Tatara Muramasa Adjustable Razor Review Thread

28/12/2022

Razor: Tatara Nodachi
Blade: Gillette Super Platinum (2)
Brush: Highlander Tiger Silvertip
Soap: Palmolive Soap

Raw - that's the difference between the Nodachi and Muramasa #5. The Nodachi feels like a surgical instrument that gives you audio feedback as you cut. It also feels more tactile as a result. It's a raw experience. I don't mean that in the sense that it left me raw. It's more of an involved shave. The weight and increased size of the Muramasa removes this rawness. It's easy and feels much more 'safe' as a result. At this setting, they both have the same blade gap and exposure but they provide different experiences.

@Satanfriendly - I was thinking about you during this shave (in a non-homoerotic way). I don't think the Muramasa is your thing. You'd use it at the max setting and it wouldn't give you that rawness that you enjoy from you razors. I've just saved you a fair bit of money.

28/12/2022

Raw - that's the difference between the Nodachi and Muramasa #5. The Nodachi feels like a surgical instrument that gives you audio feedback as you cut. It also feels more tactile as a result. It's a raw experience. I don't mean that in the sense that it left me raw. It's more of an involved shave. The weight and increased size of the Muramasa removes this rawness. It's easy and feels much more 'safe' as a result. At this setting, they both have the same blade gap and exposure but they provide different experiences.

@Satanfriendly - I was thinking about you during this shave (in a non-homoerotic way). I don't think the Muramasa is your thing. You'd use it at the max setting and it wouldn't give you that rawness that you enjoy from you razors. I've just saved you a fair bit of money.

It is very touching that you think of me while shaving in the raw. I will pay the same respect in return later today and publish the results on X-Hamster. I think their SOTD section is simply called 'Shaven' and I recall being a little shocked When I went in search of some shaving tips. In fact several hours of being a little shocked.

You are probably right, and one of the reasons I choose not to be much of a fan of adjustables. You also mention the word 'raw' with the Nodachi which is pretty correct, in the same sense as the Ikon B1 is 'raw'. But things are easy got around by adjusting any pressure applied and easing back if things don't feel right. My idea of an adjustable starts and finishes with how I control the shave.

Your comparison of the two also goes a long way to show there is a lot more than just 'blade gap' which dictates how aggressive a razor may be.

Interesting stuff though but I think I will give it a miss, as pretty as it looks. But then I am just waiting for the next batch of Lambda Athenas to be available (very soon I understand) as I have a reserve on one. It will be my £1 coin saving tin reward.

It's 80% your fault
28/12/2022

You haven't saved me any money Chris, thanks a lot! :) well and truly enabled!
What's worse is I now have a payment to " Slick Boy's on my bank statement!
They couldn't have picked a worse name! :) what must my bank manager think!

Paul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom