Summers greetings!

quattrojames said:
I have fairly sensitive skin under my chin and on my neck, and suffer from ingrowing hairs too.

When I shaved with a WS Quattro Ti I had terrible trouble with ingrown hairs and sensitive skin, but when I got the hang of DE shaving it solved both problems, for me at least.

Hello James, and welcome to the forum.

Just a couple of points from me: I wouldn't buy anything for the time being as you've got decent soap and a brush which will work. Hang around here for a while before making a decision about the razor. The second thing is that it's unlikely you'll hit on the right blade for you straight away, so when you do get a razor, buy a sample pack to go with it.

Hello QJames,

Good to meet you & very welcome indeed. Jeltz has given a good guide of a general plan and there's no doubt that a good lather and taking more time than you imagine you need to really work it in is a major part of the secret. I use a Muhle 89c , whom I believe supply the head for some of the elegant Edward Jagger DEs and it's a very gently razor which is well capably of giving me as nice a shave as I mostly need. Perhaps you may find a slightly more expensive cream an easy route to a rich luxurious lather. Trumper's Rose is notorious for soothing sensitive skin which is prone to razor burn. Their Coral skin food is also effectively a glycerine based treatment which will assist in rehydrating the skin and plumping it up.

Whatever you eventually decide on you're really going to enjoy having a special wee bit of "me" time from now on , so let us all know what happens plse.

JohnnyO.

Thanks all for the advice - keep it coming ;)

I think a lot of my problems are down to using the blade when it is blunt, Gillette blades cost so much and I'm a skin flint! (I'm not alone on here by the sounds of it!) :lol:

Much of the appeal of a DE blade is being able to change the blade when it needs it, rather than flogging on for a few more days! I'm hoping that this in conjunction with an approved technique will improve my shave experience.

I'm off to watch some shave videos :ugeek:

Hi James and welcome to TSR! You could go for a straight and then you don´t have to buy those DE blades :D . Presure thing is important though, when using both DE:s and straights. If you ever decide to go for a straight lmk, there are cheap set ups/suloutions for sure. Shave on!

Hi Mikael ;)

I'm thinking a straight is definitely something I'd like to work towards, I've barely scratched the surface on reading about them, before you mention strops etc lol :lol:

I'm going to work on my technique, leading to buying a DE razor and then maybe a straight once I've got the hang of that :shave

I'm already working on my lathering with my boar brush and some Palmolive soap!

Welcome on board James.

I started my foray into wet shaving with a Wilkinson Boar brush .. its a decent brush to cut your teeth on.
Arko shave stick.. all good. The Palmolive and erasmic sticks are also popular here.
Good quality but cheap products that do wonders for your shaves.

Razor wise, we all have our favourites here and your going to get an opinion from everyone where you should start.. but there's a list of the ideal starter DE's
in the introduction thread. (Some razors are well worth avoiding till you get your DE shaving wings).

Take your time , and ask as many questions as you like - no matter how daft you might think they are.

Back
Top Bottom