Summers greetings!

Hello all

My name is James and I'm from south UK. I've signed up here to get some hints and tips to improve my shaves!

I currently use a Gillette Fusion Power (or similar!) razor, and Clinique shave products. I need to be clean shaven for work, and by the end of the week my skin is sore and I dread entering the bathroom! :roll:

I've got some idea's to improve what I do, and will share them and seek some advice in the relevant forums!

;)

Hello James & welcome to TSR.

You are in a good spot for some sound advice on anything to do with wet shaving. The craics alright as well.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You are in the right place! Gillette and Wilkinson Sword's marketing machine have done a very effective job, but you will find that learning to shave properly with one blade is far more effective and comfortable that shaving badly with 5.

You mention the razor but of equal (or maybe more) importance is the lather. Using a brush and decent creams/soaps will improve your shave as will the proper preparation.

You'll need to get some decent kit and for a reasonably priced set-up I'd suggest the following Edwin Jagger DE Razor (the heads are the same but the handles differ) however there are other brands such as Merkur which are well regarded too.

A good brush, a cheap but effective one is the Vulfix 404 Badger/Boar mix be aware that there are 3 different brushes called 404 the one you want is the £8.40 one on that site.

Some soap or cream, I'd go for Palmolive soap stick or cream which are available from Tesco etc quite cheaply.

Best wishes

Nic

Welcome QJames

Jeltz has outlined the route to take if you want to make the jump to full wet shaving with a double edge (D.E) razor.

If you want to improve the results with what you've got that's also achievable with some small changes.

Study the guides and ask away.

Wow - thanks for the welcome guys :cool:

I currently use a brush and shave gel. Its a Wilkinson Sword brush (badger maybe...?) - for now at least I'm going to focus on getting the right razor and blades rather than try and run before I can walk!

I have fairly sensitive skin under my chin and on my neck, and suffer from ingrowing hairs too.

In order to narrow the choice down I've started looking at Merkur razors, (for no other reason than to narrow choice, I'm totally open to alternatives.) I've always wet shaved, but only ever with a Gillette 'type' razor, so am on a steep learning curve!

Having read the guide on here, I'm considering whether to go for a 2 or 3 piece razor, would the 2 piece ones be too aggressive for a novice? Should I go for the a 3" or 4" handle?

The 37 and 39C seem designed for sensitive skin and coarse hair, which is what I have. Would that be too aggressive to learn with, and something I'm better to work towards?

@ Jeltz - thanks for the Edwin Jagger link, that looks like it has a lot of potential too.

And I still need to think about blades...... :lol:

The easiest way to improve your shave is to focus on preparing your beard properly and creating better lather with a better soap.

Go buy a soap stick and tube of palmolive cream and study the lathering/shaving video guides in "Shaving Help" by mantic. Your brush will be fine for the moment.

antdad said:
The easiest way to improve your shave is to focus on preparing your beard properly and creating better lather with a better soap.

Go buy a soap stick and tube of palmolive cream and study the lathering/shaving video guides in "Shaving Help" by mantic. Your brush will be fine for the moment.

Thanks for the tip! I recently had a holiday in Turkey and bought a shave soap stick following a proper shave :shave

I just need to liberate a ramakin dish from the kitchen now! :lol:

If its from Turkey it's probably Arko, good soap and nice in this weather.

Turkish barbers like to slice a bit off and press it into the bottom of a mug and lather away with a wet brush.

With your Wilkinson boar brush it's a great way to start.

G
antdad said:
If its from Turkey it's probably Arko, good soap and nice in this weather.

Good guess that man!

BB548887BG112_250.jpg

Hi James and welcome to TSR! :D

I agree that your first move should be to use proper shaving soap or cream with a brush to make a good lather. Prep your face really well before-hand by showering first or using a hot flannel on your face for a minute or two. Perhaps leave purchasing the razor for a few weeks (if you can resist!!) and get a good routine going first.

The Edwin Jagger is great and the 404 is highly regarded as an amazing value brush. You'll find that when everything is in place you can start trying out different kit to see what works best for you. Most here came to either save money or get a better shave but have got hooked and want to try it all!!

Best of luck with your endeavours, and enjoy yourself!! :p

Back
Top Bottom