Straight razor shaving: a beginner's perspective

Mylo said:
Amazingly, I have just realised that I have used nothing but a straight, or cutthroat, razor since the beginning of February...and I can honestly say that I have really looked forward to each and every shave. It has never been a chore.

Mylo,

I've really enjoyed reading about your experiences. Thank you for posting.

I think that to be really comfortable with a straight razor requires shaving with one regularly. In fact, I think that your decision to shave with one exclusively, whether it was conscious or not, is likely to have been key to your success.

I remember reading the response of an old time boxing trainer when asked about some of the new-fangled training techniques entering the sport. He said, if you want to become a good typist, then type; if you want to be good at punching, punch. The same holds true for a cut throat razor.

I've followed the same path and now my DE safety razors are redundant. I look forward to shaving every morning!

Keep posting, I'm sure that I and many others will find your observations useful!

I think the feeling of taking backward steps is quite common - but you may also find that at certain times you make a huge step forward in terms of quality for no apparent reason. Certainly I found this and, although I was getting pretty close and comfortable shaves within a few months, my technique continued to develop over the first two years - and is still improving.

There are parallels with honing, once you start you think you have it cracked and then along comes a razor that is just impossible to get an edge on. Gradually you find ways of overcoming the problems - which is nothing more than experience really. I've been honing for over two years now but am nowhere near the stage where I can tell what type of stone would benefit a particular razor - and yet the more experienced honers take this in their stride.

Just keep at it and one day when you are not even thinking about it you'll find you have an incredible shave.

Thanks UKRob, all good points. What keeps me going it that in spite of nicks I seem to get a very close, satisfying shave. And as for honing- yes, agree entirely.

Evening all,

I know that I said that the previous post was to be the last but, perhaps bolstered somewhat by a glass or two of wine, I thought that I would share my latest experience on this newish journey with you all.

Having had my Filarmonica honed by Jamie, I was looking forward to having a shave this evening, away from the early morning pressure of having to have everything done by a certain time in order to get to work.

So, Simpson Milk Churn, looking a bit hairless after all these years but still serviceable, and Mondial Bergamot and Neroli, shamelessly taken from Jamie's lead. Great lather and found a new sense of purposefulness in shaving with the Filarmonica for some reason. The difference tonight was that I was less tentative and also that I had adjusted the angle on the blade slightly. Having watched the Jockey video on srp forum it occurred to me that in fact the angle he used was a little less acute than I was accustomed to using. I think that there is a fine difference between too broad and too sharp an angle and it is one that is difficult to assess at first for a beginner. The temptation for a beginner is to use too acute an angle, I think, whereas in the video I mentioned Jockey looks to me to use a wider or more perpendicular angle. Of course, I may be talking rubbish but adjusting the angle slightly seemed to work for me tonight, with a real 'knife down toast' sound.

So, first passes down cheeks seemed ok and I could then put my glasses on! Another point to note is that persisting in using one's non dominant hand pays off. It might be counter intuitive but I now feel relatively comfortable in using my non dominant left hand. So, my advice to beginners would be to keep at this. it might feel difficult at first but it will soon pay dividends, so much so that I almost feel more comfortable shaving my chin with my left hand which is incredible considering how difficult I normally find it.

Talking of chins, which was always my weak point, not only does using my left hand seem to work well but I also found tonight that I achieved a smooth chin by using passes from right to left and also an ATG under chin pass which produced the smoothest chin to date. i also used some ATG passes on the chin to achieve the smoothest, Baby Bottom Shave to date, with only a few nicks.

Lessons learned from today? Tricky...if there were one I think that it would be to be purposeful but light touched, it that makes sense.

Hope that those who are interested in this journey find this useful. I would say keep at it for those who are wondering if all the nicks, blood sweat and tears are worth it. They are.

Mylo

This is very useful even though I'm a barber I've never shaved myself with a straight razor, but will soon remedy that as I on the look out for a nice restored example of either Kropp or Wade & Butcher

Afteroon all,

It struck me that I haven't updated this for some time, so thought that I would add my final thoughts. I haven't looked through all this thread so forgive me if some of this is repetition.

