Suggestions on a 2nd razor

Don't be mistaking me for an expert, experienced DE shaver or owt. I picked up the tip from a very nice chap on The Shave Nook who pointed me toward an article on it. He had an EJ89 and said it really worked for him so I gave it a try and it's been great for me too. I've only been on the DE train for around three and a half months so very much still a learner like a lot of the new guys here. I have a Gillette Tech that will hopefully hit the doormat today and I will shim that and see if it performs better than the one I used to have. You can add more than one shim if you feel you need it but as we Scots would say, "Ca' canny wi' it!"

It never worked for me in my Rocket HD but I don't know if that has anything to do with the TTO doors.

EDIT: Haha Steve! :icon_lol:

New company jingle:

Shim, shiminee, shim, shiminee, shim, shim, yes-sir-ee,
You try a shim and it might work for thee,
It could wake up your razor, you'll have to see,
But trust Mr Fraser, t'is the only way to be,
Shim, shiminee, shim shiminee, it's shimming for me!

Don't worry, my coat is on and I'm heading for the exit.....:angel:

I get on with my EJ and Tech without shims at the moment... but it's something I would consider if it made the difference...

I'm never sure what difference TTO doors make, compared to the razors you can just clamp down in a mighty fashion... but you have to take as you find

I have always found my Rocket HD a bit draggy (no-one else seems to) and maybe I'll give a shim a try on this first. I suspected it was the angle I was using (and probably is since I did improve it a little when using a shallower angle) but is what you are saying that you couldn't get it to shave better or that an extra blade affected the TTO mechanism? I would guess the latter as most blades of the time the HD was made were thicker?
As you Scotsman say "Och aye the noo." No idea what it means though. Google transalte is no help; there's no option to choose Scottish as the source language and it auto-detects it as English! (the very idea!!!) Everyone round my way says "well jell" (pronouncing the Ls as if they were Ws) and "breem" so apparently fish that has been exceptionally lubricated is worthy of regular mention since it is such a popular colloquialism.

Never met a fellow Scot that actually says, "Och aye the noo". "Och aye", certainly and definitely, "the noo" but seldom or never together. "Oh yes just now", is how I perceive it and I certainly use both separately. Ca' is an abbreviated form of call and as a Scots verb, it is often used to mean to drive, push or work i.e. ca' a nail into wood or in the rude sense: ca' the heid aff it! E.g. "Oof, watchit her muckle doos, boss. Ahm gaun hame ti ca' the heid aff it!"

That would be, "Dae it fer me" or were you meaning your own regional spraffin'?

Now tell me this, you've heard of tattie scones, right?

No I was trying to speak jock. Can't say that I have. What are they? And how do you pronounce the cone part of scone - like cone or like gone? Wife and I argue on that one!

Like gone for me but Scone Palace is really scoone as in moon.

This is a pretty good explanation to me and this is what they look like:

scottish+potatoe+scone.jpg

Served with a fry up or on a roll with sausage, bacon, black pudding or egg (or even all!). Just fine as they are, toasted then buttered. Fair braw!

Mine wasn't great (thread from head broke off when screwed into handle) and I think they did have very patchy quality issues around the time I bought mine (nearly three years ago). May have improved since then.

Back
Top Bottom