Straight razor shaving: a beginner's perspective

[attachment=9854]Having come across some razors which I thought were my grandfather's, but which following a bit of research turn out to have belonged to my great uncle's originally, I thought it might be interesting for those new to straight razors to share my experiences.

I started off using them at the beginning of February, but only at weekends when I had the time to devote to what was a pretty daunting experience at first. I have always wet shaved and have used a DE razor for quite some years now.

The first thing that became apparent was that the razors needed honing. I already had a 1k Shapton. I then bought a 3k/10k combination Naniwa stone and had a go at honing them myself. It soon became apparent that I lacked the skill to get a proper edge.

In the end Jamie (k/s pugh-the-special-one on here) came to the rescue and honed them for me. This was a godsend as I now had a benchmark as to what a well honed blade should feel like when shaving.

I had also taken the plunge a ordered a custom strop form mikes, photos of which I have posted on here. Mike was very easy to deal with and the strop is a work of art.

In the meantime Jamie had been incredibly helpful in answering all my questions, and providing advice.

So, with that in mind, what have I learned?
1 That I am pretty hopeless as shaving with my non dominant hand but persistence has paid off, even though I am still very cack-handed when it comes to my left side.
2 That you do need to take your time.
3 That stretching the skin is the key to a successful shave.
4 That I still find shaving my chin very difficult.
5 That I am achieving a closer shave that with my DE razor, or at least that is what it feels like.
6 That it is incredibly satisfying master a new 'art'.
7 That I find it very rewarding knowing that I am using razors that have been in my family for over a hundred years.

Finally, this is what I used today.

Attachments

• sotd sunday.jpg
    sotd sunday.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 117
Your experiences sound pretty similar to mine. There's nothing quick or easy about it but that's the point. I also enjoy the idea of rediscovering a lost 'art' and feeling a connection with the past.

The pleasure was all mine Myles, your story is a good lesson to anyone there are no quick fixes if you decide to take up using a straight razor it will take you at least 100 shaves before you feel fairly comfortable but there is a real sense of achievement and pride when you pull off a top draw shave with a straight razor.

Evening,

Thought that I would update this since almost a month has gone by since my last post.

If I had posted this two days ago I would have said that it was a case of one step forward, two back but having just had one of my best shaves ever I feel a bit more upbeat. So, to update...I have just realised that I haven't used anything but a straight since I started on this journey in February. Not saying that I use one every day but I was surprised when I realised that was the case. So a few more thoughts, in no particular order:

1 A sign of growing confidence is that I have shaved before work on a couple of occasions, though to be honest I prefer not to as I like to take things slowly and at a leisurely pace. This leisurely pace for me is all part of the 'experience' whereby a chore is turned into a pleasure.

2 I have used a number of my razors and I find that I am starting to be able to tell the difference. For instance, I have an old Rodgers wedge, a Boker King Cutter, a Henckels Friodur and a Filarmonica 6/8 amongst others in my collection (and yes, I do smile when I read people say you save money by straight shaving!) The wedge I found a bit unyielding compared to the Boker which I liked. The Friodur is good but I think needs honing and the Filarmonica gives me the closest shaves but you had better be on your game if you are going to use it, especially with that square point.

3 Talking of which, when using the Filly, the watchword(s) is pay attention to the point and the rest will follow, or at least if you don't, it will bite you.

4 I read some wise words on a forum about making sure that the blade is moving before touching the skin. Although this is difficult to put into practice on the area under the nose (!) it seems to work for me.

5 I still find that I am a bit tentative but the very short, touch up strokes invariably seem to lead to nicks, whereas the more assertive strokes don't.

6 Light is good.

Hope this is of interest. And finally, a new hone has just arrived. Did I mention how much cheaper straight razor shaving is....

It is, really interesting and mirroring my own experiences. The chin area is still causing me some problems and you're right, pay attention to the square points 'cause when they bite, they mean it!

And one other thing while I remember, which is that i could swear that my beard is growing quicker since taking this up, or alternatively, that I wish it were!

Your experience is quite similar to mine in that, even though I was getting reasonable quality shaves with few incidents, sometimes I would move by a big jump in quality without being able to say what caused it. Having reached a new level it would be maintained until the next jump. Strange.

I agree with point 3 more than any ...

I'm a bit of a fan of the Durham Duplex razor, which has an old advert that runs along the lines of "lathered is half-shaved", or something akin. I'd take that and go a little further. Stretched is 2/3 shaved.

... and I'm also pants at shaving my chin.

Mylo,

Thanks for sharing. As a new convert to straight razor shaving, it's very useful to hear about common points of experience.

It is strange how, unexpectedly, the shave improves. I found myself holding the razor in a different way for shaving different areas, as if the razor remembered being used by more competent shavers!

I've never enjoyed shaving as much as I do now, but doubt that I'd have made the leap without the good advice offered on this forum.

By far the easiest way to nick yourself is with a square point IMHO. Even as a more experienced straight user, I still am wary of them.

Good update and congrats on the progress!

Back
Top Bottom