Straight Razor Shave of the Day

My shave of the day today is a bit of an odd one. Was a good shave although I did pick up a little nick. The razor, well, I'm not sure what to say. It's "allegedly" NOS John & Wm Ragg of Sheffield. Bought speculatively with a mix of suspicion and curiosity from a woman ebay who, when I asked what the scales were made from, said "the box is cardboard" so clearly someone who doesn't know what they're selling. I did not pay too much and thought it worth a punt, but unlikely to be a real Ragg. Well, it's more a reproduction than an antique of course. Stamping on the shank looks convincing but the condition looks like it was made yesterday and scales are plastic, so clearly not 140 years old. I was in two minds as to whether to send it back as not as described, but I figured she would have no clue and it might be a fun little project for honing and maybe putting nicer scales on, so I sharpened it up on my diamond balsa and the black Dialux paste, and blow me down if it doesn't shave smoothly and comfortably! Almost feels blunt but for the absence of stubble afterwards. So, whilst within my rights to complain, I kinda feel like I should have known (well, I did suspect) and actually I quite like it now. Dunno if I will keep it forever but for now I'm enjoying using it.

Will put up pics shortly.

Rest of the SotD details.
Hot flannel and Pears.
Above-mentioned razor
Yaqi Moka Express brush
Soap: old sample of OSP peppermint and rosemary
Bio oil and Tabac to finish

So here are some pics. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, to counterfeit some niche product that goes on Ebay for the same price as a Stiz. Metal quality seems good too, as its taken and held a decent edge. What on earth have I got here?!
20211101_092954.jpg20211101_093038.jpg20211101_093110.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom