Strop leather

bloody hell. Sorry gents, didn't mean to start a debate!
What debate?

And yeah, the thicker the shell, the more expensive the strop. Mine is only 4mm thick. The highest grades of Kanayama can be 5mm thick or thicker. Amazing!

With all of the above being said, a small shell strop will give you just as good an edge as a large shell strop.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is why shell strops are considered so good. It's because shell isn't "leather" as we generally think of it. It's actually a thin layer of dense muscle tissue, not hide. That is why it doesn't have a directional grain, why it has a superb draw, why it makes for the hardest surface, and why it only comes from a small hourglass shaped section of the horse's rump. People have said that stropping on shell (compared to other leathers) increases the length of time before a razor needs to be honed. I can't say how true a fact that is, and it could be simply a placebo effect.

In reality, a good stropper can probably get a better edge from a piece of denim fabric than a poor stropper can get off of a Kanayama 90,000, even though one costs 50p and the other is £395.

Edit: the idea of a poor stropper using a Kanayama 90,000 is really, really scary. Right along the lines of giving a new Lamborghini to a student driver.

Last edited:
Ha yes I get that! Paid 120 for a mountain mikes strop last summer. Put a nick in it the other week and I swear they could hear me screaming from 100 miles away in frustration!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is why shell strops are considered so good. It's because shell isn't "leather" as we generally think of it. It's actually a thin layer of dense muscle tissue, not hide. That is why it doesn't have a directional grain, why it has a superb draw, why it makes for the hardest surface, and why it only comes from a small hourglass shaped section of the horse's rump.

Awesome info thanks. That is shaving anorak top trumps stuff that is :)

I was thinking of making myself a strop and I'm unsure what sort of leather I need I don't want to get the top end leathers as I'll probably mess up on my first attempts. Would any of these leathers be any good for a basic beginner's strop? Also if I use a cheaper leather am I likely to do more harm than good or do they just not work as efficiently as better quality leathers?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381182042192?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=650470345407&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201032844644?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=500231484875&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I would think either would work fine. The top of the leather looks as though it's been run through an embosser to give it a nice finish.

I would sand the top, apply neatsfoot oil, then give it a good once over with the side of a glass bottle to smooth it out again.

For further maintenance, I apply Dr.Marten's Wonder Balsam to my strop once or twice a year to condition it. I don't know of anyone else who does this, but I like the three part ingredient list. Beeswax, lanolin, and coconut oil, none of which should hurt the strop.

Again, this is what I would do. It isn't what most people would probably recommend.

I would think either would work fine. The top of the leather looks as though it's been run through an embosser to give it a nice finish.

I would sand the top, apply neatsfoot oil, then give it a good once over with the side of a glass bottle to smooth it out again.

For further maintenance, I apply Dr.Marten's Wonder Balsam to my strop once or twice a year to condition it. I don't know of anyone else who does this, but I like the three part ingredient list. Beeswax, lanolin, and coconut oil, none of which should hurt the strop.

Again, this is what I would do. It isn't what most people would probably recommend.
Thanks very much for the info

I'd go with the bridle but maybe try and find something a little thicker for a hanging strop. If you are looking to make a bench strop then the 2mm bridle on top of some backing material - dense foam say, should work fine.

Cue 'bridle' joke. A young couple arrive at a hotel - announce they have just married and ask for a special room. The receptionist asked if they would like the bridal to which the young lady replied - no thanks, I'll hang onto his hair until I get used to him.

The references to Cordovan shell has set me thinking - in a post on SRP, Neil Miller decscribes cordovan as simply meaning from Cordoba (Spain) where the type of tanning used on shell was practised. I believe it's the tanning process that results in the shiny and slick finish. You will notice that it differs in finished appearance from the Japanese strops - so I wonder if they can really be referred to as cordovan - as opposed to just shell or horween?

I'm now going to have to try and find what horween is defined as. Interesting thread.

Shell Cordovan can be a mystery. It is fabulously expensive, relatively rare, and looks a lot like normal full grain leather. The question on many minds is “Is it worth it?” It's a fair question worth some research. You get what you pay for, but what are you getting with shell cordovan products that makes them worth the extra scrilla?
Phil Kalas and Nick Horween from Horween Leather Co. are sharing their knowledge of genuine shell cordovan straight from the factory floor with us.

