Tabac - is that it?

Thanks to the generosity of JohnnyO and Rev-O I've got quite a selection of great soaps to try and I'm working my way through them as quick as my beard will allow. I was especially keen to try the Tabac sample from Rev-O as lots of people say how good it is. I remember my Dad using it when I was a kid. Stuff of legends. I'd kind of built it up in my mind as something just I had to try. On opening the sampe it didn't seem to smell of anything. Lathering up for the first shave, I thought it smelled of, well, soap. Second time out and, still soap. A manly sort of soap, but still mainly soap. Lathered great, but so does my Palmolive stick which is about 1/4 of the price. I feel a bit let down. I mean, it works well, doesn't smell unpleasant, just the experience didn't match the legend.

Dad now uses Nivea goo in a can, so that shoud have told me something... but I have to thank Rev-O for the sample, I'd hate to have splshed out on a bowl of the stuff. Oh well, next up Irisch Moos..!

The phrase "...doesn't smell unpleasant..." sums it up for you, I believe. With this soap, it's either love or nothing.

I personally loved the scent ever since I was a teenager, and that hasn't changed until today. This of course despite the fact that I have found few other 'loves' along the way...

if your T'bac experience wasn't all that

prepare to be let down by the Moos, it's the same stuff

which is why i like them :D
i do prefer the stick version but something sounds amiss with your experience, especially the part about the smell
Tabac is pretty unique and unmistakable

has the Rev bummed you off with some inferior plop :?

Well, to me the Irisch Moos smells nicer dry. Less err, soapy, more fresh. I've got so much soap now I don't need to buy any for at least a year. Maybe the Tabac will grow on me by then! :D

NO!

The Moos smells like hotel toiletries - too green and "air freshener" for me.

Tabac is the best all rounder (certainly on the price:performance ratio).

Tallow, European, a classic: yes, the same could be said of Palmolive but Tabac is better in every way (and Palmolive ain't bad, so that's saying something.)

Some people gag at the smell but it is just a musky, leathery, masculine soapy smell.

And the lather is so cushioning: it performs like a top-end cream instead of a mass-produced soap.

Rev O can go a bit overboard with the hyperbole concerning Tabac (he is a preacher) but it is just a soap albeit a very good one and decent value if you like the scent but if you prefer Palmolive I'd stop there, Moos is just a different smelling Tabac.

slowblade said:
"if you prefer Palmolive I'd stop there" but where's the fun in that antdad?

Tomorrow, I'll be mostly smelling of hotel toilet trays!

:lol: It isn't often i disagree with the Rev, but i have to when it comes to the Moos! I really like this and have to side with SirPrize on this. Not that i dislike tabac by a long shot, they are just 2 different scents for different days for me. ;)

I'm with Ollie with regard to Tabac / Irisch Moos, the latter having quite a pronounced synthetic tang to it in my opinion, not quite unpleasant, but getting there. The performance in both cases is unarguable though - excellent stuff.

I love Arko - it's a smell I've grown to like more & more. Plus it produces fantastic, slick & thick lather instantly.

Tabac - great stuff, wonderful lather - though I'm still not completely sold on the scent. Reminds me a bit of Imperial Leather soap. Still tempted to get myself a jar of it at some point though, and keep the stick for travelling.

Back
Top Bottom