Straight Razor

Jeltz said:
missingskin said:
You're not exactly filling me with confidence here.......... :p :p :p :p :shock: :shock:
Don't worry too much, ears are very over rated, having 2 is just greedy really and they are only of use if you wear glasses :lol: :lol:

Aaah nuts guess I need to get an elastic band to hold them on with...........glasses that is and btw I like my ears both of them.......... :twisted: :twisted:

hunnymonster said:
mmmmm Helena Bonham-Carter

mmmmmm indeed, hubba.

11115055.jpg

One should certainly take precautions:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainsawtrousers.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.chainsawtrousers.org.uk/</a><!-- m -->

Well my straight arrived friday from Neil I was expecting a rough looking old razor but to my supprise it looked like new !! (he did me a special starter deal). As I was away to see the family in Stoke for the weekend I decided to leave it until today to have my 1st go with it.
So onto the 1st time it was a mixture of absolute terror and excitement.. :shock: :shock: .. but I managed 2 passes and only 1 slight nick. The only area I cannot suss out is how to shave around the end of my chin so I finished off with a DE.
The other problem I am having is using the strop there is a lot of info on the web about how to do it but people seem to have different ways, so any advice on both problems please guys?
Got to say Neil is a great bloke and has been very kind in getting me started for a very good price .......... :) .....great service !!

The end of the chin is a swine to do. I do it by pulling the skin all over the place to get the bristles onto a flat part of my jaw. Shaving with a straight requires an awful lot more pulling and stretching of the skin than other types of shaving, in my experience.

As for stropping, the method I use is blade flat against the strop, barely any pressure, slide the blade away from me (sharp edge pointing towards me), then roll it over on its spine, blade flat again, slide it back towards me (sharp edge pointing away from me). Repeat a number of times until I'm bored.

They are terrifying at first, aren't they? That fear will go, but you must never lose your respect for a straight.

Terrifying ............the last time I felt that terrified was when I got a ride in a Jaguar fighter...........the pilots used to take the ground crew up and try to make us brick it ........ :lol: :lol:

Talking of terrifying a lady with whom I was formerly stepping out came along with me to a "rally drivers experience day" - at which I had a ball, throwing a car around a course like a lunatic. Anyway at the end of the day one of the instructors said "anyone of the spectators like to come for a spin?", she put her hand up and got the spin...

She's strapped in the passenger seat of this Evo 7 rally car with an insane Finn in the drivers seat so I wandered across and leaned in the window and said to her "Did I remember right you said 'all rally drivers are poofs' about a week ago?". My head was nearly taken off as he hit the gas :eek: :lol:

They arrived back at the start line in about 45 seconds (we'd all been taking a minute or more to get around the lap that was laid out) and we could all hear her screaming right around the whole track over the noise of the engine :D

We ceased stepping out together not long after that.

Good story HM :lol:

Now then, chin shaving. I'm pretty certain that everyone just has to work this out for themselves, and it's going to be a source of tribulation until it clicks. In my case what works is a single pass W-E (as seen in the mirror) for the point of the chin, and a pass S-N from Adam's apple to where I left off. This works exceedingly well now, but only after a good deal of frustration to start with. With both of these strokes I use a slight slicing motion, and stretch the skin tight.

As for stropping, I do exactly the same as Cheese Dave, always in multiples of six :?

missingskin said:
Well my straight arrived friday from Neil I was expecting a rough looking old razor but to my supprise it looked like new !! (he did me a special starter deal). As I was away to see the family in Stoke for the weekend I decided to leave it until today to have my 1st go with it.
So onto the 1st time it was a mixture of absolute terror and excitement.. :shock: :shock: .. but I managed 2 passes and only 1 slight nick. The only area I cannot suss out is how to shave around the end of my chin so I finished off with a DE.
The other problem I am having is using the strop there is a lot of info on the web about how to do it but people seem to have different ways, so any advice on both problems please guys?
Got to say Neil is a great bloke and has been very kind in getting me started for a very good price .......... :) .....great service !!

Yes, Neil´s da candy man :D . First fix is for free or very cheap :twisted:. He´s really a great guy though and a pro!

As for stropping, I do exactly the same as Cheese Dave, always in multiples of six :?

Bit of OCD creeping in there me thinks............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom