Straight Razor Shave of the Day

Here goes! The Escher/Thungarian is quite small. Works pretty well for these razors, but I'd struggle with my bigger razors I think (8/8, 10/8 etc) but I've been very happy with the edges I got.
The Arkansas is new to me. I did that first test and was not totally convinced, but I've now re-done the edge and spent quite a bit more time on the Arkansas -- it's a very hard stone I don't think I should expect it to cut as quickly as the small black one (which is very fast, 20 passes are largely enough to get a nice edge with it!) -- so I did maybe 100 passes on the Ark and we shall see a bit later if this was the ticket :)

View attachment 97922
Very nice indeed! That's a really small Esher...but if the edges coming from it is great...I am thinking it'll be great for travels.
I've heard a lot about Arkansas stones...yours seems translucent. Yeah, not easy to get the best out of a natural stone. I am having challenges with my La Lune too...
That pair of Bengals looks awesome lah...

Now that I (probably, possibly) figured out how to use the Arkansas on the smaller razors, allowed myself a shave with this big BEEPstard here. New soap from the xmas presents too. Very lavendery -- not a *fantastic* lathering soap TBH... doesn't 'cream up' and tends to vanish from your face. I'll keep it for really quick shaves, or DE use..
ARTrazor Hunter 8/8, full; edge from 1um 3M film, works really really well.

1672246507865.png

Wade & Butcher Shave-Off
Razor #1 Wade & Butcher 13/16 Wedge
Razor #2 Wade & Butcher Steamship 7/8 Wedge
Unexpected shave-off between these 2 antique wedge razors. Both were put through the LaLune with oil and initially wanted to shave with the 13/16 but during the wtg, it feels slightly tuggy while completing the right side and so decided to test the steamship for the left since it's ready anyway...including atg on both lower & upper lips. Turns out both were as smooth but the steamship edge feels softer. The steamship is heavier too. The final results after 3 passes were bbs-ccs on both sides without any issues...
20221231_130750.jpg

"Comfort" shave this morning. 9/8 Drew Dick 1/2, The Fat, 4 passes, amazing shave, zero irritation, baby smooth all over.

I'm quite chuffed because I'm now using my own strop, made of veg tan leather I prepped myself. I don't think it is psychosomatic but I do believe it works a lot better than the other strops I have. I bough a 'custom' one from someone on facebook, and it's certainly well made, but I don't like it as much; the leather is quite thin and seems to 'bend' -- especially with a big ass razor like this. Mine is made of 3.5mm thick leather and has quite a bit more backbone to it.

1672505356071.png

Back
Top Bottom