Anyway, my last two shaves have seen me almost nick free (which for me is quite an accomplishment) and yet I have also achieved a pretty close shave although some of that must be down to the superb Filarmonica.

I have now adopted a bit of a routine, having tried some variations, which means shaving both cheeks and then putting on my glasses so I can see better, although I have forgotten on a couple of occasions without too much blood letting. The trick for me is to listen to the razor, which not only helps to identify bits I might have missed but also helps me to get the angle right. I have also adjusted the angle from an acute one to one a bit less so, and this seems to work for me.

The chin for me was always a problem and therein lies the difficulty with straight razor shaving, for me at least. That is, that if you know that shaving the chin is a problem, so that you are tentative, then it will be a problem and you are likely to nick yourself. If instead you approach it confidently I find that I am less likely to cut myself. The other problem if you are tentative, at least for me, is that I tended to use short little strokes rather than have the razor moving before it reached the beard, which in itself can lead to nicks. As I say, this is just what works for me.

Other points: I don't bother with a bowl but lather on to my face. I started using more and more strokes in order to build up a thick creamy lather. You would think that would work best, but due to the fact that I take longer shaving than more expert users, I found that the lather would start drying by the time I came to the moustache area, which I leave to last. So now I just lather enough to lubricate and leave it at that and can honestly say that it seems to work better.

Two other points: I really do encourage beginners to use both hands. Difficult at first I know but if I am anything to go by it won't be long before you feel at ease doing it. It all adds to the sense of achievement.
Square points: I didn't like mine at first but now I prefer it. Just make sure that you always know what it is doing, if not it will bite!

Good luck to all who are thinking of trying straight razor shaving. It really does making shaving a pleasure, allied to a huge sense of achievement. I don't pretend to be an expert but if I can do it anyone can, especially with the support of those on this forum. You know who you are- thanks!

Congratulations Myles you are 90% there by the end of the year you will be able to say you are a straight razor user and not an occasional user I think you have adopted the right attitude you've stuck to your guns and fully committed yourself to the craft of using and mastering this fine Art.

Just to add something from another perspective, I've tried but I simply cannot use my left hand. I am extremely right handed.

However, I can manage perfectly well with my right hand and have adapted my technique accordingly.

So (although it may be preferable) you'll still get a good shave with a straight if you can only use one hand.

Thanks Jamie and yes Tall_Paul, quite agree and I'm not saying that the two handed approach is for everyone. The good thing is that it is a case of each to their own- the journey is equally good.

Mylo said:
Thanks Jamie and yes Tall_Paul, quite agree and I'm not saying that the two handed approach is for everyone. The good thing is that it is a case of each to their own- the journey is equally good.

I've been straight razor shaving since the start of the year and so far its been a pretty satisfying journey ! like you Myles I do 2 passes with a fairly wet lather 1 down and then another from the nose and chin to my ears, which I still have but on the odd occasion manage to nick, incidentally in blood letting terms my brief acquaintance with an ATT de razor caused me more grief.
I really like this way of shaving.. to me it focuses the mind in the same way as racing a sail boat... if you're considering it give it a go.

Terry

Evening all,

I know that it has been some time but I thought that you mighty be interested in seeing my latest purchase. I could have posted this in SOTD or latest acquisitions but finally thought that this might be a fitting end for this thread.

Anyway this is my latest purchase. It is a Japanese western style Star-Raito straight, NOS hollow ground 13/16.

When originally bought, I assumed that it was shave ready, especially as it would pop arm hairs easily and seemed to have a fine bevel according to my unpractised eye. However, I found that it seemed to nick me more than I expected and so I had a go at using my Snow White 8k and then 10k to hone it but even after that I felt that it wasn't much improved.

I felt that the only way to get a good reference point would be to send it off for honing to someone who knew what they were doing, so I sent it off to the ever reliable Jamie to sort it out.

So, a day for turnaround, and I now have it back. Shaved with it this evening and of course it felt like a different razor, giving a very close shave with none of the 'grabbiness' that I had found previously.

So back to the drawing board for me on honing, and thanks to Jamie for showing how it should be done.

Mylo

Attachments

• DSC_0470.jpg
    DSC_0470.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom