SOTD: Saturday November 2nd 2019 to Friday November 8th 2019

Thank you R. for the feedback and kind words. I'm always interested to know how people get on with it - I suspected that it might do well as a pre-shave soap - I am toying with the idea of adding an exfoliant to future versions to see if that makes it better for that use. What do you think? I'm assuming that your water is soft? It didn't do so well in London I'm told - the scents hold - but a pig to lather properly apparently - which is no great surprise I guess - hard water that has been recycled through two dozen sets of kidneys before it comes out the tap. I'm working on some new scent profiles for the next batch - @Blademonkey - has nominated something along the lines of lavender and orange - anything you would like to suggest? For that matter - if anyone reading this wants to chip in - feel free - if I use your idea - I will send you a couple as a thank you. Cheers - I.
Hi I

I like the idea of an exfoliant yes , I think then it would make a wonderful substitute for face wash , a deep clean and an after feel that is out of this world.

The water here is soft yes, when I first moved all my soaps seemed like they were on steroids as I came from somewhere with hard water , I have been using it for the last 3 days as a preshave and it is excellent. Stealing a scent from Bart's Balms but I have a balm which is grapefruit and Black Pepper and those 2 seem to blend wonderfully.

Tuesday 5th November

Vitos Pre Shave Cream
Tabac Shaving Stick
Rooney Super Badger Brush
Schick Grip with a Proline-B
Thayers Witch Hazel with Cucumber
Palmer's Moisturiser
Tabac EDC

I was a very early start today for a long shift and 17hrs on.....I am still very respectable. The Schick Grip is mild .....but very efficient.
3 passes for an excellent shave :)

I haven't gone rogue on my shaving routine recently but a number of days on various updating courses has seen me either too knackered or too 'I can't be bothered my arse' for an entry on SOTD.

So today I have made a bit more of a concerted effort and so I present my shave with the theme 'A more concerted effort'

View attachment 48806

I can't be bothered - Stainless Colonial General
A what? - Kai Captain
Yeh that'll do - Razorock 400
Ah sod that - Extro Postiano
Do I really have to? - Dior Eau Sauvage

Even in a weary state after a day of updating my proficiency in fire fighting there is always time for a shave. It is a sheer luxury to lose one's self in razor activity and how bloody refreshing it rounds off the day.

And if any razor is going to make short work for the sake of being idle then the General is always going to be that razor. And it did exactly that. Three full passes to that stairway to heaven some obscure band once sang of.

Still up there as a top soap the Extro is always going to perform superbly and this evening was no let down. Thrown together via the Razorock and life looks better.

The Eau Sauvage is a recent purchase and very nice indeed. It reminds me of 1881 and Prada luna Rosa Carbon but without the strong edge those two carry.

Things I learnt today

1. Shaving is great (but I already knew that)
  2. I am getting too old for this updating shit. But retirement is not that far away
  3. No amount of Eau Sauvage is going to remove the smell of fires and burning

But, I am smoother than my own bottom (which isn't difficult) and smelling slightly better than the charred scent I appear to be carrying.

But as much as 'I can't be bothered my arse' I certainly can be bothered with some pretty Japanese metal girlie's

Be well all you folk out there and I hope you have more enthusiasm with your shaves than me at the moment.

Ps. @Digimonkey I am working on your challenge. I am working on it
Merseyside Fire and Rescue?

Hi I

I like the idea of an exfoliant yes , I think then it would make a wonderful substitute for face wash , a deep clean and an after feel that is out of this world.

The water here is soft yes, when I first moved all my soaps seemed like they were on steroids as I came from somewhere with hard water , I have been using it for the last 3 days as a preshave and it is excellent. Stealing a scent from Bart's Balms but I have a balm which is grapefruit and Black Pepper and those 2 seem to blend wonderfully.
Thanks R. - I think that I will go back to the drawing board and come up with a recipe that is specifically designed as a pre-shave soap - rather than one that doubles for that purpose and as a shower bar. Recently - I have been using the Bulldog brand facial scrub - never thought to try it before - but it was half price in Tesco - and - for me - it really enhances the end result - I like the grittiness of it - taking off dead skin cells - the post feel of a shave is the better for using it. Hence the thoughts about adding an exfoliate to my soap. I'll need to go learn about them - first thoughts - ground olive stones - avoids nut allergies - pumice - Moroccan clay - might give further slickness - to the following shave? I note your scent suggestion - something to work with - but I can't 'lift' another man's scent profile - doubly so - as the creator of the excellent - Bart's Balms - is a member here - he might read this - ha ha - @BartsBalm - black pepper seems - also to match up with - cedarwood - I don't know what you think about that? So - leave it with me - I trust that you and @Blademonkey - would be willing to be guinea pigs - in the process? The base is the all important thing - when you get to using the argan oil one - let me know how you found it. - yours - I.

Thanks R. - I think that I will go back to the drawing board and come up with a recipe that is specifically designed as a pre-shave soap - rather than one that doubles for that purpose and as a shower bar. Recently - I have been using the Bulldog brand facial scrub - never thought to try it before - but it was half price in Tesco - and - for me - it really enhances the end result - I like the grittiness of it - taking off dead skin cells - the post feel of a shave is the better for using it. Hence the thoughts about adding an exfoliate to my soap. I'll need to go learn about them - first thoughts - ground olive stones - avoids nut allergies - pumice - Moroccan clay - might give further slickness - to the following shave? I note your scent suggestion - something to work with - but I can't 'lift' another man's scent profile - doubly so - as the creator of the excellent - Bart's Balms - is a member here - he might read this - ha ha - @BartsBalm - black pepper seems - also to match up with - cedarwood - I don't know what you think about that? So - leave it with me - I trust that you and @Blademonkey - would be willing to be guinea pigs - in the process? The base is the all important thing - when you get to using the argan oil one - let me know how you found it. - yours - I.
Always a willing guinea pig! :) P.

SOTD 20191106.
HMnz7RW.jpg

Noxzema "Protective Shave".
J&T® katalox / OUMO Brush imitation silvertip synth.
Stirling "Varen" shaving soap (sample).
Homelikeshaving "START" 0.90 OC / custom handle.
Personna Platinum Chrome (7).
Stirling "Varen" ASB (sample).

Williams Wednesday- 6th Nov.

Simpson chubby 1 / Maggards 2band
Williams Mug Soap
Ever Ready 1912-bathroom set
Gem S/S [ 2 ]
Jaguar Prestige A/S Lotion

This later version of the 1912 really works well with a modern blade, and provides a really smooth shave. Being in no hurry I was without any problems able to get a satisfyingly close all round finish. I reckon everyone should give the Williams a run out, very cheap and I never seem to have a poor shave when I use it.

IMG_0244.jpg

Last edited:
06/11/2019
Pre shave prep: Pears Original Transparent
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: GFCC Caribbean Lime
Razor: Rockwell 6S #4
Blade: Polsilver (4)
Post Shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Homemade Witch Hazel with added oils
Balm: Barts Balm Lime Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: CK Be

5 Wed.JPG

I upped the efficiency by swapping to plate #4 and was rewarded with a very nice shave indeed.
Another great Lather from the Smog hog & GFCC Caribbean Lime cream, not over powering and very slick. Again there was some residue to clean off the razor at the end of the shave, no real hardship as the performance is very good.
3 Passes for a very nice face feeler and comfortable finish.
Topped off with a very nice post shave routine
Towards the end of the shave ATG i was getting more audio feedback than normal, although the blade was still cutting well. Maybe one more run out tomorrow? I have messed the blade around a bit.
Feeling and smelling good & ready for my dental check up.
Have a great day All.

Back
Top Bottom