Horween is a legendary tanning company that has stayed private and in family hands. This is quite remarkable given the number of economic challenges America has face over the last 108 years. Horween has remained in family hands, kept a great reputation, and has not compromised on the quality of their shell cordovan.

First, introductions, would you please tell us who are you and what are your responsibilities at Horween Leather Co?
Nick Horween: Horween Leather was founded by my great, great grandfather and my father, Skip, and I currently oversee production on a daily basis.

Phil Kalas: General, non-technical, oversight of production/maintenance/office systems to make sure we make the best possible leather and deliver on time.

How long has Horween been making shell cordovan?
The original product Horween started producing in 1905 was shell cordovan. In fact, this was the only product produced at that time. Shell cordovan was used in razor strops to hone straight razors.

We adapted the tannage slightly by increasing its fat and oil content to make it more supple. Isidore Horween made this adjustment after the invention of the disposable razor which decreased the demand for razor strops. The leather (shell cordovan) was immediately prized for its durability.

How do you “hot stuff” oils and waxes into leather? This sounds like magic! You do this to chromexcel leather as well right?
Truth be told, there is a bit of magic involved. Each piece of leather is a natural product and the food-grade fats we use are also natural products. There is a science to tanning leather but sometimes it is more akin to cooking. Hot stuffing is a process done by very few tanneries in the world. Hot stuffing is technically part of a retanning process where we reintroduce fats/greases/oils to nourish the fibers of the skin. The retanning process is responsible for most of the leather characteristics in terms of tactile and other sensory qualities (look, feel, smell). For hot stuffing we start by steam-heating wooden drums, add retanned or veg tanned leather, and add a special blend of greases, waxes, and oils that are all propriety to Horween and mixed in house special for each product we make. Greases, waxes, and oils are pounded into the skins by the tumbling action of the heated mills. The process is specifically different from other fat liquor methods used where emulsified oils/fats are used to condition and nourish the fibers of the skin — the steam heat is not required to melt the oils/waxes/grease to penetrate the fibers.

Hot stuffing is special because it allows us to use raw, less refined conditioning agents like beeswax, tallow, lanolin and paraffin. These impart very favorable characteristics, like water resistance, and we have to use the hot stuffing process to introduce them as they cannot be emulsified.

How much does the raw shell cordovan leather cost?
Shell cordovan price is determined by the shell size. On average it costs about $100 per square foot but we do not sell by the square foot; just by the piece.

Where do you get the horse hides used for shell cordovan?
Raw material quality is paramount at Horween. A great majority of our horsehides come from France and Canada where horses are still raised as part of food industry.

How are the grades of shell cordovan rated? Aren't there different grades based on size quality?
Shell cordovan is graded 1, X, 2, 3, 4, 5, or chip. The sizes are all equal quality but are different sizes.

What industry uses the most shell cordovan?
Footwear by a great majority.

Very interesting information there Jamie.
Myself I'm a big lover of my Mastro Livi strop. It's a lovely supple bed to glide my razor on. A most enjoyable experience.
DSC_0005_zpse43948ee.jpg

The references to Cordovan shell has set me thinking - in a post on SRP, Neil Miller decscribes cordovan as simply meaning from Cordoba (Spain) where the type of tanning used on shell was practised. I believe it's the tanning process that results in the shiny and slick finish. You will notice that it differs in finished appearance from the Japanese strops - so I wonder if they can really be referred to as cordovan - as opposed to just shell or horween?

I'm now going to have to try and find what horween is defined as. Interesting thread.
You are correct, Cordovan refers to the tanning process, not the color. To the best of my knowledge Cordovan tanning is done by Horween and one other factory in the world. Even plain vegetable tanning is becoming a rarity. Chrome process is cheaper, easier, and quicker. The quality is poor, but the price is cheap.

The Japanese strops start off as a piece of (up to) 12mm thick leather. The master shaves them down to the material he wants. So they can indeed still be Cordovan and yet look very different than German or American made strops.

nice. I found a place in matlock and have some bridle on the way, and when my first paycheck comes through from my new job ill be ordering some kangaroo from OZ.

Back
Top Bottom