Konsul is slightly better, as it never tugs and cuts well on the first pass. In daily use, it seems to me that both performance and result are almost identical, and there's nothing in the "feel" to mark either out. I suppose I could use a razor "per side" if I wanted to make a truly empirical test, but that's not really called for.

Since the hot summer and the now-rocketing cost of producing hot water, I've been cold-water shaving with every razor (reversion to student days), and although it varies with different soaps, it's not quite so quick or easy to rinse out any soap blockages. The Konsul slots are larger than the Murumasa's, clog slightly less, and clear more easily, but nowadays I'm not shaving to a morning deadline, so it's not a bother.

I'm happy to enjoy alternating between these two, along with the other non-vintage adjustables (various Merkur - esses, Pearl and Ambassador), although the Ambassador has, by virtue of comparison with Konsul, dropped a notch or two in my estimation.
That's a great assessment. Thank you.

View attachment 97893

Blade: NOS Gillette Super Silver (2)
Brush: Simpson CH3 Manchurian
Soap: B&M Cool

Another great shave. Decided to throw an ATG pass in to the mix that was also very comfortable with the razor dialled in. I'm clearly enjoying the Muramasa as I've not glanced at my other razors.
Sounds like the Emporium will be restocked soon with these neglected razors? No point them gathering dust! (y)

20221225_181221.jpg

Blade: NOS Gillette Super Silver (3)
Brush: Highlander Chubby SynBad
Soap: B&M Cheshire

The blade started it's decline on this shave. I could sense a marginal drop in performance. The shave was still enjoyable but it's provided a window for me to step back. The Tatara Nodachi is loaded for the next shave so I can do a comparison.

How do I sum up my experience with the Muramasa? I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It looks great, feels great in the hand and provides me with thoroughly enjoyable shaves. It's not a razor for those that enjoy aggressive razors. This razor peaks at mid-aggresiveness. It works best for me with a sharper blade. This razor is a keeper.

I'll let you know my thoughts vs the Nodachi over the next couple of shaves.

Last edited:
I'll let you know my thoughts vs the Nodachi over the next couple of shaves.
This I am very curious about, after trying the Ti I was very tempted by the Nodachi with the Masamune handle, but your comments on the muramasa have piqued my interest...I need to stop reading stuff on this bloody forum! ;)

Last edited:
I bought one of these and now the internet needs to know what I think about it.

View attachment 97377

Blade: GSB (1)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3 LE
Soap: Stirling Piacenza

First shave with the Muramasa. I went in to this with open eyes - neutral expectations. I had a couple of days growth so stated on the max setting of the Muramasa given the mild reputation it has.

Verdict after shave 1 - great! It's an unusual feeling - a heavy Tatara. I say heavy, it's not Rex or Pearl heavy. It's well balanced and looks fantastic. The dimpled grip is just as effective as it is on the Masumune. Setting 5 proved to be ideal. It even felt comfortable enough to deliver a third pass for me - not many razors work well ATG for me.

It's the first shave with a new razor that has initially impressed me so I won't gush too much during this honeymoon period. Looking forward to the next shave.
Thank God it’s not a video review
i don’t want to see you gush :oops:

,,,How do I sum up my experience with the Muramasa?...

TqTYR3b.gif

20221227_103550.jpg

Razor: Tatara Nodachi
Blade: Gillette Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Highlander Patriot SynBad
Soap: OSP Urban Viking

A comparison with the Nodachi whilst the Muramasa is still fresh in my mind. I can feel the similarities between setting #5 and the Nodachi. The weight of the Muramasa seems to smooth things out somewhat whereas the lightness of the Nodachi reminds you of the razor's keenness. It's also the first shave on thos Gillette Black so I'll return after shave 2 to confirm or dispute these initial comments.

Back
Top Bottom