Swearing.......do you speak it?

Used in the correct and proper context it can be poetic, humorous especially when no other word(s) will do, spat out machine gun like and it looses all potency.

antdad said:
Used in the correct and proper context it can be poetic, humorous especially when no other word(s) will do, spat out machine gun like and it looses all potency.

Yep, you're right there. I believe swearing can also still make situations uncomfortable because there are some people really offended by hearing certain words no matter what the context is.

Far as words being used like an automatic weapon goes, maybe some of you Limeys aren't familiar with the HBO series called Deadwood. Here's a 'best of' video to sorta cleanse everyone's audio palate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj74tvkFDZI

No idea how many of you know the history of Deadwood South Dakota. Pretty nuts mining town that was a no holds barred kinda place around the 1880s. This series is a bit on the 'gritty' side, as you may have figured.

dodgy said:
Far as words being used like an automatic weapon goes, maybe some of you Limeys aren't familiar with the HBO series called Deadwood. Here's a 'best of' video to sorta cleanse everyone's audio palate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj74tvkFDZI

Have to admit I chortled at that Mart.

My wife on the other hand...............:blush:

antdad said:
Blimey, Lovejoy never swore.

Well that was absurd enough to make me laugh for a few seconds. Thanks Tony.

I usta watch Lovejoy back in the day and it was pretty darn good usually. Definitely a G rated show with zero obscene language. Ian had to learn all those swear words for the Deadwood role, and to say em convincingly. He did ok I thought..........

The whole point of swearing is to add emphasis or anger to a statement and, used in moderation, is very good at that. When someone who doesn't swear suddenly comes out with profane language you know they're making a point and you take notice.

I work in a not very nice inner-city area and walking down the street, when overhearing conversations, I would say that every other person uses the f-word in just about every sentence. To me, that loses the whole point of swearing and so loses its effect.
The only impression I get is that they don't have the vocabulary to express themselves any other way and instead of being offended or scared of them (which I suppose is the reason they use for swearing) I just think less of them.

I'm not opposed to creative profane language but just to use the f-word all the time gets tiresome. It amazes me how this word has lasted so many decades with so little meaning. I figure it's just a lazy, abrasive word easy to pronounce. In the age of language short-cuts, instant messaging and email etc. it's interesting that people waste time with adding extra words that add no benefit.

To answer the OP's question, personally yes I do but only when the occasion calls for it (jokes etc.) with people I know, but very rarely in public. I think it's all about respecting people that you don't know.

My favourite at the moment is ball-ache, is that swearing?

I have been known to use profanity on occasion but I try not to as a rule. The more you use it, the less impact it has. Also, and I forget where I heard this but I happen to think it makes sense, using profane language gives people an excuse not to listen to you.

My favourite at the moment is probably 'f*cktard'.

The worst part of swearing to me is when it's done by parents in front of and often at their children,and I'm not talking about the odd word slipping out,I'm talking full blooded effing and worst of all c'ing in front of their kids,with absolutely no shame at all,they don't even know it's wrong.
And these children will go on to have their own kids and the whole cycle goes on and on and gets bigger all the time.
The chav culture and chav society is growing and expanding.

Sam.

I can get quite a few swear words in a sentence when i'm sat at a roundabout whilst fully loaded (44 ton), and yet another car driver has no idea that his/her vehicle has indicators.

I used to swear like a trooper but you tend to ease up on these things when you have kids. Wouldn't dream of swearing in front of my kids.
I now mostly do all my swearing at work, not in front of customers, but with my staff and mostly out of frustration. Oh...and potty mouth Niral usually makes an appearance when he's out drinking with his mates too.

I try hard not to swear, as others above have stated it can be useful to add emphasis and used in the correct context is ok. But used continuously it makes me cringe. Some guys at my work swear with every second word and it has just become part of their everyday language, which I find a bit sad.

Swearwords are actually quite interesting and how some of them get used is really strange. For instance, the phrase (look away now!) fuck off is generally used to tell people in no uncertain terms to please go away. What does the word mean though? A quick google comes up with
"Verb, vulgar. Have sexual intercourse with"
Who on earth came up with the idea of using it to tell someone to leave you alone?

Back
Top Bottom