Tatara Muramasa Adjustable Razor Review Thread

Do they do a 'Spinal Tap' version with 6 in that case?

It is probably not quite me anyway. As you know adjustables are not my forte but it is beautiful looking piece of kit. As it stands the Nodachi remains a stunning razor. Aggressive in a mild manner and nice engineering tolerances and fit. Why I bought two of them.

If I momentarily park my salesmanship, I don't think this razor is your type. I think you'd find it too mild. I need to give the Nodachi and Masumune a go after this for a comparison but if my memory serves me correctly, setting 5 on this razor is still milder than a Nodachi.

I've just realised that I've not explained the settings at any point during this review thread. The razor goes from 1-5 and adjust both blade gap and exposure at the same time - that's what makes this adjustable razor unique. Setting 5 offers the largest gap and exposure.
According to the Tatara details, and forgive me if memory lets me down, Nodachi is .90 gap/.13 exposure, and Muramasa.90/.17 at 5. If that's right, then for me the Muramasa is oddly enough a more comfortable shave, and I certainly feel that the other razor might be less forgiving if I let it.

Do they do a 'Spinal Tap' version with 6 in that case?

It is probably not quite me anyway. As you know adjustables are not my forte but it is beautiful looking piece of kit. As it stands the Nodachi remains a stunning razor. Aggressive in a mild manner and nice engineering tolerances and fit. Why I bought two of them.
Funny you mention that, I was about to ask whether it went to 11!

go to 11 spinal tap GIF

According to the Tatara details, and forgive me if memory lets me down, Nodachi is .90 gap/.13 exposure, and Muramasa.90/.17 at 5. If that's right, then for me the Muramasa is oddly enough a more comfortable shave, and I certainly feel that the other razor might be less forgiving if I let it.
I've just lifted this from the Tatara website:

⚫1 - gap = 0.60mm / exposure = negative 0.17mm

⚪2 - gap = 0.70mm / exposure = negative 0.07mm

⚫3 - gap = 0.75mm / exposure = 0 mm

⚪4 - gap = 0.80mm / exposure = positive 0.07mm

⚫5 - gap = 0.90mm / exposure = positive 0.17mm

Muramasa-levels-1024x335.jpg

You are correct - it looks like the Nodachi is 0.9 gap by 0.13 exposure:

Specifications-Masamune-Series.png

I must use the other Tataras after this for a solid comparison. I'm currently going from a distant memory.

20221216_211322.jpg

Razor: Tatara Muramasa
Blade: Gillette 7OC Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Oumo 24mm Manchurian
Soap: P&B Interlinked

The 7 O'clock Black provided a noticeably sharper edge to the Muramasa. I kept the razor on setting 5 throughout the shave and achieved a 'DFS' with 2.5 passes. Whilst fine in terms of finish and comfort, this setting/blade combo didn't do it for me for some reason. I'll try setting 4 next to see if that changes things.

20221218_092758.jpg

Blade: Gillette 7OC Super Platinum (2)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Soap: SV Desert Vetiver

Everything came together for a great shave. The Gillette Black and setting #4 on the Muramasa hit the sweet spot today. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

The Muramasa is beautifully designed razor. It's heavy - like any adjustable - but it's probably the lightest adjustable razor I've owned. The balance is perfect. I held it between 3 light fingertips today and let the weight of the razor do the work. Grip was ever present and I had audio feedback to let me know it was cutting. I needed that noise as the shave itself was buttery smooth. Even on my neck - constant comfort. If the remaining shaves are like this, the Muramasa is a contender for my favourite* razor.

*Don't ask me what my favourite razors are. I've no idea. All the ones I've kept and not sold?

20221218_163330.jpg

Blade: Gillette 7OC Super Platinum (3)
Brush: Highlander Lime Chubby
Soap: Nivea Men Cream

Another great shave. I appear to have clicked with this razor. I'm going to load a NOS vintage blade next to see how I get on with that. I won't write any more as I'll only be echoing my thoughts from yesterday.

I've noticed that due to its unique design for gap/exposure adjustability, the lather dispersal holes are located towards the razor's edges. Does this has an impact on how it deals with the lather? Do you have to rinse it out often? More often than a regular razor? Please tell me you do! Tell me that is an absolute nightmare dealing with all the lather caught up in the razor.

Please appreciate my efforts in trying to find something at fault with this razor. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom